• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a credencial - you do not have to join the CSJ ...

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
or indeed any other organisation to get a credencial or Pilgrim Passport.

Whilst the Confraternity of St James is certainly worth supporting in response to enquiries it is worth pointing out that Credenciales (also known as Pilgrim Passports) are readily available in Spain and at a number of other places in Europe. In Spain they are available at albergues, many cathedrals and from the offices of organisations such as the Amigos of the Camino de Santiago. These exist in many other countries.

Credenciales are available at the start of all of the main routes to Santiago - Le Puy, St Jean Pied de Port, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Sarria, Lisbon, Oporto, Seville, Salamanca, Ourense, Ferrol and many other places along these ways.

The official credencial of the Cathedral of Santiago is issued directly to pilgrims at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago at a suggested donation of 0.75€. These credenciales are also supplied to the albergues and Amigos organisations accross Spain and Europe. The suggested donation is printed on the credencial.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh boy, John. Do I want to be stood next to Marion Marples (CSJ Secretary) when she next sees you?

You bet! :lol:

Valid point though.

In 2004 from SJPP to Finisterre I used both the CSJ credential and the one issued by the pilgrim office in SJPP. Needed them both as I collect sellos.

A lot of pilgrims admired my CSJ credential and several said, next time I come I'm going to have one of those. I explained that they would have to join the CSJ for a year and their attitude was, no worries.

We are CSJ members and appreciate the support and information we receive. (This includes a quarterly bulletin and info/updates about their 2 albergues.) Anyone can buy the CSJ guides etc and send in updates to help future pilgrims.
As said above you need to be a member to apply for the CSJ credencial. We entirely agree that it is the best around with good big spaces for the sellos. This year, just for a change, Terry used a credencial from the Cámara Santa. Good to have, but it had very small spaces and also kept getting 'lost' among the other papers in the map file. My CSJ one showed up easily.
For next year we have already applied for our CSJ credenciales, giving the information asked for:- membership no, Camino planned, month and place of starting.

It would be interesting to know how many forum members are also members of their country's confraternity and use their credenciales compared to how many just use those available on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My point was exclusively about the availability and price of Credenciales rather than their relative merits.

However whilst on that subject I would say that I have used the CSJ credencial on several long Caminos - Seville - Santiago for example and I have grown to dislike it thoroughly. It is the size of a school exercise book (in fact quite resembles one) and it does not fit conveniently into any shirt, trouser or jacket pocket. This means it inevitably has to be packed in the rucksack if it is to keep its original shape. This is not helpful particularly in inclement weather. But on the other hand it has quite large boxes for sellos and the cover is quite pretty if you like that sort of thing.

The Irish credencial is excellent at less than half the size but with big boxes for selos and very useable. Credenciales are now appearing from Japan to Croatia - all designed for the walker, convenient to fit in a pocket and handy to pack.

Point taken John, in fact we are spoiled for choice on availability (and also style) of credenciales.

We keep ours in with our guide in a map holder (round the neck type) and both guide and CSJ type credencial fit well in it. Less risk of losing them. However the ready availability of the credencial along the route is good in case of loss (disaster :evil: ) or if the original one gets filled up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is it possible to gain a passport to stay at the auberges along the camino primivito in Oviedo? We have heard about the camino mainly from word of mouth and are hoping to start in a couple of days but do not have a membership? (and not sure to what we're supposeed to be members??) We do have a tent but would very much prefere to stay inside, alongside other pilgrims. We arrive in Oviedo and plan to start the wal on thursday or friday

When we first started these trips in 2001, we read somewhere that one needed a letter of reference from your home priest to get a credenciel!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is also possible to obtain a credencial in the Cathedral in Oviedo.

Go through the door in the south transept to the Cámara Santa. There is a glass doorway to the museum and Cámara Santa - opening hours are something like 10.00-12.00 and 16.00-18.00 (not quite sure of the afternoon closing time). The folk on the desk have the credenciales (1 euro approx). They have a lovely stamp, which you can also ask for if you have your credencial already.
The Cámara Santa is also accessible when open from the outside of the Cathedral, round to the right when facing the cathedral, left and look for the iron gates before the next right turn. I think it is Calle Sta Ana. Door may be shut, but is only locked when the museum etc is closed.

Terry just asked for one this year, and last year they gave me one for him when he was in bed ill. No letter asked for.

Also, with a credencial pilgrims are allowed into the Cámara Santa itself free. You still pay for the museum.

newfydog said:
When we first started these trips in 2001, we read somewhere that one needed a letter of reference from your home priest to get a credenciel!

No letter from anyone is needed to get a Credencial or Compostela - for the latter all you need are two stamps per day (preferably) in the last 100 kms if you are walking or on horseback and in the last 200 kms if you are cycling.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back