• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation options from Madrid airport to Sahagun for Camino de Santiago

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hi all,

I'm hoping to walk from Sahagun to Santiago and on to the coast in the second half of April, picking up my most recent Camino from where I left off in 2019.

I haven't booked anything yet, but I'm planning to fly from Dublin to Madrid on the morning of Saturday, April 16, get to Sahagun that day, and start walking on the Sunday.

I've been doing some searching online and it seems like there aren't very many options for getting to Sahagun from Madrid, particularly with same day travel in mind. My fight is due to land around 10am, so I was initially assuming I would have options between buses and trains, but the only viable looking option I have been able to identify has been via the raileurope.com website - a train from the airport at 2.10pm, due to arrive in Sahagun at 4.59pm (changing at Palencia).

Now, getting there at 5pm certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'm wondering if people are aware of other, more attractive alternatives? I feel like there should be more options out there than I've been able to find.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I'm hoping to walk from Sahagun to Santiago and on to the coast in the second half of April, picking up my most recent Camino from where I left off in 2019.

I haven't booked anything yet, but I'm planning to fly from Dublin to Madrid on the morning of Saturday, April 16, get to Sahagun that day, and start walking on the Sunday.

I've been doing some searching online and it seems like there aren't very many options for getting to Sahagun from Madrid, particularly with same day travel in mind. My fight is due to land around 10am, so I was initially assuming I would have options between buses and trains, but the only viable looking option I have been able to identify has been via the raileurope.com website - a train from the airport at 2.10pm, due to arrive in Sahagun at 4.59pm (changing at Palencia).

Now, getting there at 5pm certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'm wondering if people are aware of other, more attractive alternatives? I feel like there should be more options out there than I've been able to find.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
It’s surprising that whilst Spain has high quality railways, essentially radiating out from Madrid; they don’t actually run many trains. I’ve often found myself in a modern, clean and spacious station with very few others and even fewer trains. Pamplona and Logrono are prime examples.

I pretty much always now overnight in Madrid before setting off to my Camino start-point.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also use the Google Maps directions function to find potential routes. Use schedule explorer on a computer instead of a mobile device to see the most options over time.

Easy. Enjoy an extra day in Madrid, if needed.

Yeah, I see why you'd say that, but my schedule is pretty tight. I want to get 14 walking days in, and that means getting to Sahagun on the day I arrive and then getting started the next day... hopefully!

It’s surprising that whilst Spain has high quality railways, essentially radiating out from Madrid; they don’t actually run many trains. I’ve often found myself in a modern, clean and spacious station with very few others and even fewer trains. Pamplona and Logrono are prime examples.

I pretty much always now overnight in Madrid before setting off to my Camino start-point.
Always a sound plan, but I really want to maximise my walking window, if at all possible. I flew into Madrid in 2016 for the Primitivo and overnighted, but I had a little more time that year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yeah, I see why you'd say that, but my schedule is pretty tight. I want to get 14 walking days in, and that means getting to Sahagun on the day I arrive and then getting started the next day... hopefully!
It may not be possible or you may need to stay over in Leon or Burgos and get a late start after getting into Sahagun the next day if you can find an early connection the next morning.

What happens if you try putting in Dublin to Sahagun on Rome2Rio.com and look at alternate locations to fly into... Santiago for example, and then a train backward?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What happens if you try putting in Dublin to Sahagun on Rome2Rio.com and look at alternate locations to fly into... Santiago for example, and then a train backward?
Great suggestion, but Madrid is the only practical option for flying out on the day I want to travel. I could fly to Bilbao that day, but I wouldn't arrive until very late in the afternoon, which whereas I get to Madrid in the morning.

As I said in my initial post, there does appear to be a train option, I was just wondering if there was something more favourable available. It would appear not!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try searching OMIO.com (which now owns R2R, and has more travel options than the R2R site), and go from MAD to Leon - there MAY be a bus or train from Leon to Sahagun later in the day - you could then walk from Sahagun to Bercianos or El Bergo Ranero for your first day. ...or a taxi from Leon...
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Mark
You could try BlaBlaCar app, there are often people travelling to and from Madrid and other cities and towns. The app gives you a list of potential cars and costs. It's then a matter of sending them a message to agree a pick up point and time.

Don’t know about the airport … but there are direct trains from Madrid to León, and regular trains (multiple times a day) from León to Sahagun.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Hi, Mark
I have had same past experiences as you have. Spring 2017, I started the Camino from St, JPP and I had to stop at Sahagun due to the cold symptoms and infected blisters and flew back to USA unexpectedly.
In the fall same year, I went back to the Camino and started from Sahagun to the end and I happened to stay the same albergue where I stayed extra days hoping my cold symptoms go away. I flew to Madrid from Texas and I took a train to Sahagun via Leon. I don't remember exact time but It worked out very well.
I'll be taking the Camino on this early April from SJPP and hope to finish the entire route. We might be able to see each other in the latter part of the Camino. Good luck to you on your plan and Buen Camino!!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Ryanair fly to Santander from Dublin - when i finished my camino last year in Sahagún i took the train from there via Palencia to Santander. The same train (Palencia - Santander) stops in Frómista.... So that could be an option for you...

(I went via Palencia for a variety of reasons, i didn't really look into going from Sahagún to Frómista but a bus or taxi might be an option for that section)

Don’t know about the airport … but there are direct trains from Madrid to León, and regular trains (multiple times a day) from León to Sahagun.
We are planning to start in Sahagun in March. We were pleased to see trains from Chamartin train station in Madrid to Sahagun. I think there is one change. (This may be the same train that goes on to Leon?) So I don't think there would be a need to go to Leon and then back to Sahagun. Just get off in Sahagun.

There are frequent trains from Madrid airport T4 to Chamartin:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Omio.com will do this as well, without having to do separate searches. 😉 I used Omio last Fall in Spain & Portugal. It's German owned.

There may be limited transportation that weekend because it’s Easter weekend

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I flew from Edinburgh to Santander and took the bus to Palencia then train to Sahagun, it was easy

We are planning to start in Sahagun in March. We were pleased to see trains from Chamartin train station in Madrid to Sahagun. I think there is one change. (This may be the same train that goes on to Leon?) So I don't think there would be a need to go to Leon and then back to Sahagun. Just get off in Sahagun.

There are frequent trains from Madrid airport T4 to Chamartin:
My experience from a few years ago is that connection is in Palencia and it is similar to the TGV connection in Bordeaux to catch the train to Bayonne, smaller station and basically nothing to it other than there was a security check going on that day.

Sahagun is the train and bus stop nearest to my house, so I know it pretty well. I love train travel. I am very sad that Spain is doing awful things to its rail network lately.
Before Renfe began its disastrous plan to upgrade high-speed rail service between major cities (and abandon smaller rural areas in between), there were seven direct trains every day to/from Sahagun. Now there is one. It is always late.
You can still get to Sahagun from Madrid airport. Once you arrive, buy a ticket at the T4 station on the ground level, and take the Cercanias train to Chamartin. There you can pick up the next train to Palencia. There you will connect to the local line to Sahagun. If you're lucky there won't be much of a wait.
Continuing on past Sahagun to Leon and doubling backward seems counter-intuitive, but knowing the way Renfe works, it might be the most sensible thing to do, time-wise.
If you get to Palencia and find you have a long wait for the Sahagun train, take the short walk over to the bus station and try your luck there. You might get there a lot sooner!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Mark
I took a direct train from Madrid to Sahagun in 2019. I do recall waiting in Madrid a few hours. I used the time to purchase walking poles before getting in the train. Pleasant train ride. I made reservations at a hostel in Sahagun so I knew that I had a bed since arriving late.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back