• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Barcelona to SJPdP by Train

CameraHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi all, I'm looking at traveling to SJPdP from Barcelona this March because I found an airline ticket for only 39,000 miles into Barcelona. I was thinking of taking a train via Barcelona-Narbonne-Toulouse-Bayonne- St Jean Pied de Port since I'll be starting mid-March and that might be a little too early season. Or do you think it would be better to for me to take the train to Pamplona and the bus the rest of the way? I have checked Rio2Rome and via train, it is similar time-wise to the train/bus and really not all that more expensive.

[EDIT] I forgot to add, will I need a separate EU Covid passport to travel through France or will I be able to use Spains SpTH Covid passport for travel outside of Spain?

Thanks for your tips on this!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It would greatly simplify your itinerary to just start in Pamplona. This is what my wife and I did on our first Camino. You could then use the extra days to walk to Finisterre.

Perhaps like you, I originally thought that SJdPP was somehow the designated starting point for the Camino Francés. But that is really not the case. It's more of a notional starting point popularized by the movie The Way. And note that the route over the Pyrenees hiked by the characters in that movie will not be open in mid-March.

Good luck with your logistical challenge and enjoy your Camino no matter where it starts.

Truly make the start of your Camino easier and safer - bus/train from Barcelona to Pamplona and start walking from there. The Pyrenees in March can be extremely dangerous due to snow/ice/cold and even walking the Valcarlos will be extremely unpleasant if the weather doesn’t cooperate. Your possible itenarary through Frnace may look good on paper, but it’s rife with the possibility of delays, missed connections, the need for additional Covid paperwork/tests, and so on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you still have a desire to walk from SJPdP, why not train to Pamplona? Stay overnight. Find out about the weather forecast and conditions along the lower route via Valcarlos to Roncevalles as well as continuing down to Zubiri!
Going via Pamplona gives you flexibility. In March, you should be able to find accommodations without pre booking. So going to Pamplona allows you to make the most informed decision regarding your route. Buen Camino!

I took the bus from Pamplona to SJPP in September 2021, and there was no requirement for the EU COVID Passport. I flew into Madrid from the US, and my vaccination certificate (uploaded to the Spain Travel Health, aka SpTH app) was all that was required then.

That said, as others have mentioned the Route Napoleon will still be closed in March. I believe it opens in mid April. The bus did make a stop in Roncesvalles on the way to SJPP, so starting there is another option if you take the train to Pamplona from Barcelona.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
take the train from Barcelona straight to Pamplona and then bus to Roncevalles.
Technically, it’s Barcelona to Zaragoza, then a change of trains to Pamplona. 4 hours or so, if you time it right. But still faster than wandering through France

I think it was the Irun train we took from Barcelona, goes straight through with no change to Pamplona.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In Fall of 2021, we could not find such a train route despite numerous attempts online and at a Renfe ticket machine. 🤔. Maybe a victim of Covid or it’s seasonal?

According to the renfe schedule pthere are more than one train a day direct from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona/Irun in March 2022.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank goodness! Hopefully the decreased services during Covid are a thing of the past! 👍

Technically, it’s Barcelona to Zaragoza, then a change of trains to Pamplona. 4 hours or so, if you time it right. But still faster than wandering through France
Not the train I took.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have another option , Barcelona has some sights to see in the area and could be a good place to rest after the flight. One would be a trail to Montserrat monestary . It itself is a Camino and has a trail to its heights . Or take a bus , can’t remember the distance but about 20-30 miles.then I believe it continues on to Java on the Arrogones way. I have not walked from Monterrsat but enjoyed the Aragonnes way from Toulosse. I would disagree that SJPP is not the beginning to the Spanish Camino . From there you walk the entire Spanish Way. While walking in Spain the majority of walkers start there and consider it the “whole way”. I walked over the Napoleon route in April once and concerning but what views . I guess you can wait to see the weather but at least start at Roncevalles .

It would greatly simplify your itinerary to just start in Pamplona. This is what my wife and I did on our first Camino. You could then use the extra days to walk to Finisterre.

Perhaps like you, I originally thought that SJdPP was somehow the designated starting point for the Camino Francés. But that is really not the case. It's more of a notional starting point popularized by the movie The Way. And note that the route over the Pyrenees hiked by the characters in that movie will not be open in mid-March.

Good luck with your logistical challenge and enjoy your Camino no matter where it starts.
No doubt, The Way has had an impact on The Camino.

But I am wondering if your take on the popularity of starting at SJdPP is true.

I had been under the impression that starting at SJdPP was more or less equally popular before the movie and after.

Some stats on this would be interesting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my opinion, the best stage of the Camino Frances is from SJPP to Roncevalles and should not be missed. There are many other wonderful vistas throughout the 800km walk but there is only only opportunity on the Frances to cross from France to Spain over the Pyrenees. That said, the Napoleon route is closed until March 31 leaving the Valcarlos route as the option if you start at SJPP. I’d strongly encourage the start in SJPP or you will always be second guessing yourself on what you are missing.

In my opinion, the best stage of the Camino Frances is from SJPP to Roncevalles and should not be missed. There are many other wonderful vistas throughout the 800km walk but there is only only opportunity on the Frances to cross from France to Spain over the Pyrenees. That said, the Napoleon route is closed until March 31 leaving the Valcarlos route as the option if you start at SJPP. I’d strongly encourage the start in SJPP or you will always be second guessing yourself on what you are missing.
More than correct

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back