• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting from Madrid to Pamplona

Atlastbarb

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I think this has been covered before, but since my Spanish is so poor, I've tried all of the websites (Renfe and Alsa) to purchase a ticket from MAD to Pamplona on August 10, 2016. I've had no luck at all. Is it possible to just buy ticket that day? Chances that it can be overbooked? I would like to leave from MAD T4, will take either train or bus. Im getting nowhere online.............

I would appreciate any help......

Thanks in advance

Barb

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Barb, I just moved your post to the section on "traveling to and from the camino," where you will find a lot of good information on this topic. Start with Whari's post: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...to-roncesvalles-and-sjpdp-via-pamplona.23395/

If you could be more specific about what you mean when you say you've had no luck on the Alsa or RENFE websites, that'd help. For RENFE, it may be the case that you can't purchase a ticket with a US credit card, but PayPal works like a charm, I've been told. Not sure about what could be the problem with Alsa, because I've seen a lot of posts here from people who have bought tickets on their website. IF you are just frustrated using the online sites and don't mind paying a premium, both raileurope and petrabax are online brokers.

August is vacation month for Spaniards, so buses and trains will be fuller than normal. I would buy a ticket in advance, but that's just me.

By train, you need to take a Cercanías (commuter) train from the T4 of the airport to Atocha (in downtown Madrid). You can't book that one in advance so just get it on arrival. Once in Atocha, you can take a train from Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona/Iruña. That one can be booked in advance on the web of RENFE. To know how to use the RENFE web, avoid common problems and/or know for alternative booking options if you can't make the RENFE web work for you, take a look at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com

The bus route from Madrid's airport (Terminal 4) to Pamplona with Alsa means a change of buses in Soria. If you choose Madrid-Barajas Airport T4 as departure point and Pamplona as destination, it'll show you all the options available on your travel date. You can click on see itinerary to see the route, know the transfer time in Soria... The web of Alsa deals well with routes involving a change of buses along the route so there's no need to make separate searches/bookings for each leg of the route. If, by some reason, your credit card isn't accepted and you are a user of PayPal, you can also pay with PayPal. Otherwise, ask your bank just in case they were blocking your credit card for security reasons.

An alternative to book Alsa tickets on the web of Alsa would be to book them on the web of Movelia (www.movelia.es)

P.S.: PLM (http://plmautocares.com) has a daily except Sundays bus from Madrid's airport (terminal 4) to Pamplona and it's direct (i.e.: you don't need to change buses along the route). You might give it a try if the schedule suited you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Only the bus leaves from T-4. If your flight matches the bus departure times, it will be most convenient. I have done this a few times and the bus has never been full. For the train you need to take the Cercanias to the train station and transfer. Trains rarely run full, but you could be unlucky. You can buy your train ticket in the T-4 terminal, and it will include the ticket for the Cercanias.

I haven't used the Renfe site but I'm big fan of Alsa. I tried your date on the site just now and there were no problems. The cheapest ticket was €22 and the journey is 5 hours. The buses run regularly.

I've always used Mastercard and added the pittance for insurance. The only time I had to cancel a trip, I got the money back in the blink of an eye.

I put "Alsa Buses" in the search box and got the English version straight away. All the buses we've used have been excellent-on time, comfortable and they usually have good wifi.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just checked on my browser, 4 buses run from T4 Madrid airport on that day - all showing availability. I booked using the web site a month ago, just a few days before I left on my Camino from Burgos to Santiago - no problems experienced. Like person above buses are first class, so much better then the train. Shouldn't worry about the transfers if needed, its chaotic sometimes but no one gets left behind.

Alsa and PLM Autocares operate buses from Madrid to Pamplona.

The buses leave from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America. Some, but not all, buses make a stop at Madrid airport T4.

There are buses almost hourly. There should be no need to obtain a ticket prior to arrival at the bus station.

EMT Madrid #200 bus picks up at several spots at Madrid Airport T1 T2 T3 T4 and terminates at Avenida de America. The #200 operates every 10 - 20 minutes.

http://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto?lang=es-ES

http://www.emtmadrid.es/EMTBUS/Mi-linea?lang=es-ES

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back