• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Barcelona to sarria

Time of past OR future Camino
Commencing my first pilgrimage in November 2015
Hi all, can someone tell me how to get from Barcelona to my starting, Sarria.

By bus or train (happy for it to be an overnight train/bus).

Thanks in advance

Thewanderingwombat

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's a daily except Saturdays overnight train from Barcelona to Sarria. For more info about train options: www.renfe.com

By bus, you would need to change along the route (e.g.: overnight bus from Barcelona to Monforte de Lemos plus another bus from Monforte de Lemos to Sarria; www.monbus.es for info about those bus routes).

Hi all, can someone tell me how to get from Barcelona to my starting, Sarria.

By bus or train (happy for it to be an overnight train/bus).

Thanks in advance

Thewanderingwombat

Take plane from Barcelona to Santiago.

Take Empresa Freire bus from Santiago airport to Lugo.

Take Monbus bus from Lugo to Sarria.

Barcelona Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Barcelona/en/

Santiago Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/es/

Empresa Freire
http://www.empresafreire.com/

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/es

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I traveled Barcelona to Sarria last May on the Renfe Tren Hotel. Excellent rooms in Gran Class with a private bathroom with a shower. I bought as soon as ticketing opened up for my date of travel. Total cost was 115E. Departed BCN at 2000 and arrived Sarria 0900 the next morning. I could not get any of my credit or debit cards to work on the Renfe site, but PayPal worked great.

Trying the same route but can not find anything to Sarria :-( apparently all trains are booked... at least this is what I am "told" on the site. Any tips are very welcome!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There's a daily except Saturdays overnight train from Barcelona to Sarria. For more info about train options: www.renfe.com

By bus, you would need to change along the route (e.g.: overnight bus from Barcelona to Monforte de Lemos plus another bus from Monforte de Lemos to Sarria; www.monbus.es for info about those bus routes).

Hi, I am new to this forum. I would be very grateful if you manage to give me an advice. Can you please tell me how to find this bus, what time and where is it travelling from (the station)? I can not seem to find it? Thanks in advance!!! (arriving to Barcelona tomorrow evening)

Hi NicoleMun! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please tell me how to find this bus, what time and where is it travelling from (the station)?

Buses from Barcelona to Monforte de Lemos just run on Fridays and Sundays. But don't worry, that was just an example of first leg to reach Sarria by bus from Barcelona so you have alternatives. Take a bus from Barcelona to Lugo (those ones run daily) with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en). Once in Lugo, take another bus to Sarria with Monbus (www.monbus.es). Buses from Lugo to Sarria run daily too. Alternatively, you can take a train from Lugo to Sarria (www.renfe.com for more info) but I think bus better for you (more daily frequencies and no need to transfer for the bus station to the train station).

Thanks so much! I will take either the latest bus from Barcelona tomorrow (Tuesday) evening or take the first one on Wednesday morning. Can I buy the ticket straight from the station or should I do this advance? Grateful for your help again!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try Renfe train from Barcelona Sants to Madrid Puerta de Atocha. Last viable is 0900 - 1145 13 July 2016.

Take Cercanias train from Puerta de Atocha to Chamartin ... runs every 30 minutes

Then 1305 - 1859 13 July 2016 Renfe train from Madrid Chamartin to Sarria.

There is at least one train (1500) indicating full from Madrid to Sarria . So it might be best to book it NOW.

Its probably San Fermin festival at Pamplona that is clogging the Barcelona to Sarria route.

If you still want to take the ALSA bus from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Lugo ... you might want to book it now as it travels via Zaragosa which has connections to Pamplona.

Try Renfe train from Barcelona Sants to Madrid Puerta de Atocha. Last viable is 0900 - 1145 13 July 2016.

Take Cercanias train from Puerta de Atocha to Chamartin ... runs every 30 minutes

There is at least one train (1500) indicating full from Madrid to Sarria . So it might be best to book it NOW.

Its probably San Fermin festival at Pamplona that is clogging the Barcelona to Sarria route.

If you still want to take the ALSA bus from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Lugo ... you might want to book it now as it travels via Zaragosa which has connections to Pamplona.
Thanks a lot!!!!

The Cercanías to the airport are the ones that run every 30 minutes. Cercanías service between Atocha and Chamartín runs much more frequently. Most times you don't have to wait more than 5 minutes to have one available. The ride takes 13 minutes if you take the right Cercanías in the right direction. But you need to add time to reach the Cercanías area in Atocha, get your ticket, find your train (plenty of Cercanías lines go from Atocha to Chamartín but you need to be sure the one you are taking makes it and you need to be sure too that you are taking the line in the right direction; i.e.: that the train is heading to Chamartín and isn't coming from Chamartín), go from the Cercanías to your other train in Chamartín... Don't cut short the transfer time and play it safe by allowing yourself (more than) enough time for the transfer. In your case, I would suggest to go to Chamartín as soon as you arrive to Atocha and if you had any extra time to spend it in Chamartín.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks a lot!!!!
Hi NicoleMun! Welcome to the forum!

Buses from Barcelona to Monforte de Lemos just run on Fridays and Sundays. But don't worry, that was just an example of first leg to reach Sarria by bus from Barcelona so you have alternatives. Take a bus from Barcelona to Lugo (those ones run daily) with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en). Once in Lugo, take another bus to Sarria with Monbus (www.monbus.es). Buses from Lugo to Sarria run daily too. Alternatively, you can take a train from Lugo to Sarria (www.renfe.com for more info) but I think bus better for you (more daily frequencies and no need to transfer for the bus station to the train station).

Many thanks, Castilian, for your support. Just to let others know how did I do and lessons learnt:

I took ALSA bus to Lugo. It took me about 15-16 hours (it left at 10AM from Barcelona Sants bus station) and it arrived around 2 AM in Lugo. The booking I made only one day in advance. I booked a hotel next to the bus station which is in the proximity of the entry into the city. I did not go to Sarria as I initially planned but I started my trip from Lugo instead. Loved the portion of the Camino Primitivo (from Lugo to Melide) joining afterwards the Camino Frances till Santiago. I made the whole journey by foot in about 4 days and 2 hours in the morning. The last leg was from Vilamaior till Santiago which is about 8,5 km.
I could not book Renfe, there were no seats available.

Lessons learnt about travelling arrangements specifically:
1. booking all the internal trips (in Spain that is) in advance (that is at least one week before the travelling)
2. the bus ride is too long and gets you tired. I would recommend it only if planning to stop in other cities and doing sight-seeing
3. have at least 2-3 travel options/plans prepared in advance so that the decisions are made quickly

Thanks again, Castilian for the tips

Many thanks, Whariwharangi, for your support. Your information is very valuable. Next time I will organise myself better, in advance and not from Barcelona but from Madrid which has better connections. I am back home with lots of positive experiences but sorrow feet.

hello. is the overnight tren still operating? i found information about it in the renfe website, but i can't find any means to check schedules and availability, much less to book seats. thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back