• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a little nervous now....

min200

Well My good lady wife and I are on the countdown to start the camino in a couple of weeks time and I have to admit that I for one am feeling a little nervous.
I haven't had the time to get the training in I would have liked to have done but saying that we are in rush so will just be plodding along.
On the positive side we have packed our rucksacks and got the weight to around 7.5kg without water so that's not too bad.
Any top tips then you good people before we set off from Burgos?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Enjoy yourselves!

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the tips :) We are really conscious of our feet to the point of obsession lol
I just need to find some lightweight sandals etc for the evening downtime out of the boots!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All the advice above is good. In GENERAL, the first week or so of walking a Camino is a shakedown cruise of sorts. Your body gets acclimated to what you are doing to it day after day. If you are of even average health, you will be fine.

As others have said, take care of your feet. Take your time. The race is not only to the swift...it is NOT a race.

Actually, starting at Burgos is a relatively good idea if you are trying to avoid being frustrated at the start coming over the Pyrenees. Just take each and every kilometer as it unfolds.

One step at a time.

Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So you doing it. Great. The wonderful thing is there are not a single way right or wrong to do it. You find out fast what’s good for you. Have fun. Bon Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I only ever carry a very small LED torch (like keychain size) for use in confined populated spaces. I can cup it in my hand to shield the light.

Any head lamp is overkill inside an albergue and will NOT be appreciated. Use the least light possible consistent with what you are trying to do. If you cannot find yourself in near total darkness for toilet needs, you have other issues...(LOL)

A head lamp is mostly used for walking in the dark. I opine that this is not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Would you all advise having ahead torch?

Yes....to the head torch for early morning starts or walking back to albergue at night....Spanish footpaths are sometimes mediaeval....
phone light or light app are useful but be considerate in the dorms with them
As I'm sure you'll be aware....some used red ultra ray lights..
FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real
Love

Pace yourselves according to your own bodies, not trying to keep up with anyone else. Take frequent rest breaks, change socks & attend to any hot spots immediately (the silky type medical tape is very handy for foot repairs on-the-go. Leukosilk was a brand I used, but there are others). Blisters are relatively easy to take care of if you act sooner rather than later. However, shin splints can creep up on you and result in painful walking. Try to warm up your legs, even just by rubbing your legs vigorously for a few minutes each time you set off again after a stop for coffee etc. and keep yourself well hydrated. You´ll meet lots of people while walking and at each albergue, exchange contact details with those you would like to stay in touch with. Be prepared for lack of sleep and some inconveniences at times, but don´t let it get to you. There is so much to bring you joy, laughter and lots of smiles too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Personally I have only used it on fall camino’s and only a few times. Unless you plan on starting out really early in the morning, I’d leave it behind. Buen Camino!!
I generally got by without one but there were a couple of times it would have been useful. It wasn't uncommon to start walking in the dark - in summer caminos to avoid as much as possible walking in the hottest part of the day and in fall caminos because dawn happened later and the rest of the pilgrims tended to get up and leave well before dawn and I wasn't going to get back to sleep. Generally, my preference is to walk, even in the dark, without artificial illumination. I'd rather have my eyes adapt to the dark. That way my vision isn't restricted to the small circle of illumination. But there are times when you are walking through forest when there just isn't enough light making it through the canopy. If you've got a smart phone, you can use that as a flashlight, but it is kind of awkward to do so wit hiking poles. A headlamp is useful for those circumstances. It is also useful for reading signage in the dark.

If you take a head torch and have early starts you will end up with a face full of bugs, so if you want to take a torch make it hand held.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you take a head torch and have early starts you will end up with a face full of bugs, so if you want to take a torch make it hand held.
Better still let your eyes adjust to the light level and you will be amazed how much and how far you can see. Torches ruin night vision and restrict you to seeing the small area illuminated by the torch beam.

Buen Camino, @min200 ! You'll be fine. The first days are pretty flat, so it will be the perfect way to break the news to your bodies that this is the new normal!

I only ever carry a very small LED torch (like keychain size) for use in confined populated spaces. I can cup it in my hand to shield the light.
Thank you, Tom.
A gentleman.
I often find myself wishing others were as considerate in communal spaces with both headlamps and the light from cell phone screens. There seems a common blind spot about how much these can affect others - and occasionally just a lack of caring one way or the other.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well My good lady wife and I are on the countdown to start the camino in a couple of weeks time and I have to admit that I for one am feeling a little nervous.
I haven't had the time to get the training in I would have liked to have done but saying that we are in rush so will just be plodding along.
On the positive side we have packed our rucksacks and got the weight to around 7.5kg without water so that's not too bad.
Any top tips then you good people before we set off from Burgos?
Buen Camino to you both!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you start in Burgos don't forget to turn left and walk down the stairs as soon as you pass through the city wall on the exit. After that ensure your left arm is more tanned than your right and will arrive at the end.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Only a week until we leave and start our camino a week on Sunday!
Still a little nervous but really excited too!
Relax. You are starting at the beginning of an area called the Meseta. It will be mostly very easy walking for 8-10 days, and it is a beautiful stretch for reflections and peace. By the time you get to Lean, your bodies will have toughened considerably. Take your time. Do not overdo the first few days, instead, enjoy the now. As @t2andreo says, it is NOT a race. Many pilgrims are sad when they arrive in SdC, because they suddenly realize that the walk/adventure is over...

I am starting from Burgos on Thursday, so I will be 3-4 days ahead of you. Maybe you'll catch up, who knows. But by the time you get to Santiago, I will be working as a volunteer in the Pilgrim's Office. Say hello, and I'll get you a nice Compostela. :)

Relax. You are starting at the beginning of an area called the Meseta. It will be mostly very easy walking for 8-10 days, and it is a beautiful stretch for reflections and peace. By the time you get to Lean, your bodies will have toughened considerably. Take your time. Do not overdo the first few days, instead, enjoy the now. As @t2andreo says, it is NOT a race. Many pilgrims are sad when they arrive in SdC, because they suddenly realize that the walk/adventure is over...

I am starting from Burgos on Thursday, so I will be 3-4 days ahead of you. Maybe you'll catch up, who knows. But by the time you get to Santiago, I will be working as a volunteer in the Pilgrim's Office. Say hello, and I'll get you a nice Compostela. :)
I shall look out for you Alex and come and say hello :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back