• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting food when bedridden

CaminoDeSunflowers

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2023)
What tips do people have for getting/cooking food if you're traveling solo and get really sick on the trail? I was more concerned about this when COVID self-isolation requirements were in place but it's also a concern that applies to general illness on the trail. Though I am curious how people managed when self-isolation was required...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What tips do people have for getting/cooking food if you're traveling solo and get really sick on the trail? I was more concerned about this when COVID self-isolation requirements were in place but it's also a concern that applies to general illness on the trail. Though I am curious how people managed when self-isolation was required...

I see that you plan to walk the Invierno.
Maybe you would feel more comfortable walking the Francés?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I fell sick while staying alone in a guesthouse in Portugal. The cleaner found me in a sorry state and looked after me, bringing me food and meds for a couple of days until I recovered. Now I prefer to stay in places where there are staff on site, or with a family if I'm doing AirBnB.
You just have to ask other people for help.

My initial thought would be to ask the people in charge at the place you are staying to order food that can be delivered from a local eatery or market.
I don't know about Spain, but prior to COVID in Italy, few places other than pizzeria's offered delivery service, but it is much more common now as many restaurants had to adapt or close. You may even be able to use delivery apps to order food. Our grocery stores now also have home delivery that you can access on-line.

I got HORENDOUS food poisoning on the trail and I was flooded by Camino Magic. Many people at my albergue that I had never met would check on me, bring me snack and drinks. That was back in 2009 when ordering food to your location wasn't possible. I think these days it is much easier even if you are isolated in a room.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My goodness, preparing for EVERYTHING would take the joy out of life for me!
What if there was an earthquake.
What if a meteor hit!?
What if you got hit by a runaway camel?
What if...

Just go and trust that there are unexpected circumstances in every day of life.
It will all take care of itself.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If a pressing concern, do not travel solo.

Wow, I am truly unimpressed by some of these responses. If people don’t like the question, they can just not answer it instead of trying to make you feel like you asked a bad question. Like you, I prefer to be prepared (at least in my head) for most contingencies, and giving it a thought in advance is a responsible thing to do. It can be helpful to hear how others have dealt with their situations .

Last year when we traveled on a Camino in France, one of our party became ill with Covid. Since we were traveling in a group of 6, the rest of us were able to take care of that person, so we didn’t have to rely on others. Still, it took us a minute to regroup and figure out our next course of action. We ended up reserving an Airbnb for a few days that was in a nearby small city so we would have access to all the groceries and food and medicine that we needed. Eventually we needed to call a doctor for the sick person. It was on the weekend and we asked the Airbnb landlord to assist us and she was very helpful. We found out that for about €100, he could get a home visit from the on-call doctor on the weekend and pick up his prescribed medicine at the on-call pharmacy.

If you should become ill, you can approach the hospitalera and ask for help to find a place to stay longer or will usually help you find a medical professional if needed. Last year there were several people who became ill on the Camino who needed help and townspeople or other pilgrims stepped up. When my own husband had food poisoning one year on the Camino, the owners of the hotel we decided to stop over were very concerned and helpful. The wife made him special things that he could eventually eat and offered all kinds of special care for us.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had a long reply drafted explaining that most times the answer to ‘how do I?’in Spain is ‘just like at home, but in Spanish, and it’s probably more efficient and cheaper’; but even I got bored with my own deathless prose and deleted it.

There aren’t enough hours in the day to get annoyed with the internet.

I learned a lot from this range of responses, thanks everyone!
I appreciated the reminder that it's possible to not worry about this and be fine.
I also appreciated the reassurances that it was ok to ask this question, and the reminders that at the end of the day, even armed with knowledge, life is as life does.

And I super loved the stories of people's camino magic and trail angels. It helped me question my assumptions. I realized I assumed locals in general wouldn't want to be bothered given the influx of pilgrims. And I never thought to consider that it's possible there are places a doctor could still be called to visit. That's near impossible where I live and I would've pre-emptively ruled it out. Not that I expect any of these now, but nice to know it's in the realm of possibility.

I learned a lot from this range of responses, thanks everyone!
I appreciated the reminder that it's possible to not worry about this and be fine.
I also appreciated the reassurances that it was ok to ask this question, and the reminders that at the end of the day, even armed with knowledge, life is as life does.

And I super loved the stories of people's camino magic and trail angels. It helped me question my assumptions. I realized I assumed locals in general wouldn't want to be bothered given the influx of pilgrims. And I never thought to consider that it's possible there are places a doctor could still be called to visit. That's near impossible where I live and I would've pre-emptively ruled it out. Not that I expect any of these now, but nice to know it's in the realm of possibility.
In my experience with only a few exceptions, people in towns along the Caminos really care about pilgrims. Being a pilgrim is usually a respected status and many towns are on the Camino because their inhabitants have ministered to pilgrims for many, many years. When I serve as a hospitalera, the local albergue is always of interest to the community citizens especially in smaller towns. People want to know now many pilgrims you have and from where. People like to show off their little towns to others and are often quite proud of their albergues. Many albergues and refugios of old were also "hospitals" for pilgrims who became sick along the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My contingent for getting sick is a plane home. Get the first train fare to the nearest airport and get back to the UK as soon as practically possible. For me the price of an airbnb is probably going to cost more than a flight home and I would rather be back in my own country if I'm ill and maybe need the use of emergency services. it also depends on the level of sickness.

If you get flu, then it might be better to call it a day. But covid is such a non-issue now that i would never return home due to getting it. I would find a place to hunker down for a few days until i'm past the worst of it (which in my case would be a campsite and pitch my tent somewhere away from others). Food would be go to the local supermarket and stock up on simple foods like veg, chorizo, instant noodles/pasta/rice and bottles of water. I tend to carry cooking gear in my pack, so that's covered.

Your question is valid and worth asking. Like you, I don't have the experience and confidence from a prior Camino under my belt to know that there's no need to worry. It's natural to think about these things and it's responsible to have a plan.
Of course anything can happen on the Camino as it can at home, but the difference for a solo walker is not having your network of family and friends to support you. As many have suggested, there will be many people who will step in and help you through that period if you find yourself sick and feeling vulnerable, scared and alone. The responses have given me some reassurance too so thank you for asking!
A reminder to particularly those who consider this type of question overthinking and overplanning.... we all process things differently, we all plan differently. Not everyone will need a trail angel and if you don't need one, then at least be one. On and off the Camino. ❣️
@CaminoDeSunflowers I hope you have a happy and healthy Camino. 😍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
(I love your Camino name!) I got Covid while on the Frances in June of 2022. I was able to stay at St Francis Hostel in León. There is a cafeteria there, so food was brought to my room. Several of my Camino friends came by with fruit and a care package. I was well-cared for, and as others have mentioned here, there always seems to be genuine and thoughtful care for pilgrims facing difficulties. I trust the same will happen for you if needed, pilgrim. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
My contingent for getting sick is a plane home. Get the first train fare to the nearest airport and get back to the UK as soon as practically possible. For me the price of an airbnb is probably going to cost more than a flight home and I would rather be back in my own country if I'm ill and maybe need the use of emergency services. it also depends on the level of sickness.

Familiarity brings a feeling of security so I understand this response. It is interesting because for me, the last place I would chose to be sick is probably a very poor third world country, followed closely by the US and the UK!

My understanding is that the medical services in Europe, including Spain, are excellent - and a fraction of the cost of the same services in the US, and generally not overwhelmed by lack of investment, which is my impression of what is happening in the UK. I may be wrong, but from my past experience I'm happy to rely on the Spanish health system. The exception is if I had a major injury or very serious illness, in which case obviously I'd want to be transferred home to be with my family.

I had a very good experience when I contracted Covid on the Primitivo. A couple of albergue owners consulted and found me a perfect little flat, directly opposite one albergue in the next town, transported me there, so I could self isolate. The albergue owner organised to shop for me as needed. I visited the local hospital where my RAT test was confirmed with a PCR (no cost) and I was given advice and medication - again at no cost. For the next 7 days I received daily telephone calls, initially twice a day, from the hospital medical staff, checking on me. I was fine after that.

It definitely helps to be resourceful. When I tested positive last year for Covid while walking from Lisbon last year I was at an albergue in the middle of nowhere. The owner/hospitalero wasn't able to let me stay any longer because he had the whole place booked for the following nights.

He suggested a town about 10 km away that I could walk to, so I found an apartment there on booking.com. Fortunately I wasn't very sick, but by the time I finally found the apartment I just wanted to sleep.

I went to a nearby grocery store and stocked up before settling into my quarantine zone. Fortunately the apartment had Netflix available.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Albeit as a UK citizen I have always found the level of healthcare in UK (whether emergency or longer term) to be first rate though I have no idea how we compare to our fellow European countries, though I have seen some data on long term cancer outcomes and they are not over favourable but can’t comment on investment levels (it’s become very political and virtually impossible to fathom as it is such a huge aspect of UK society, very emotive, and such a huge employer - one of the biggest in the world with circa 1 million staff) so I can’t and won’t. I was a very frequent visitor to the USA for year but I get concerned about medical care costs (not quality) should loopholes in insurance policies be found!! Not sure how much it is perception or reality (we see social media posts on folks paying 15-20k USD for a broken bone) which tends to scare the hell out of UK folks who are used to ‘free’ service af point of delivery.
Familiarity brings a feeling of security so I understand this response. It is interesting because for me, the last place I would chose to be sick is probably a very poor third world country, followed closely by the US and the UK!

My understanding is that the medical services in Europe, including Spain, are excellent - and a fraction of the cost of the same services in the US, and generally not overwhelmed by lack of investment, which is my impression of what is happening in the UK. I may be wrong, but from my past experience I'm happy to rely on the Spanish health system. The exception is if I had a major injury or very serious illness, in which case obviously I'd want to be transferred home to be with my family.

I had a very good experience when I contracted Covid on the Primitivo. A couple of albergue owners consulted and found me a perfect little flat, directly opposite one albergue in the next town, transported me there, so I could self isolate. The albergue owner organised to shop for me as needed. I visited the local hospital where my RAT test was confirmed with a PCR (no cost) and I was given advice and medication - again at no cost. For the next 7 days I received daily telephone calls, initially twice a day, from the hospital medical staff, checking on me. I was fine after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you get flu, then it might be better to call it a day. But covid is such a non-issue now that i would never return home due to getting it. I would find a place to hunker down for a few days until i'm past the worst of it (which in my case would be a campsite and pitch my tent somewhere away from others). Food would be go to the local supermarket and stock up on simple foods like veg, chorizo, instant noodles/pasta/rice and bottles of water. I tend to carry cooking gear in my pack, so that's covered.
Indeed. I guess it makes sense to think about home if you live in Europe, as I think you do, and I do too! Vast majority of folks on here come from USA and spent $000s on doing a Camino and plan for ages so agree they should not throw it all on for flu or Covid unless it, or other things, are serious. Getting ill a long way from home is a mental strain too so I guess it’s a tough balance.

Hi, not so much about self-isolation but relevant, I think.

I stopped to rest in a bar when I was, unknowingly, seriously ill with Legionella. I obviously looked sick and so despite my protestations a Spanish pilgrim couple who had seen me struggling on the very slightest of hills and the bar manager got together, discussed my situation and called an ambulance for me. All while I was trying to tell them not to bother.

The ambulance took me off to hospital where I was diagnosed, admitted and treated with great care and professionalism.

My only issue was that I got a bit lonely in hospital because my Spanish is almost non-existent and so I turned to this forum and asked for help. A Camino angel came to my assistance and brought me cake and companionship to help me celebrate my birthday in hospital.

So, if all else fails, ask for help on this forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This thread also explains why, when I buy my air tickets to travel from the US to - anywhere - I also purchase travel insurance. I do this not for the direct trip interruption or delay cover.

Rather, I buy it in case I need medical evacuation back to my home. I have medical insurance coverage for other needs.

My medical insurance cover at home is also useable around the world. While I am nearly 70, and mandatorily enrolled in the federal Medicare program as my primary cover, my secondary cover is a full-featured group policy I retained from when I was working.

Medicare coverage is NOT available outside the US. You must have separate insurance cover. Because I seriously enjoy travel, I maintained this group cover, as part of my retirement benefit package.

Note: In the US, SOME Medicare Part C “Advantage Plans” do provide some coverage while traveling. If this affects you, do your research before signing up for a Medicare Advantage plan to supplement your Medicare coverage.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Indeed. I guess it makes sense to think about home if you live in Europe, as I think you do, and I do too! Vast majority of folks on here come from USA and spent $000s on doing a Camino and plan for ages so agree they should not throw it all on for flu or Covid unless it, or other things, are serious. Getting ill a long way from home is a mental strain too so I guess it’s a tough balance.
I have the luxury, as you say, of not living a million miles away from home.

I have also done a public hospital in Spain (in Santiago) while suffering anaphylaxis and it was interesting and eye opening. After a while of attempting to be able to breathe, while waiting to be seen, I used a bunch of epipens and that lowered the initial problem to something manageable (although it did cause the hospital staff to start freaking out). After some hours they put me on a ward and that was not good on many levels, it was really busy and I don't do hospitals generally due to ASD, they push my stress levels way to high.

So for anaphylaxis I can probably tolerate six hours in hospital, but they were really arsey about letting me go (I have allergies, I deal with them myself a lot and once they confirmed by blood test it was an allergy I had everything meds wise to treat it) and in the end I was on the verge of calling the British embassy at which point a doctor said I could go. I honestly found the experience really hard and went off to the campsite (As Cancelas) in Santiago and pitched for a couple of days away from people to decompress and calm down.

Flying back for me is more for bad acute problems, broken arm, maybe my asthma went downhill massively or some other annoying problem. I've learn't over the years it's easier to bail out to somewhere familiar and deal with the problem, than try and push through. That familiar place isn't necessarily home, it could just be my tent or a hotel. Use common sense and you'll be fine. :)

If you have flown from the US or Asia, then my advice would be to book an airbnb, or room in a hotel. If the problem is just some light Covid or Flu, you can probably get through it in a week and if you are of good health it probably won't have much impact on you. The main problem comes if you aren't of good health.

As for the food, if the problem isn't debilitating, hit up a supermarket and stock up on easy foods, even if they are just bars of chocolate, muesli bars, cereal, milk, bags of salad, bottles of water. If you have a bath/sink, fill it with cold water, drop your chilled goods in, it will give you a day or two. Have enough for 2-3 days. Then hunker down, sleep as much as possible, push through.

If it is debilitating (broken leg, etc), you will have to rely on others. I would probably open a thread on here and ask if anyone coming through could grab you some food and drop it at your hotel. People are generally kind and open to helping other pilgrims, so I think if anyone is in the area, they might drop you some supplies. As mentioned, the locals will also generally offer help, if they can. If you have a broken leg or similar, it's game over, arrange your flights. With a 6 week wait to gain minimal use and possibly a year to recover full function, your camino is over on that session.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thought the idea of a make-shift fridge from cold water was neat. And for hot water...another idea from another corner of the forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-electric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

I suppose for the non-emergency illnesses, with one of these and a cup, could get some soup, instant oatmeal, tea, etc. from a store and be very fine. I tend to like hot salty soup when I'm sick and there's some really great lightweight freeze-dried instant miso soup packets out there that a fellow traveller once shared with me. :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.