• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Madrid airport to rail station

junie

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Frances (2018)
I was just told by Rail Europe to allow at least 3 hours to get from the Madrid airport to the downtown rail station! And that's even if I use the internal trains from T4 at the airport. I've not seen this in any posts before; are y'all in agreement?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nope, you could walk it in less. 3 hours from touch down maybe, if you are waiting for baggage, get into an argument at customs and spend to long at the bar 'recovering' from your flight. Trains run every half-hour.
Perfecto! Thanks much.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not take the bus from the airport to Atocha Train Station? It takes less than an hour and is easy. No need to book in advance.

Ok, when I am about to begin an epic journey I don't like to worry about how to get to the train station.

I walk outside the terminal as I would in any airport.

There is this line of little white cars called taxis.

I get in one said car and say "Sharmarteen" or "Atokha".

I am there for about 20 or 30 bucks I think.

Just another way to do it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was just told by Rail Europe to allow at least 3 hours to get from the Madrid airport to the downtown rail station! And that's even if I use the internal trains from T4 at the airport. I've not seen this in any posts before; are y'all in agreement?
Are you sure you know what train station? Where are you going? If Leon or many others the train leaves from Chamartin not Atocha. I have taken trains many times from Chamartin and from Term 1 2 hours all in from disembarkbto train is fine. I take metro and 2 transfers. But if you are worried about getting lost. Taxi.

Madrid has no single "downtown" station as such - Atocha in the south, for destinations in the south of Spain, Chamartin in the north, for destinations in....well, you get the picture. If you are joining the CF, I think you will be going via Chamartin. If you are arriving at Terminal 4 at Madrid airport, it has its own railway station on floor 1. Cercanias (suburban) line C-1 goes direct to Chamartin in less than 20 minutes. Fare is €2.60, tickets from a machine. (Have some euros ready.) Taxis, indeed! (Goes to lie down in darkened room.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've used taxis from Madrid airport many times. They are really convenient, and yes, sometimes convenience is rules the day :) I've also taken Metro and Cercanias to and from the airport and around Madrid quite a bit. They are easy and cheap to use.

Madrid has no single "downtown" station as such - Atocha in the south, for destinations in the south of Spain, Chamartin in the north, for destinations in....well, you get the picture. If you are joining the CF, I think you will be going via Chamartin. If you are arriving at Terminal 4 at Madrid airport, it has its own railway station on floor 1. Cercanias (suburban) line C-1 goes direct to Chamartin in less than 20 minutes. Fare is €2.60, tickets from a machine. (Have some euros ready.) Taxis, indeed! (Goes to lie down in darkened room.)
This has me nervous now.... as my train ticket to Leon tomorrow, has a departure of Atocha on the ticket, which doesn’t align with what you’re saying. AND I’ve come to learn that things are not what they seem in Spain.... advice?
Shari

This has me nervous now.... as my train ticket to Leon tomorrow, has a departure of Atocha on the ticket, which doesn’t align with what you’re saying. AND I’ve come to learn that things are not what they seem in Spain.... advice?
Shari
Atocha is another major train station in Madrid. Trains to León from Madrid do leave from the Chamartín station, but it is possible that your ticket starts in Atocha, which would mean that you would catch the Cercanías train system to get to Chamartín from Atocha.

Tell us more about what your ticket says and where you bought it.

And, I'm not sure what you mean about things not being what they seem in Spain -- I live in the US and I can tell you that the Spanish rail system is about three billion times better than what we have here.

Buen camino, how exciting that you are going to León tomorrow!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I purchased the ticket online from the Renfe site and it says
Salida: MADRD - P.A
Llegada: LEÓN

I just find that the obvious is not necessarily obvious here.... like if what is printed on my ticket isn’t accurate and I’m supposed to be at Chamartin... that sort of thing.

Thanks,
Shari

I’ve got some wonderful hostel staff here that might be able to help me understand this further.... I’ll go ask to verify.
Thanks,
Shari

Mystery solved, I think.

It used to be that if you wanted to take a fast train from León, Palencia, and Valladolid to Andalucia (Sevilla, etc.), you had to take one train from León, etc., to Madrid-Chamartín, and then transfer to Madrid-Atocha on Cercanías to get the fast train from Madrid to Andalucía. In order to allow people to make that journey without transferring train stations in Madrid, RENFE introduced a couple of fast trains from north to south that go through Atocha and not Chamartin.

This is very good information for people who are staying in central Madrid and find it easier to get to Atocha than Chamartín.

This new service was introduced 5 years ago, so I'm not sure how no one noticed it -- but better late than never!

http://www.eldiadevalladolid.com/no...s/leon/palencia/valladolid/eje/cordobasevilla

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh lovely news, thank you bushels!!! The girl downstairs reassured me that I was leaving from Puerta de Atocha and seemed perplexed why I would question what was written on my ticket! :rolleyes:

My initial question popping in on this thread was going to be ;).... is the train station close to the cathedral? I’ve been hunting for a name or address of the train station and coming up blank. Or just knowing there are yellow arrows by the station is good enough for me!

Shari

It’s a bit of a walk but will be well signposted. At some stage after 10/15 mins depending on how fast you walk you will find the yellow arrows that lead to the Cathedral and beyond! Don’t overthink it you will be fine!

EA18F7E6-2E22-4AEC-8EF4-4289BAD537B6.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Shari
Don't expect to find any yellow arrows from the railway station as it isn't on the Camino.

The Camino comes in from the right near Casa Botines (shown on @donalomahony map) but it's a straight road.

When you enter the Plaza Regla turn left and you'll find a great ice cream shop ;)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back