• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting from madrid to roncevailles

Magnara

Maggie Ramsay
Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago de Compostela (2005) Via Francigena (2010) Le Puy to St Jean (2014)
Hi
Can anyone help me with info about the best way to get from Madrid to Roncevailles? We are flying in to Madirid, could hire a car or catch other transport. Our arrival date in Madrid will be about 27 or 28 December. Yes, we have decided to do the winter walk, but with the proviso that we will take any local weather advice, and we have allowed enough time to be able to outwait bad weather, stay put and bring on the sangria! By the way, to the person who recommended me to contact Sue Kenney - I did so and she has been very helpful, thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Madrid to Roncesvalles

I am pleased you contacted Sue and that she has been able to put your mind at rest. You could possibly have had the worst weather in March so going in December is not any more risky.
You can get to Pamplona by bus, train or fly.
To Roncesvallesby bus: Autocares Artieda bus (formerly Lamontanesa) Mon-Fri at ± 18h00: Sat at 14h00 (Not Sundays):
By Taxi: Luzaide/Valcarlos: Andoni 636191423: From Garralda: Angel Mª 609411449 From Espinal: Francisco 649725951
Buen Camino

easy as pie
you can fly from madrid to pamplona or take the train
(you can take the metro directly from the airport to the train station,
if i remember correctly)
i haven't taken the bus from madrid to pamplona
but spanish buses are excellent in general
they are cheaper than the trains, run more frequently,
and go to more places
you can take the bus from pamplona to roncesvalles
the lamontanesa bus used to get you to roncesvalles in time
to have dinner and attend the pilgrim mass at the church
i'm wondering if this 6 pm bus does?
cuz the pilgrim mass is not to be missed

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
transport from madrid to roncesvalles

Hi Leslie and Sil
Thank you for your replies, I was so happy to receive them. Could you also let me know how long it takes (roughly) to get there by train or by bus?
And you mentioned taxi - how much would that cost?
Thank you
Best regards
Magnara

getting to SJPP

What do you think is the best way to get to SJPP? I'm still not sure whether you would advise flying into Europe to Paris, Madrid or Rome. We could go to any of them equally easily (flying from Australia). From the one you suggest, which is the best way to get to SJPP? And back from Santiago? We will book our flights once we know this.
Many thanks,
Magnara

Flying to Spain

Hi Magnara,
Air Iberia flies to Paris. You could probably arrange for a connecting Iberia flight to either Bilbao or to Madrid from there. Then you could fly back to Bilbao or Paris from Santiago.
Not sure what the costs would be though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Magnara, see my post in another thread. Go to either Paris or Madrid - it is easier to get to SJPP from Paris, to Roncesvalles from Madrid. Rome is not a good option (although I love Rome.....but save that for another trip). I SOOOOO envy you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back