• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a SIM card prior to starting the journey

CAK

Time of past OR future Camino
My son is hiking the Camino 7/2015 & 8/2015. I hope to hike it 2017
Hello!

I am wondering how to get a SIM card for an international phone in France, if one is beginning the journey at St Jean Pied de Port.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please bear in mind that the mobile phone networks in France and Spain are run by separate companies. A French SIM bought in St Jean will probably work in Spain but may be charged at higher international rates for use in Spain. It is worth checking carefully that what you buy is truly "international" or is for a Spanish network unless you need access for the very brief period in France.

What is your home country? It may be possible to order a Spanish SIM mail order before your trip. Here in the UK the Three mobile network offers very cheap rates for use in France and Spain - making buying French/Spanish SIMs unnecessary. Perhaps something of the sort is available from your home network?

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you get a prepaid French SIM card, it will work in Spain, but the credit will get used up quickly due to roaming, and you won't be able to add credit easily once you cross into Spain.
El Corte Ingles, Phone House, or other phone stores in Pamplona are your best bet.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

Given that Spain has possibly the most expensive telephone system in Europe (in terms of call costs) I would wait until I reached Pamplona to get your Spanish SIM. You will need your home country passport (or EU identity card) as proof of who you are. I have one from my previous visit (in 2013) and plan to reactivate it in Madrid as soon as I arrive. From St Jean to Pamplona you can get by using a limited number of text messages and turn off your home voice mail system as it will cost about E 3 or 4 to access each message. Cheers.

Fon't buy in Spain. I did, for an international plan T 15€ for 60 min of calks, with vodaphone,,and Imwas only able to mahpke 1 or 2 one mimute calls before needing to recharge. 7€'a minute?! Don't think so. Next time travelins with a home plan from a company who doesn't want to Lose my business,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bought a French and a Spanish SIM prior to leaving home. Both worked really well. Took 7-10 to reach me in Australia.

I didn't want to have to wait till Pamplona to get one.

SimcardSpain.Es
and
Lefrenchmobile

I used them mainly for Web Access.

Thank you for your replies! My son will have a ITouch with him during his trip - as well as he has a Blu, unlocked phone with him, that is supposed to work in France with a French SIM card, and then in Spain with a Spanish SIM card. I was hoping that he would not be crossing the Pyrenees without a phone! But in order to get his Blu phone to work, he will need to get a French SIM card somewhere. Does anyone know if he can purchase one in a train station in Paris?

And one more question: How is wi-fi on the route?

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I bought a French and a Spanish SIM prior to leaving home. Both worked really well. Took 7-10 to reach me in Australia.

I didn't want to have to wait till Pamplona to get one.

SimcardSpain.Es
and
Lefrenchmobile

I used them mainly for Web Access.
I wish he could do what you did, but he is already in Europe, and he begins the Camino very soon, so he now has to purchase his SIM cards as he goes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You might want to check into
cellularabroad.com

You can get the card in the US, activiate it just before you leave. The rates seem to be pretty good and for a couple extra dollars (15, I think), they'll give you a US number that people can call rather than dialing internationally. If memory servers you get about 600 minutes for the first load of the card (about 1-1.5 cents per minute with a small connect charge). IPhone was a bit more expensive than non-iPhone. Not affiliated with the company in any way but did some comparison. Also, I'd just get a Spanish card. There would be some overages when using it in France but if you're only going to be there a day or two why worry. The other option would be to just incur the international charges from your carrier. I don't know what you're using but AT&T has a plan that will give you about 50 cents per minute (still outrageous but ok for a small number of calls) for a flat rate for 30 days. Then when you leave France, pop in the Spanish sim card and you're ready to go.

"Crossing the Pyrenees" this time of year means he will be walking in line with a hundred other pilgrims, so please don't worry.
It's like a train of ants... and every other pilgrim will have a phone.Camino-de-Santiago-post1.jpg

And I also would wait to get the SIM card until he is in Pamplona.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
"Crossing the Pyrenees" this time of year means he will be walking in line with a hundred other pilgrims, so please don't worry.
It's like a train of ants... and every other pilgrim will have a phone.View attachment 19822

Thank you very much!

It's like a train of ants... and every other pilgrim will have a phone.View attachment 19822

Thank you very much!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back