• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting credentials at Puebla De Sanabria or later

spadeslady

Hi All,

We plan to make some part of the VDLP in mid September, starting in Puebla de Sanabria.
Where can we get the credentials? I scanned the forum, but could not find any list of such points. So I'll appreciate your help.
And - how important is to have the credentials in order to get an access to pilgrim albergues ?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
spadeslady said:
Hi All,

We plan to make some part of the VDLP in mid September, starting in Puebla de Sanabria.
Where can we get the credentials? I scanned the forum, but could not find any list of such points. So I'll appreciate your help.
And - how important is to have the credentials in order to get an access to pilgrim albergues ?

You will NOT be able to use albergues without a credencial. Either get one before you go. See the button at the bottom of the page "Free credencial" or e mail the private albergue in Puebla de Sanabria (which has a very good website) and ask them where they may be available on your arrival:

http://www.alberguecasaluz.es/en/nuestro-albergue/

Buen Camino

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I understand there is some discussion about the albergues only recognizing "official" credentials.

However, in 2010 and before, I received credentials from the Confraternity of St. James in England http://www.csj.org.uk/
And from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims http://www.santiago.ca/

The links don't appear to be working correctly, but if you google the names, you'll get them.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Before Credentials are supplied to the public by a local pilgrims organisation, they have to be approved by the Pilgrimage Office/Church Authorities in Santiago. That is certainly the case for the CSJ in London, and Australian Friends of the Camino, and I am sure it would also be the case for the Canadian and American pilgrims organisations. But I know of cases where the pilgrim has made up their own Credential, and also John Brierley guides to the Camino Portugues and Camino Finisterre have space specifically for sellos, so the rule seems flexible. Best to be on the safe side though and use an official credential in my opinion.
Similarly the rule for two sellos per day for the last 100 kms seems a little flexible. Last year I only wanted sellos from refugios or churches, so some days I only had 1 sello per day from Sarria. Nevertheless I had obviously walked from Somport because of the sellos in my credential, so I was given my Compostela. Again, best to be on the safe side and get two sellos per day if a Compostela is important to you - which it wasn't to me

If you're from America, it's easy -- just request one here: http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/ ... l_req.html. Your note reminded me to apply for mine (I'm also starting in September). The group says to give them 4-5 weeks to process your request, but the two previous times I've applied, they've come in the mail quite quickly. Maybe 1-2 weeks.

Melanie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back