• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting back from Santiago

Stev0

Steve
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2017
Porto to Santiago October 2017
Santiago to Muxia /Finesterre Nov 2017
Hi everyone , I am planning to do el camino Frances in mid April by bike , starting from St Jean Pied de Port.
I can travel by train from Calais via Paris, Biaritz etc with my bike if I reserve it when I buy my ticket I believe.
I was just wondering if anyone has done it and also if they have traveled back from Santiago the same way.
Would like to cycle back but unfortunately don't have the time, if anyone could tell me what would be a reasonable time to complete it , 6/7 days?
Many thanks in advance for any responses, cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
..., if anyone could tell me what would be a reasonable time to complete it , 6/7 days?
Many thanks in advance for any responses, cheers

Oops? 780km in 6/7 days? With hills/mountains in between? Do you have any experience in long distance cycling and how many km do you do normally per day? Buen Camino, SY

PS Welcome to the forum ;-)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oops? 780km in 6/7 days? With hills/mountains in between? Do you have any experience in long distance cycling and how many km do you do normally per day? Buen Camino, SY

PS Welcome to the forum ;-)
Thanks for the info and reference, yes l have done a few trips 80miles a day over 3 days but it didn't involve any mountains.
Just reading about it when cycling best to stick to the roads in some sections, just wondering about the time it would take given that time of year and if you have done it and if so how did you find it?

I am a walker, not much of a biker, but I would suggest that you approach it as a pilgrimage not as a sport event. Take your time to smell the roses, enjoy the sights, chat with other pilgrims, that sort of thing. You do not need to start in SJPdP, you can start closer to Santiago and have less stress and more time. Buen Camino, SY

I am a walker, not much of a biker, but I would suggest that you approach it as a pilgrimage not as a sport event. Take your time to smell the roses, enjoy the sights, chat with other pilgrims, that sort of thing. You do not need to start in SJPdP, you can start closer to Santiago and have less stress and more time. Buen Camino, SY
Yes thanks for the advice , points taken , I think I do need to approach it more as a pilgrimage and not try and break any records in time /distance, looking forward to the experience,, buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, maybe admin could move this thread to “Biking the Camino” sub-forum for you - the cyclists amongst us might then see your post ;) . . . and maybe read some of the biking threads – there are lots of clashes (literally) between cyclists and walkers :eek: Buen camino and welcome to the forum :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back