• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a Credencial in Hondarribia?

TaraWalks

Peregrina without a skateboard
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016 & 2018, planning for Le Puy 2019/2020ish and for some shorter Caminos stacked
Hi Everyone,
My husband and I will be starting the Norte (and then Primativo) 16th of May. We have decided we don't want to start in Irun and would prefer to start from Hondarribia. Does anyone know of somewhere to purchase a credencial there?

Thanks in advance.
Tara

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don’t know if any place in Hondarribia but you can get them at the albergue in Irún, and the albergue is on the edge of town in the direction of Hondarribia. I don’t know which way your travels are taking you there but it doesn’t seem like a big detour.

Thanks so much. We were hoping to not have to detour back if possible but will if we have to.
Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is it possible you could get one before you leave? There are credencials in the Camino Forum store.

Hi @tjz, good point.

I have tried this but the store is charging me $46.00 AUD for shipping to Australia. It will only allow me to select one shipping method, hence the $46.00 shipping.

I've been meaning to chat to @ivar about it.

Ivar, are there any other options for postage? I don't need the credencials until May :)

It might not be aesthetically what you’re looking for; but you could collect sellos on plan paper and affix them to a credencial when you can pick one up? Have you any blank pages on previous credenciales which you could use ? I always present a much taped-together document which contains at least one real credencial when I get to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hondarribia is one of my favourite towns. Have started the del Norte from there a number of times, in preference to Irun. I’ve often walked the few kms between the two the day before starting out, but if you prefer not to do that there are regular buses - about 20 mins. And an even shorter taxi ride.

Enjoy 😎

Last edited:
PS. Tara I just remembered that the tourist office in Hondarribia, opposite the Parador, has Camino related things, and possibly a credenciale.

How are you arriving to Hondarribia? If by train from France, you could get a credenciale in Bayonne 😎

The page of the Australian Friends of the Camino that gives details about how to receive their credencial.
I'm assuming this is currently working, but perhpas an Aussie member of the forum can confirm?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It might not be aesthetically what you’re looking for; but you could collect sellos on plan paper and affix them to a credencial when you can pick one up? Have you any blank pages on previous credenciales which you could use ? I always present a much taped-together document which contains at least one real credencial when I get to Santiago.
That’s a good idea!
Thanks 😄

PS. Tara I just remembered that the tourist office in Hondarribia, opposite the Parador, has Camino related things, and possibly a credenciale.

How are you arriving to Hondarribia? If by train from France, you could get a credenciale in Bayonne 😎
Thankyou for your replies 😀
We are travelling to Hendaye via train, walking to the Hendaye decathlon to grab a pole each and then getting the ferry to Hondarribia, hence trying to find a credencial there. If all else fails I could do the blank paper thing or chase one up in Irún 👍🏼

The page of the Australian Friends of the Camino that gives details about how to receive their credencial.
I'm assuming this is currently working, but perhpas an Aussie member of the forum can confirm?
Thanks for the tip. I’d forgotten about this. I had one of their Caminos for my 2016 CF. It’s another option.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.