• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting dressed, best time of day to walk, cold legs?

LuceBCN

Hoping someone can tell me what the etiquette is for getting dressed/undressed in the albergues? What do women normally do?

Also, what is the best time of day to arrive at the next albergue in order to get a bed, shower, etc. and avoid a rush?

And my last question: do I really need to bring a pair of pants in April? I was thinking I would just bring 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of thermal tights. The thermal tights weigh much less than an actual pair of pants.

Hoping to leave for Roncesvalles in the next day or two - feeling a bit sad because I miss my husband and dog and I haven't even left yet! Haha.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Getting dressed, best time of day to walk, cold legs?t

Dressing etiquette - varied - some people were prepared to bare more than others. As a bloke, I would change into clean underwear the previous evening in the shower cubicle, and wear a pair of shorts and t-shirt to bed unless it was really cold. In the morning, I would normally just change into my 'day clothes' sitting on the side of the bed.

I don't recall paying much attention to others getting undressed or dressed, although there were a couple of times when some people chose to wander around the dormitory in their underwear or less rather than slip on a pair of shorts which I must admit did surprize me. Silly, but there it is.

The walking day is a bit of a balancing act. It starts with working out where you will eat breakfast. Its great if you are at an albergue that provides breakfast, but many don't. Do you wait for a local bar to open or walk to the next town/village and hope that there is something open there.

The next bit is how much you have to do, and how much you want to see along the way and at your destination. There are always domestic tasks to get done, and much to see in most of the places along the way. My rule of thumb was to stop at the first town that I reached after about three in the afternoon. This was the right balance for me to get my washing done, buy groceries and wander around doing a bit of sight-seeing.

Did this work consistently. No. A couple of days I was still walking after six o'clock. These were horrible days in some ways, but necessary at the time to get the distance covered.

On your last question, I wore long trousers, but I normally do here in Oz as well. One young woman wore a knee length skirt in conditions where I was thinking about putting my rain trousers on just to keep the wind out. It takes all sorts. If it becomes a problem, there is always the option of buying pants along the way.

Thanks Doug, that's some good advice, especially the part about stopping at the first town after 3pm.

I reckon maybe I'll try to buy a bocadillo each afternoon, so that if there aren't any cafes open early in the morning, I'll be able to eat the bocadillo for breakfast. Then, if there is a cafe open, the bocadillo can just be an extra snack along the way.

Sorry, I just realised I have another question:

My camino map show lots of water fountains along the way - do they generally all work? I was planning to start each day carrying only 1 litre of water and fill up a few times each day.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with the above. I occasionally had a look around when everyone was getting dressed at their bunks in the morning and never once saw anyone looking or casting leering glances. As a rule, people look into the distance at that time, so I never felt uncomfortable getting dressed or undressed on my bunk. Although I normally slept in my clothes for the next day, the "naked" part was the showering/washing clothes/changing into clean ones on arrival. That's where my sarong came in handy. I could undress at my bunk and put my sarong on to go to the shower - then use it as a towel!

Good idea to buy the bocadillo the day before. We always bought yogurt and juice the day before so we could have some breakfast before starting out. Sometimes you don't run across anywhere to have coffee until 1100 or so. So the coffee fix often had to put off awhile.

I take shorts, long pants and rain pants. Shorts I wore everyday as my legs don't get cold. Long pants in the town as shorts are often considered immodest and frowned on especially in the more rural places.

LuceBCN said:
Hoping someone can tell me what the etiquette is for getting dressed/undressed in the albergues? What do women normally do?

I think that a lot depends on someone's culture and personal preferences. I agree that most people don't watch what others are doing, and for the most part, I can't say what the other pilgrims were doing while I was preparing for the day (except for the middle aged French gentleman who presented me with a full moon as he dried his feet naked in the doorway!) I put on clean clothes after showering, then slept in those clothes. I just had to put my boots on in the morning.
At some albergues the shower facilities are unisex, but people are respectful.

I did take long pants last April and on some days wore thermal tights under them. If it is cold and rainy, you may want to protect your legs.
Buen Camino!
Suzanne

Right. I'm going to add pants but maybe take out the fitted sheet I had packed, so I can try to keep my pack at 6kg. If I treat my clothes with anti-bedbug spray, do you think I'll be OK to sleep directly on the albergue mattress without my own sheet?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think all the fountains identified in Brierley's book were working. Bars will give you a water bottle fill up, too. The water sources that are not suitable for drinking are pretty well marked. I tried to stick to municipal water taps, but never got sick from taps in the countryside that were identified as potable.

I don't know if you're taking a sleeping bag or liner but most places do not want you sleeping directly on the mattress, so plan on taking at least a liner.

Right. OK, sheet back into pack. Pack looks like it's going to explode! Wonder what the first thing I'll throw out along the way will be? Maybe the extra, warm top? Maybe the pyjamas? If only I knew now, then I could ditch it already!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looks like you got some great answers, I saw a few women that used a light weight sarong (sounds redundant) to wear around to the shower and in the alburgue. I guess it could also serve you well about anytime.

Yes, I did get some great answers :) Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm catching the train tomorrow morning to Pamplona, then the bus to Roncesvalles where I'll stay the night and then I'll start walking on Wednesday. Yay!

lynnejohn said:
That's where my sarong came in handy. I could undress at my bunk and put my sarong on to go to the shower - then use it as a towel!

Lynne, you and a few others have mentioned the sarong before. Do you have a pic? And any suggestions where one could find one? Still reworking my list & pack...Gracias, Karin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Karin -

Well, basically it's a big square (maybe 1 metre or more square) of beautifully designed very thin cotton, often with a fringe. Also called a pareo. It must be thin (in my case, threadbare) so that it folds down very small. One can wear it as a dress (tucked or tied the same as you do your big bath towel), or as a skirt with a tshirt. Also to carry laundry, use as a pillow or a picnic tablecloth, among other uses. Or as a curtain if you want privacy in your lower bunk.

Easiest to find at your local global imports store, like Ten Thousand Villages. Lots of choice, it's cheaper, and often provides work and income for village women in African countries. You can also find it online.

Have a look, you'll love it! Best of luck!

(You can find pix online - I'd take a picture of mine but it's already packed - leaving in 4 days!)

Did I just read 'pyjamas'? Can't remember seeing anyone wearing pyjamas, old t-shirts yes, lightweight thermal clothing for bed is OK, some slept in underwear and dressed in their sleeping bag in the morning. But many pilgrims, including myself, just had a shower on arrival at the albergue, changed clothes, and wore to bed the clothes we intended to walk in the next day.

My backpack and contents weighed just over 6 kg, and that included a sleeping bag, all my medications (and that was quite a bit for 6 weeks), plus clothes, microfibre towel and sarong, sandals, thongs (flipflops) for the shower, toiletries, and bits and pieces I really had to have. However, this weight did not include hiking poles, my fleece jacket, walking shoes, one full set of clothing, snacks, or water.

Trudy

Leave anything that has the word "extra" associated with it. Try to take only items that have two or more uses. Toothbrush as boot brush? Well, no, but particularly clothing items.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I see several of you mentioned sleeping in your clothes. I start my first Camino in a month (woo hoo! Can't wait!) but the idea of sleeping in my clothes sounds dreadful. Are you really comfortable in your clothes? I was planning on a pair of light weight knit shorts and a tank top.

I do take ultralight long underwear tops and bottoms but the top is also a long-sleeved shirt for day and evening. I sometimes wear those at night, but if it's going to be cold in the a.m., I can't tolerate the thought of undressing and dressing so I wear my clothes (and sometimes my fleece and rain jacket as well if it's really cold). Wearing clothes at night is much more comfortable than being cold. So really the only thing extra is the longjohns which weigh next to nothing.

Last year I discovered walking skirts. They are really comfortable and in the morning I keep my longjohns on until it warms up and then remove shoes and long jons and I am good for the day.
Didn't see any kilts on The Way but some of you guys could start that trend!
Bev

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bev....brand or make?? Can they be found online? I often find skirts much cooler when it gets hot!

Thanks, Karin

The link Lynnejohn posted (the second one) seems to catch them all. Not sure about the pant/skirt one. I bought mine in Montreal but now I am seeing them here in Peterborough (small city) in the outdoor stores. I have one Mountain Hard Ware brand and my fave is Royal Robbins because it has two flap pockets (one on the hip and one at the hem) and a zip pocket on the other hip. this one is the Royla Robbins Discovery Skirt on page two of the link. No belt loops but does anyone use belts on walking gear anyway? Looks like a good selection now a days. :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Agree. They're the best.

revrenjen said:
I see several of you mentioned sleeping in your clothes. I start my first Camino in a month (woo hoo! Can't wait!) but the idea of sleeping in my clothes sounds dreadful. Are you really comfortable in your clothes? I was planning on a pair of light weight knit shorts and a tank top.
The first year, I took a nightdress :roll: , the 2nd year I packed an extra T-shirt to sleep in, for the 3rd and 4th year, I wore the shirt that I am going to walk in the next day and kept my pants nearby, so that I can simply slip them on when I get up. I find that this is the most practical solution and I have one garment less in my backpack. Anne

€60,-
@revrenjen : not everyone sleeps in his clothes, but it is very common.
I prefered to take a very light nightdress.
(50gr silk Traveler's Tree).

Buen camino

Comments:

Pants: Shorts and tights will be fine if you do not tend to get cold. However, the wind makes me cold so I took pants with zip off legs - solved that problem!

Sleepwear: I wore my underwear - everyone else is too weary to look at you... I only saw one pair of pajamas along the way. I found them in the FREE BOX in an albergue and took the shirt. I cut off the cuffs, slit the arms, and wore it for sun protection. I ran into a woman in Redecilla del Camino in the shower line. She was carrying the pajama pants to my top. She had cut off the legs and was using them for sun protection :lol:

When to walk: You really have no choice. You must leave the albergues early, usually by 7 or 8 am - so that is when you walk. You should simply walk until you get tired of walking. Most people walk 6 to 8 hours with rests every couple of hours.

Rushing: Just refuse to do it. There will be a bed. Don't get caught up in rushing and missing all the wonders you'll see if you are so focused on rushing. ENJOY your walk! ENJOY your rests! ENJOY the scenery and the people. REFUSE to rush! It'll be ok. I promise. The worst that can happen is that you get stuck in a town with no bed and the answer is you call a cab to the next town for $5 ::shrug:: Don't let rushing ruin your Camino, honestly.

What to eat: I was unable to find coffee or breakfast perhaps 5 times in 3 months of walking (I walked several Caminos in one trip). Things to carry in case of emergency include the following, which you can purchase in any tienda in Spain. By the way, if you don't know, a "tienda" is a little store often held in somebody's home - there are no signs - you just have to either ask someone, "Es una tienda aqui?" or "Donde esta la tienda?" or just keep your eyes open. They'll often have an open door with those fly-catching hangy things (like the beaded curtains we hung in the 60s) hanging in the door.

canned tuna with pop top
Fresh eggs you can buy by the piece and boil up to carry
Nice small packets of olives for 50 cents
dried fruits and nuts
fresh bread in every bakery in every village every morning
WONDERFUL local cheese (small slices are fine b/c they are VERY savory)
tomatoes

We made many sliced egg, tomato, olive sandwiches along the trail for lunch.

Lighten your load - if you're not sure if you need it, leave it.
You will find everything you need in FREE BOXES (don't forget to check them!) in most albergues. If you don't see a FREE BOX, ask...

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• IMG_1030 Redicilla del Camino small.jpg
    IMG_1030 Redicilla del Camino small.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3,058
I ended up buying a sleeping bag when I got to Pamplona - definitely needed! And my pants, which were a last minute inclusion, I ended up wearing every day!

Now, what I *really* should have packed was a bit of patience and humility: I had to come home today to nurse a bad case of tendonitis after quickly progressing from 20km days to 30km days to 40 km days. Turns out just because you're young, fit and strong, doesn't mean your tendons are in shape!

But at least when I go back in a few days I'll have a better idea of what to pack! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is good that you live close and can get back when you have recovered. It is very easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm of the physical aspects of daily long walks, and then push past a limit. I have met many who over-did it.

Advice on sleeping bags rarely works out; only you know how you will react to cold nights or hot albergues. Some things are too individual.

I am glad you had fun, and hope you will have more when you resume.

Annie, how funny you found your pajama twin! The magic of Camino connection and synchronicity never fails to surprise, delight, and amaze me! Thanks for posting the photo of the two of you, it's lovely!

revrenjen wrote:

I found it very comfortable and convenient to sleep in my clothes. I wore merino wool leggings and a merino wool long-sleeved shirt almost every day (September/October Camino Frances last year; I also wore a fleece jacket and a windbreaker but only occasionally slept in the fleece jacket near the end of my Camino when it was colder).

I also had a walking skirt that I wore overtop the leggings but I put it on in the morning, didn't sleep in it. On the days when I wore my quick-dry pants, I'd sometimes slept in them the night before, and sometimes I'd slept in my leggings and then changed into the quick-dry pants in the morning, in my sleeping bag. You'll figure it out, it won't take you long to decide what's best for you. I liked that it saved me time in the morning to wake up already dressed!

Buen Camino!

Rachel

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked a winter camino, (end November to end December) so I changed my underwear in the shower in the afternoons and slept in my thermal shirt and leggings at night. That way I only had to put on my other shirt, fleece jacket and pants when I got up. Very easy! As for ettiquette, I can't really tell you what other women did, because mainly it was me, my best friend and a bunch of guys in the dorm. :D However, everyone was really nice and after a couple of days I felt no qualms about walking around the dorm in my underwear on the way back from the shower. Nobody cared!

Generally, the best time of day to walk is daytime. Depending on the time of year you're going, you may want to have a siesta in the middle of the day, or lie out in the sunshine in a lot of clothes and soak up the warmth. I wouldn't reccommend walking in the dark though - you miss all the beautiful landscape!

Also, re: pants vs shorts, remember that you will always be pretty warm when you walk, it's only once you stop that you get cold! In the cooler seasons, at least.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back