• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Burgos to Castrojeriz by taxi or bus?

Tecoch

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk June 2016
Hi everyone -

My family of four will be starting our Camino in Castrojeriz on June 19 (yay!). We'll arrive in Burgos on Saturday, June 18 around 11am. I see that there is a bus from Burgos to Castro leaving at 1:30 so we'll hope for that. I'd love to book ahead but haven't seen a way to do that. So, if the bus is full or we can't get tickets do you think it will be possible to get a taxi? It looks like a 35 minute drive.

any info would be greatly appreciated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi where did you found the timetable of the bus? I' m interested on it.

In June 2014 I took the taxi to go from Burgos to Itero del Castillo and I payed about 53€ for me, my daughter and two backpacks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone -

My family of four will be starting our Camino in Castrojeriz on June 19 (yay!). We'll arrive in Burgos on Saturday, June 18 around 11am. I see that there is a bus from Burgos to Castro leaving at 1:30 so we'll hope for that. I'd love to book ahead but haven't seen a way to do that. So, if the bus is full or we can't get tickets do you think it will be possible to get a taxi? It looks like a 35 minute drive.

any info would be greatly appreciated!
I used the weekday service that departs later in the day. The ticket counter was opened by the bus driver - there is no arrangement for pre-booking.

The bus was far from full when I used it, but that is no guarantee it will be the same for the Saturday service.

So, if the bus is full or we can't get tickets do you think it will be possible to get a taxi?

Yes, you could get a taxi but it's more than 50 Euros and even than 60 Euros depending on when you catch it. But don't worry too much, the bus is very unlikely to be full.

where did you found the timetable of the bus?

http://autobusesamaya.com/2014/04/17/ruta-autobuses-amaya-en-el-camino-santiago
The timetable is from 2014. I don't think they changed it but if you want to confirm the schedule, get in contact with them (click on dónde estamos... for contact details).

The bus was far from full when I used it, but that is no guarantee it will be the same for the Saturday service.

...the day the OP needs to get the bus. Locals are less likely to take the Saturday service than any of the services from Monday to Friday. That's likely why the Saturday service is just seasonal. But you never know if the Saturday the OP (or any other person) needs it, it'll be full or close to full by some reason.

An anecdote: I remember on a(nother) short route (not one related with the camino) a bus that I had taken several times and was always almost empty (less than 25% of seats occupied) got one day almost full at a stop on one of the towns along the route because a(n organized) group of local women were traveling to the next town. The bus was almost empty, as usual, an when I saw the big group I thought there wouldn't be seats for everyone... Fortunately there were seats for all of them and even some seats remained unoccupied but it was the only time I saw that bus almost full... Well, not sure if almost full is the best description because I don't recall how many seats were actually occupied. Maybe, much more busier than usual and than expected would be a better description... Anyway, I think you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you know there is bus service from Madrid Moncloa to Castrojeriz? No need to transit Burgos.

We don't know what's the starting point of Tecoch so we can't know if Tecoch needs to transit Burgos (or not).

If Tecoch arrived to Madrid airport, I think that a bus from Madrid airport to Burgos plus another one from Burgos to Castrojeriz is easier than taking the metro from Madrid airport to Moncloa (that involves a change of lines along the route and takes time) and a bus from Madrid (Moncloa intercambiador) to Burgos. To get from the airport to Moncloa by metro, allow minimum 40-45 minutes. And take your time in Nuevos Ministerios to be sure you take line 6 (the circular one) in the right direction because otherwise it'll take you an eternity to arrive to Moncloa...

Another point to have in mind is that on weekends the bus from Madrid to Castrojeriz departs at 09:00 a.m. That's fine if you are already in Madrid but it might be too early if you are comming that day to Madrid by plane or bus or train...

P.S.: OTOH, I'm glad to see that you recall about the direct bus from Madrid to Castrojeriz that I quoted on another thread.

Thank you everyone for the v. helpful replies! Looks like we have a few options! However we get there, it will be part of our adventure. :)

CASTROJERIZ

. DEPARTURE FROM BURGOS TO CASTROJERIZ AT 17:30 H.

The ticket is bought at the box office of the bus station of Burgos: C / Miranda 4,

Which will open half an hour before the bus leaves.

. DEPARTURE FROM CASTROJERIZ TO BURGOS AT 8:00 H.

Stop 1 : Carretera Villasandino, junction with the Camino de Santiago.

Stop 2 : Carretera Hontanas, marquee in front of the gas station.

The price of the ticket is 4.75 euros

(The ticket is bought on the bus itself)

NOTE:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On FESTIVAL days, none of the routes will be made.

On Sundays there will be no routes.

For more information write to: info @ autobusesamaya.co

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back