• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a credencial in Bilbao

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hi, does anyone know where I can get a credencial at Bilbao tomorrow (Monday) please?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pierre,

That's not about the credencial, but since you are arriving to Bilbao today, I thought I'll let you know (and other pilgrims walking in the Basque Country), that tomorrow, on Monday, the government of Basque Country will declare the State of Sanitary Emergency (source in Spanish). It may have no impact on walking the Camino in Basque country, as well as it may have an impact. It might be just a political thing to take over decisions from the government in Madrid, I don't know. It's not a reason for panic. It's not a lockdown, for sure. But after arriving in Bilbao you should find out what it means and make your own decisions.

Since you have walked in this area before, you certanly know that the first bigger town just outside Basque Country, in Cantabria, is Castro Urdiales, if you decided, for example, to start walking from there. There are buses from Bilbao to Castro Urdiales, as it is a popular beach town not far from Bilbao (half an hour by bus).

Buen Camino! 🐢

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The cathedral.
Thanks, that's what I thought, but with so many places shut and everything so uncertain these days I wasn't sure. The cathedral is shut this afternoon and doesn't open till 11 tomorrow. Maybe someone might know somewhere else? Thanks

Pierre,

That's not about the credencial, but since you are arriving to Bilbao today, I thought I'll let you know (and other pilgrims walking in the Basque Country), that tomorrow, on Monday, the government of Basque Country will declare the State of Sanitary Emergency (source in Spanish). It may have no impact on walking the Camino in Basque country, as well as it may have an impact. It might be just a political thing to take over decisions from the government in Madrid, I don't know. It's not a reason for panic. It's not a lockdown, for sure. But after arriving in Bilbao you should find out what it means and make your own decisions.

Since you have walked in this area before, you certanly know that the first bigger town just outside Basque Country, in Cantabria, is Castro Urdiales, if you decided, for example, to start walking from there. There are buses from Bilbao to Castro Urdiales, as it is a popular beach town not far from Bilbao (half an hour by bus).

Buen Camino! 🐢
Hi Arthur, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for letting me know v. I've been here many times - but struck by how quiet it is this evening. Just masked locals walking around. So lovely to be back. Though I'm still not sure which Camino I'm doing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's my back up plan!

And when you do find a credencial, buy TWO, so you have one spare for the start of your next camino :D. They are not too heavy to carry ;).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.