• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Madrid to SJPdP

Alan Grannum

Bajan-boy
Time of past OR future Camino
Looking to do the Camino Frances in May/June 2018
Buen Camino to all.

We are travelling from Barbados West Indies to do the camino May 15 to June 26 next year. Am planning to travel BDS - Miami - Madrid - SJPP and was looking at going thru Pamplona. Looking at train schedules it seems that the arrival in Pamplona is after the last bus to SJPP meaning we will have overnight. We could take a taxi or a bus to Roncevalles, but from what I have seen, it is expensive. Is there a train service from Madrid to Bayonne to get the train from there to start the Camino on the 17th. I can't find it on the train schedules. Another option seems to be to get a flight from Madrid to Bayonne/Biarritz. Does anybody have any suggestions to get to SJPP without spending a lot of money doing so?

Have looked at going via UK but the taxes here make it very expensive. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice on this forum, I have been an avid follower.

Alan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think your best bet would be to fly to Biarritz. Less time and hassle. Looking at Iberia's website, it does not project that far into the future, but similiar flights are available for about 148 euro. Check the Goeuro site;
https://www.goeuro.com/travel-search2/results/599373470/flight. Or a cheaper option would be to opt for the Camino de Madrid and simply start from there!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A matter of doing the sums, I think. The cost of one night at an airport hotel in Madrid (Ibis is currently showing about 80 euros) plus land transport, versus cost of a flight to Paris or London or whatever, plus airfare to Biarritz, plus land land sport. Or train from Paris (TGV?).

Sounds like a spreadsheet job to me!

Madrid to San Sebastian or Irun/Hendaye
Border crossing at Irun/Hendaye.
San Sebastian or Hendaye to Bayonne
Bayonne to SJPdP

Irun Renfe station is 3km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Spain and France have different rail gauge and power requirements so transfer of trains is necessary.

A Train

1. Madrid to Irun/Hendaye by Renfe train. Some trains terminate at Irun.

2. If your train terminates in Irun, take Euskotren Donostialdea Metro from Irun Colon to Hendaia. Colon station is located north of the Renfe station and across the bridge over the tracks. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye.

3. Gare d'Hendaye to Gare Bayonne by SNCF train.

4. Gare Bayonne to SJPdP by SNCF train. (common to all options)

B Plane

EAS San Sebastian airport is located 5 km travel from Gare d'Hendaye. Take local Ekialdebus from Airport to Irun Colon stop #47. Or take a taxi ... or if you have time; walk.

BIQ Biarritz airport is the closest airport to SJPdP. Take Chronoplus bus #14 from Anglet airport to Gare Bayonne.

C Bus

1. Madrid to San Sebastian by ALSA bus. ALSA provides service from San Sebastian to SJPdP via Pamplona ... but if you can't make Pamplona in time then not likely to work out.

2. PESA and ALSA provide bus service from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne.

2.5 a You could go to San Sebastian Amara station and catch Metro to Hendaia. Its located across the river about 1km from the San Sebastian bus and Renfe station

2.5 b You could take the Renfe Cercanias train from San Sebastian to Irun.

3. Transports64 bus #816 bus from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne.

4. PESA and Transports64 terminate at Place de Basques in Bayonne about 1km from Gare Bayonne and south of the river. ALSA terminates on south side of river from Gare Bayonne.

5. Transports 64 bus #211 from Bayonne to St Palais. Bus #210 from St Palais to SJPdP. (train schedule is much better)

Even if you don't make the last train from Bayonne you're still better off than being in Pamplona. The first train leaves Bayonne at 0740. The first bus leaves Pamplona at 1000.

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, @whariwharangi posts the reliable and complete info.
I'd only add that in Spain I bought in RENFE a ticket to Bayonne with transfer in Irún/Hendaye. The train took me all the way to Hendaye, where the French connection was waiting for us.
If this is not the case, there is a local suburban transfer, the "topo" or euskotren from Irun to Hendaye. It s a five minutes ride, just the other side of the border.
This train option may seem longer, but it does not include the hassle of looking for transportation in Pamplona. It is easy and stress-free.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you fly into Biarritz there is a bookable minibus service that takes you to SJPP. I'll look out the details although someone else can probably tell you. The more people who book the cheaper the transfer gets. I paid about €12 last time.

Where I could see timetable? Thank you!:)

If you fly into Biarritz there is a bookable minibus service that takes you to SJPP. I'll look out the details although someone else can probably tell you. The more people who book the cheaper the transfer gets. I paid about €12 last time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tincatinker -You got there ahead of me..... :)

There is no timetable as such. You let them know when you are arriving and they try to make up a full minibus. The more people the cheaper it becomes. There used to be a link where you could see how many spaces were left in minibuses but I can't find it. Contact them nearer the time for price and booking but Tincatinker's link gives you the idea. They were great when I used them....

. . . Looking at train schedules it seems that the arrival in Pamplona is after the last bus to SJPP meaning we will have overnight . . . Alan
Alan, it all depends on the arrival time to Madrid, here is a good example [caveat emptor, this is my actual schedule for next month, after arriving Madrid by flight early in the morning, traveling with my wife and taking no chances]:
-- Time 1135 Local: RENFE Train departs from Madrid-Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona
-- Time 1440 Local: RENFE Train arrives Pamplona
-- Time 1730 Local: ALSA Bus departs from Pamplona to St jean
-- Time 1915 Local: ALSA Bus arrives St Jean
-- Time TBD Local: Check in at Hostal Beilari
Anyway, good recommendations from forum members. Good luck with your decision, good luck with your planning, good luck with your travel, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

p.s. Viva the West Indies !!!

In 2016 we took a taxi from the Pamplona airport to SJPP on a Sunday morning. It costs us about $120.00US. This figure changes by a few dollars, depending on whether you take the trip on a weekend or a weekday. I would consider the money spent versus the time saved, coupled with the convenience of a direct ride. In addition you will/could get dropped off right at your ultimate locations doorstep.
If you get enough people here on the forum going on the same day, the costs could be divided to make it even cheaper.

Just my thoughts on the topic...........

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about flying into Paris.

You can then fly to Biarritz, or take the TGV to Bayonne and then the little train to SJPP.

This is going to be my 2nd option but still want to do my spreadsheet on the costings. Thanks and am looking at doing it 1 way then from Madrid in the return

In 2016 we took a taxi from the Pamplona airport to SJPP on a Sunday morning. It costs us about $120.00US. This figure changes by a few dollars, depending on whether you take the trip on a weekend or a weekday. I would consider the money spent versus the time saved, coupled with the convenience of a direct ride. In addition you will/could get dropped off right at your ultimate locations doorstep.
If you get enough people here on the forum going on the same day, the costs could be divided to make it even cheaper.

Just my thoughts on the topic...........
Need to look at posting for others travelling in the same day. Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back