• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Getting a COVID-19 Test in SdeC

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
"Starting January 26, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) will require all passengers flying to the U.S., including U.S. citizens, show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of departure, or documentation of recovery...."

I know that I can easily get a COVID-19 test before I fly from the US to Spain in September. ... But it just now struck me that I have absolutely NO idea how I might obtain a COVID-19 test in SdeC, when it comes time to fly from Spain back to the US! ... Can anyone speak to that?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am assuming you could get one at some of the private clinics in Santiago. Here is the biggest one...
..but no signs of information regarding these on the mail page. Most people do this in public hospitals by recommendation of your doctor.

I am sure that by the time that you will be traveling, there will be more places that offers this. It is still early on..

Interesting question which may come up a few times.

I've checked the airport site (http://aena.es) which then refers to the Spanish Ministry of Health (https://www.mscbs.gob.es). This in turn refers to a list of International Vaccination Centers, one of which is the University Hospital Complex of Santiago de Compostela.

Things may change but you might want to check directly with the UHC or Ivar might if you ask him.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are all chomping on the Camino bit and aching for it. It is a day to day phenomenon that is constantly changing. We have no way to know future 🦠numbers or % adequately vaccinated in the near future. My 2 cents: we also walk who only dream and watch and wait.

I was thinking the same thing about how to get a COVID test/results prior to flying back to US. Need to find rapid COVID testing centers in SdC and Madrid. Please keep us posted.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a certain amount of complexity in this question. The unknowns are which Spanish airport will attract sufficient international travel to warrant a local testing operation. The list of busiest airports only shows arrivals but not from where. In addition, there is no guarantee that airlines will continue to fly to the regional airports and may consolidate around a few major hubs. So you could fly into SdC but the testing may be a Madrid or Barcelona or Palma.

Hopefully the idea of a vaccination passport within the EU starts to take shape. Seems a logical idea for FOM.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will receive vaccination #2 on February 22nd. The Veterans Hospital issues a vaccination certificate (actually a card) which indicates your name, the date, the batch of the vaccine (Pfizer). You laminate it and carry in your passport if traveling outside the USA, or here there are states that may require verification.
Since I can't go on Camino right now, I will be traveling to Vermont the end of February to play in the snow. VT requires that, I being out of state, to self quarantine for 7 days prior to travel and get a COVID test three days before entering.
Still holding thumbs that a Fall Camino is in the cards (vaccination cards that is).

I am assuming you could get one at some of the private clinics in Santiago. Here is the biggest one...
..but no signs of information regarding these on the mail page. Most people do this in public hospitals by recommendation of your doctor.

I am sure that by the time that you will be traveling, there will be more places that offers this. It is still early on..

"Starting January 26, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) will require all passengers flying to the U.S., including U.S. citizens, show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of departure, or documentation of recovery...."

I know that I can easily get a COVID-19 test before I fly from the US to Spain in September. ... But it just now struck me that I have absolutely NO idea how I might obtain a COVID-19 test in SdeC, when it comes time to fly from Spain back to the US! ... Can anyone speak to that?
LABORATORIOCLINICOSANTIAGO.ES . Make an appointment one week in advance. Result 24- 48 hours.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a certain amount of complexity in this question. The unknowns are which Spanish airport will attract sufficient international travel to warrant a local testing operation. The list of busiest airports only shows arrivals but not from where. In addition, there is no guarantee that airlines will continue to fly to the regional airports and may consolidate around a few major hubs. So you could fly into SdC but the testing may be a Madrid or Barcelona or Palma.

Hopefully the idea of a vaccination passport within the EU starts to take shape. Seems a logical idea for FOM.
While I am not saying anything here ANTI-vaccination passport please take into consideration that is seems that nobody is asking whether or not you have been vaccinated; rather it is still down to "show proof that you have tested negative within the last 3 days" - THAT, IMHO is a headache-du-jour so to speak

LABORATORIOCLINICOSANTIAGO.ES . Make an appointment one week in advance. Result 24- 48 hours.
One week in advance and still playing with unknown. If one does not have 48 hours to wait for result (I am sure that there are enough folks who "must leave tomorrow" - i.e. the day after they arrived in SdC) or for instance if someone is continues on to Muxia or Finisterre - throws a nice monkey wrench into all planning

I agree with @trecile - I'll worry about getting any testing in Spain when Spain will allow me to get in to begin with

Does not appear to exist

Tusmedicos.es
Does not appear to exist

Www.Tumedico.es , this is working now. To book at website. In Santiago de C. For if you need a Neg. PCR- test to come back home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Anyone already have experience with this firm, in SdeC?

If so: (1) how far in advance did you make your reservation for a test?; and (2) how quickly did you receive your test results? Immediately? Hours? Days?

Hi all,

I browsed through all threads which mention Covid testing options in Santiago, however I couldn't find an answer, and Google is not helpful either.

For my flight back home to Germany, I'm seeking for a place in Santiago
- to perform a rapid antigen test - not a PCR test and not a self-test
- open on Saturdays (I checked all labs - they are Mo-Fri only)
- issuing a decent fit-to-fly certificate

I heard that some pharmacies in Spain offer it, however I cannot find any online.

Has anyone recently been to Santiago or is currently staying in Santiago, are there test providers other than labs, or do pharmacies advertise this service locally?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi all,

I browsed through all threads which mention Covid testing options in Santiago, however I couldn't find an answer, and Google is not helpful either.

For my flight back home to Germany, I'm seeking for a place in Santiago
- to perform a rapid antigen test - not a PCR test and not a self-test
- open on Saturdays (I checked all labs - they are Mo-Fri only)
- issuing a decent fit-to-fly certificate

I heard that some pharmacies in Spain offer it, however I cannot find any online.

Has anyone recently been to Santiago or is currently staying in Santiago, are there test providers other than labs, or do pharmacies advertise this service locally?

Thanks!

Andy
Hi Andy,
I got back from Santiago 1 week ago today. There are Clínicas and labs there that do antigen but none on Saturday. Clínica Gaias, where I was tested on a Friday said, in their small print, Saturday by appointment. Though Friday was by appointment too. You may want to check them out.
Clínicagaias.com
+34 981 56 68 01
Hope this helps. Ask at your lodging when you check in in Santiago. Buen Camino,
Aymarah

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you.

Well, if even Ivar as a local has no hint, it means that there are no (further) options.

It's funny. Santiago is a very touristy place but the testing business ignores the demand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone know the turn around time for the Antigen or PCR Test? I was thinking we might have to get tested on a Monday if our flight is on a Tuesday. Since no clinics seem to be open on the weekends.

Thanks!

Does anyone know the turn around time for the Antigen or PCR Test? I was thinking we might have to get tested on a Monday if our flight is on a Tuesday. Since no clinics seem to be open on the weekends.

Thanks!

We went through the clinic Quirón Prevención recently. They partner with Iberia to offer PCR tests to passengers at a 90€ cost. My appointment was on a Monday at 1pm and I received the results the next day at 6pm or so. But they had told us it could take up to 48 hours. I think they, too, don't offer weekend hours.

I hear you - it's complicated if you have a flight earlier in the week and there are no clinic weekend hours! :(

We went through the clinic Quirón Prevención recently. They partner with Iberia to offer PCR tests to passengers at a 90€ cost. My appointment was on a Monday at 1pm and I received the results the next day at 6pm or so. But they had told us it could take up to 48 hours. I think they, too, don't offer weekend hours.

I hear you - it's complicated if you have a flight earlier in the week and there are no clinic weekend hours! :(
Did you see any antigen test center at the Santiago airport Faith?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you see any antigen test center at the Santiago airport Faith?

No, not at all. Admittedly, I wasn't looking for one, but nothing like that jumped out to me.

In fact, the only things open were one cafe and the duty-free section. I don't think anything else was....so I probably would've noticed an antigen test center amidst the surrounding quiet.

No, not at all. Admittedly, I wasn't looking for one, but nothing like that jumped out to me.

In fact, the only things open were one cafe and the duty-free section. I don't think anything else was....so I probably would've noticed an antigen test center amidst the surrounding quiet.
I'm hoping Madrid has the rapid tests. It looks like the UK will be shut to our trip in September, so I'm changing to walk the Camino Ingles. Flexibility ;). Actually, any reason to go to Spain is a good one.

I'm hoping Madrid has the rapid tests. It looks like the UK will be shut to our trip in September, so I'm changing to walk the Camino Ingles. Flexibility ;). Actually, any reason to go to Spain is a good one.
Is there something you know that I do not about entering UK in September? Has there been another announcement?
I am supposed to go from the US to Scotland in October. I change planes at Heathrow to get to Glasgow. In November I fly from Lisbon to return home, changing again at Heathrow. I am hoping I do not need to cancel everything. My Plan B if I am not allowed to go to Scotland is to take easyJet to Spain when I arrive at Heathrow and just lose the LHR-GLA part of the ticket.
I suppose I will need to tell my airline that I am still planning on taking the return flight--I have a recollection that if you miss a portion of your journey, they think you are not doing any of the remaining flights. Maybe that has now changed.
Ah the joys of SARS-2.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is there something you know that I do not about entering UK in September? Has there been another announcement?
I am supposed to go from the US to Scotland in October. I change planes at Heathrow to get to Glasgow. In November I fly from Lisbon to return home, changing again at Heathrow. I am hoping I do not need to cancel everything. My Plan B if I am not allowed to go to Scotland is to take easyJet to Spain when I arrive at Heathrow and just lose the LHR-GLA part of the ticket.
I suppose I will need to tell my airline that I am still planning on taking the return flight--I have a recollection that if you miss a portion of your journey, they think you are not doing any of the remaining flights. Maybe that has now changed.
Ah the joys of SARS-2.
There was talk about creating a travel corridor between the UK and USA, but the UK decided as of now to hold off and maintain restrictions. I think they are watching how well our vaccinations hold up? Right now (and it could change if the UK starts a rapid vaccination push), if you go to the UK, you must quarantine, have the PCR (more expensive) test before entry, a test on the 2nd day and 8th day of quarantine. We are only going for 15 days, so this would throw a wrench into walking the West Highland Way. I'm waiting until September 1st to change my plans. I booked all my accommodations last March with the option to cancel free. It helps my anxiety to know that I can return to Spain and explore another route if my plans change for Scotland. Tough times. Stay safe. The USA requires the antigen test upon re-entry (not the PCR).

There was talk about creating a travel corridor between the UK and USA, but the UK decided as of now to hold off and maintain restrictions. I think they are watching how well our vaccinations hold up? Right now (and it could change if the UK starts a rapid vaccination push), if you go to the UK, you must quarantine, have the PCR (more expensive) test before entry, a test on the 2nd day and 8th day of quarantine. We are only going for 15 days, so this would throw a wrench into walking the West Highland Way. I'm waiting until September 1st to change my plans. I booked all my accommodations last March with the option to cancel free. It helps my anxiety to know that I can return to Spain and explore another route if my plans change for Scotland. Tough times. Stay safe. The USA requires the antigen test upon re-entry (not the PCR).
OK thanks. I will continue to be patient (NOT!) and see what shakes out come September. (I am one of those Planners, so this is a lesson for me to Be Here Now.)
I take it you are in the US--where abouts are you?
BTW the WHW is great fun.

I just checked and there is a testing center at the Madrid airport now. Iberia Airlines site has the information.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, BoJo's announcement yesterday has thrown in another spanner. For all we know by the time we travel in autumn, all of Europe will be locked down because of so many increased cases. No sense worrying about it now.

I am wondering the exact same thing- I am planning to fly to Casablanca on the 30th, or 1st- I have the exact same question-- WHERE to get the Covid 19- they need proof within 72 hours of coming into Casablanca!-- do we go to the Airport for the test?

Rappahannock-
Did you ever figure out where to get the Covid Test in Spain-- Specifically in Santiago del Compostella?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thank you!

I just checked and there is a testing center at the Madrid airport now. Iberia Airlines site has the information.
Hey,

I am planning on ordering this test to take with us for our Camino in October. https://www.emed.com/?hsLang=en

You will need to have internet as it is a telehealth for the testing.
Our flight leaves Monday evening (for US) from SC to Madrid. We have an overnight in Madrid. I did look at Madrid airport and you can get an antigen test there. I might do that as well. When I looked AA site it said the 3 days before your first flight on the itinerary which puts us on Monday and not Tuesday. On the weekends there isn't any testing available that I can find currently for testing in SC. There is an antigen test in A Coruña. https://www.tumedico.es/es/compra/2814-4925-532/Test-de-Antigenos-COVID-19/A-Coruna-Matogrande
I looked up the train to go there (A Coruña) and it is about 30 min. To get to Matogrande is it another 20 or so. (Mon-Friday).

In Santiago you can get the PCR Test (M-F) https://www.tumedico.es/es/compra/2442-4855/Test-COVID-19-por-PCR/Reservar-en-Santiago-de-Compostela (It says up to 48 hrs to get results)

Hope this helps.

Did Iberia arrange it for you?

Did Iberia arrange it for you?

Hi @jalluisi, Iberia offered the discount, but knowing that, we had to contact Quirón and set up the appointment ourselves. I told them we were flying with Iberia, but I can't remember if we had to provide the flight number. In any case, they accepted that we were flying w/ Iberia and gave us the discount. I believe the discount also applies if you're flying with American Airlines and British Airways....but one may want to confirm that.

Buen Camino!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.