• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Biarritz/Bordeaux to SJPP

RebekkaMagnella

Time of past OR future Camino
8th of September - middle of October?
Hi! Help is greatly appreciated as I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what to do. I'm this >< close to being able to buy plane tickets but I can't figure out what would be the best option for me. I've spent hours on trainline, rome2rio, google maps, forum posts, etc and I just get more and more overwhelmed.

I'm from Denmark and will have a layover in Stansted, and I have two options:
1. I can fly from Stansted to Bordeaux (after 3 hours layover) the 6th of September 19:55-22:30. Then either sleep at the airport (or find a hotel near either the airport or the train station) in Bordeaux and get a train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - maybe the one from 06:29-09:57 on the 7th so I get a full day in St-Jean and can start my camino next morning (the 8th). (I guess I could also take a later train to St-Jean and spend half a day in Bordeaux
2. Fly from Stansted 06:30-09:30 to Biarritz on the 7th (after a 7 or 14 hours layover in Stansted) and then take the next train (probably 13:38-15:37) to St-Jean.

I am so, so, so confused by the different train stations, busses, etc. in both cities but especially whether it would be worth it to take the late flight to Bordeaux and then find my way to the train station very early in the morning. Any advice and guidance related to the specific train stations (and addresses) would be so appreciated. I guess I just need to get to Bayonne and then take another train to St-Jean?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would take the 14hr layover in Stansted so you can spend the night and then fly into Biarritz. Then take a 10 min (SNCF or TGV) train to Bayonne. From Bayonne there is a direct train which you seem to have already found, to SJPdP.
I you need any more help, let me know. I am currently on the TGV from Paris to Bayonne and have some time to kill.
Buen Camino!

I would take the 14hr layover in Stansted so you can spend the night and then fly into Biarritz. Then take a 10 min (SNCF or TGV) train to Bayonne. From Bayonne there is a direct train which you seem to have already found, to SJPdP.
I you need any more help, let me know. I am currently on the TGV from Paris to Bayonne and have some time to kill.
Buen Camino!
Thinking about it a second time, maybe flying into Bordeaux is just as good. Spend the night in a hostel. Next morning, you take the same TGV to Bayonne for 2 hours. Rest of the itinerary stays the same.
Choose whichever option is cheaper and/or more comfortable for you :) Either option requires spending one night, either in Stansted or in Bordeaux

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @RebekkaMagnella, and welcome to the forum! First of all, relax ☺️. Neither Bordeaux nor Biarritz/Bayonne are particularly large cities and it is easy to get from airports to stations and vice versa.

None of your two options looks better than the other. The question is basically how much time you want to spend at Stansted airport and perhaps also how much it will cost you as to accommodations and transfers overall.

Here are some pointers:

https://www.bordeaux.aeroport.fr/en/access-transport/bus - this is a regular bus (line 1) to get from the airport to the station including trajectory and timetable. About 40 minutes.

https://www.bordeaux.aeroport.fr/en/access-transport/direct-shuttle-airport-train-station - this is a direct shuttle bus from the airport to the station including timetable. Unfortunately, it will departs only between 7:30 and 20:15 so it will be too late for you on the day of your arrival. About 30 minutes.

I personally avoid sleeping in airports and I don't know anything about Bordeaux airport in this respect.

Use booking.com (make use of their map) for finding accommodation. I've stayed in the Ibis Styles hotel which is very close to the station which is called Saint Jean station, btw. Ibis is a modern hotel chain in France and I'd recommend it. There appears to be a hostel in the vicinity with shared dorms which would be cheaper. There are numerous hotels close to the airport and you can walk to them.

As to your second option: You seem to be well informed about transport options. If you don't know about it: there is also Express Bourricot (https://www.expressbourricot.com). They are a kind of commercial car pooling company and pick up pilgrims from Biarritz airport. I've used them and would recommend them. If there are several pilgrims on the same transfer trip, the price for the trip from the airport to SJPP can be as little as €20 and you don't have the hassle of bus / train / waiting.

Buen Camino!

Simplest way to SJPP from Biarritz Airport is to walk out the front door, find a cab that will take you to SJPP and then find 3 more people carrying backpacks. Ask if they care to split the fare. It takes me less than 5 minutes to fill the cab. Plus, you get to meet and chat with 3 new friends for an hour.

Hi! Help is greatly appreciated as I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what to do. I'm this >< close to being able to buy plane tickets but I can't figure out what would be the best option for me. I've spent hours on trainline, rome2rio, google maps, forum posts, etc and I just get more and more overwhelmed.

I'm from Denmark and will have a layover in Stansted, and I have two options:
1. I can fly from Stansted to Bordeaux (after 3 hours layover) the 6th of September 19:55-22:30. Then either sleep at the airport (or find a hotel near either the airport or the train station) in Bordeaux and get a train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - maybe the one from 06:29-09:57 on the 7th so I get a full day in St-Jean and can start my camino next morning (the 8th). (I guess I could also take a later train to St-Jean and spend half a day in Bordeaux
2. Fly from Stansted 06:30-09:30 to Biarritz on the 7th (after a 7 or 14 hours layover in Stansted) and then take the next train (probably 13:38-15:37) to St-Jean.

I am so, so, so confused by the different train stations, busses, etc. in both cities but especially whether it would be worth it to take the late flight to Bordeaux and then find my way to the train station very early in the morning. Any advice and guidance related to the specific train stations (and addresses) would be so appreciated. I guess I just need to get to Bayonne and then take another train to St-Jean?
Of the two options mentioned, the first one, in my opinion seems preferable. Stansted is a terrible airport to stay at for a longer time. You could choose a hotel, of course. BUT why not take a direct flight from Stansted to Biarritz. If you don't have any objections against Ryan. And don't take the train from Biarritz to Bayonne. There is 2,2 km to the train station. A bus is leaving for the Bayonne center every now and then just outside the airport. Bayonne's a nice city for a stroll. Lots of places to stay in the city center and close to the 'gare'. And St-Jean is nice, too, but much smaller. Whatever, buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
BUT why not take a direct flight from Stansted to Biarritz
Isn't that option 2:
2. Fly from Stansted 06:30-09:30 to Biarritz on the 7th (after a 7 or 14 hours layover in Stansted).

I presume that @RebekkaMagnella starts the journey at an unnamed airport and that there are no direct flights from this airport to Biarritz and hence the layover at Stansted.

Isn't that option 2:

I presume that @RebekkaMagnella starts the journey at an unnamed airport and that there are no direct flights from this airport to Biarritz and hence the layover at Stansted.
Isn't that option 2:

Sorry, you're right, Kathar1na. Didn't read it properly. So, option 2 gotta be the preferable one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
14 hours in Stanstead is the sort of cruel and unnatural punishment that the convention on human rights tried to eliminate. A night in Biarritz or Bayonne is a precious gift
😂
My first reaction was the same: 3 hours at Stansted airport is more than enough.

I don't like to arrive late at night and I don't like to depart very early in the morning, so neither option would appeal to me. My usual strategy is to have a stopover - if necessary - as close to my final destination as possible. If there are any problems - strikes, cancellations, bad weather, missed connections - it is easier to move on when you are already in the foreign country and/or close to where you want to go than being far away. So, option 1 would fit the bill.

Hi all! Thank you so much for all your replies and help. I was quite stressed out yesterday after having spent countless hours searching for flights and trains between multiple cities and making schedules and lists trying to get an overview.

I finally made my decision and bought tickets today. I'm flying from Denmark to Stansted (15:55-16:30), bought a room at an airport hotel in Stansted - breakfast included! (ofc much more expensive than a hostel in Bordeaux but I got it for £108/€125 which could be worse considering). That means I can go very early to bed so even though I have to get up early the next morning I'll hopefully still have slept enough.
I'm then taking the 06:40-09:30 flight to Biarritz and then the train to SJPP which is only €11,2 which I think sounds like a great price? Anyway, I really don't mind takin the train, so I'll arrive in SJPP at about 4pm on the 7th! :)

Again, thank you so much for all your help! Walking (or trying to walk) the camino francés is quite a spontaneous decision so I've been doubting myself and this decision a lot haha. :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back