• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

COVID Getting a COVID-19 Test in SdeC

Year of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
"Starting January 26, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) will require all passengers flying to the U.S., including U.S. citizens, show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of departure, or documentation of recovery...."

I know that I can easily get a COVID-19 test before I fly from the US to Spain in September. ... But it just now struck me that I have absolutely NO idea how I might obtain a COVID-19 test in SdeC, when it comes time to fly from Spain back to the US! ... Can anyone speak to that?

Last edited:
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I am assuming you could get one at some of the private clinics in Santiago. Here is the biggest one...
..but no signs of information regarding these on the mail page. Most people do this in public hospitals by recommendation of your doctor.

I am sure that by the time that you will be traveling, there will be more places that offers this. It is still early on..

Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), Old Way (2020), VFnS (2020), CP (rebooked) (2021), VdT (ToDo)
Interesting question which may come up a few times.

I've checked the airport site (http://aena.es) which then refers to the Spanish Ministry of Health (https://www.mscbs.gob.es). This in turn refers to a list of International Vaccination Centers, one of which is the University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela.

Things may change but you might want to check directly with the UHC or Ivar might if you ask him.

El Cascayal

Primitivo May 2019
Invierno November 2019
Ingles April (2020) postponed
We are all chomping on the Camino bit and aching for it. It is a day to day phenomenon that is constantly changing. We have no way to know future 🦠numbers or % adequately vaccinated in the near future. My 2 cents: we also walk who only dream and watch and wait.

Holy Year Credential
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Dojo

I was thinking the same thing about how to get a COVID test/results prior to flying back to US. Need to find rapid COVID testing centers in SdC and Madrid. Please keep us posted.

Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), Old Way (2020), VFnS (2020), CP (rebooked) (2021), VdT (ToDo)
There is a certain amount of complexity in this question. The unknowns are which Spanish airport will attract sufficient international travel to warrant a local testing operation. The list of busiest airports only shows arrivals but not from where. In addition, there is no guarantee that airlines will continue to fly to the regional airports and may consolidate around a few major hubs. So you could fly into SdC but the testing may be a Madrid or Barcelona or Palma.

Hopefully the idea of a vaccination passport within the EU starts to take shape. Seems a logical idea for FOM.

Arn

Veteran Member
I will receive vaccination #2 on February 22nd. The Veterans Hospital issues a vaccination certificate (actually a card) which indicates your name, the date, the batch of the vaccine (Pfizer). You laminate it and carry in your passport if traveling outside the USA, or here there are states that may require verification.
Since I can't go on Camino right now, I will be traveling to Vermont the end of February to play in the snow. VT requires that, I being out of state, to self quarantine for 7 days prior to travel and get a COVID test three days before entering.
Still holding thumbs that a Fall Camino is in the cards (vaccination cards that is).

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Holy Year Credential
April 25 2019
I am assuming you could get one at some of the private clinics in Santiago. Here is the biggest one...
..but no signs of information regarding these on the mail page. Most people do this in public hospitals by recommendation of your doctor.

I am sure that by the time that you will be traveling, there will be more places that offers this. It is still early on..

"Starting January 26, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) will require all passengers flying to the U.S., including U.S. citizens, show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of departure, or documentation of recovery...."

I know that I can easily get a COVID-19 test before I fly from the US to Spain in September. ... But it just now struck me that I have absolutely NO idea how I might obtain a COVID-19 test in SdeC, when it comes time to fly from Spain back to the US! ... Can anyone speak to that?
LABORATORIOCLINICOSANTIAGO.ES . Make an appointment one week in advance. Result 24- 48 hours.

CWBuff

There is a certain amount of complexity in this question. The unknowns are which Spanish airport will attract sufficient international travel to warrant a local testing operation. The list of busiest airports only shows arrivals but not from where. In addition, there is no guarantee that airlines will continue to fly to the regional airports and may consolidate around a few major hubs. So you could fly into SdC but the testing may be a Madrid or Barcelona or Palma.

Hopefully the idea of a vaccination passport within the EU starts to take shape. Seems a logical idea for FOM.
While I am not saying anything here ANTI-vaccination passport please take into consideration that is seems that nobody is asking whether or not you have been vaccinated; rather it is still down to "show proof that you have tested negative within the last 3 days" - THAT, IMHO is a headache-du-jour so to speak

LABORATORIOCLINICOSANTIAGO.ES . Make an appointment one week in advance. Result 24- 48 hours.
One week in advance and still playing with unknown. If one does not have 48 hours to wait for result (I am sure that there are enough folks who "must leave tomorrow" - i.e. the day after they arrived in SdC) or for instance if someone is continues on to Muxia or Finisterre - throws a nice monkey wrench into all planning

I agree with @trecile - I'll worry about getting any testing in Spain when Spain will allow me to get in to begin with

April 25 2019
Does not appear to exist

Tusmedicos.es
Does not appear to exist

Www.Tumedico.es , this is working now. To book at website. In Santiago de C. For if you need a Neg. PCR- test to come back home.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store