• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Merida to Ourense

Broadbent

Time of past OR future Camino
Vía de la Plata (2018)
I'm in Seville. Going to Merida by bus tomorrow to see the Roman ruins. Plan to walk from Ourense to Santiago. So far only found a long, overnight bus ride with many stops. Does anyone have an idea how to get from Mérida to Ourense in a reasonable manner?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Doing a on line search, I find many buses Merida to Ourense. But bad news is they are as you described.

BE CAREFUL USING BUSBUD ! Two years ago I used it from Jerez to Lisbon via Seville. The bus never showed up! My Spanish friends and I had to ride train Jerez to Seville to catch another bus. Despite calling the company, we never got a refund! They don't care!

I prefer using AlSA in Spain.

May sound dumb, but may be better to ride bus back to Seville to get a faster bus.
Then ride bus from Seville to Santiago. If the bus does not stop in Ourense, then to Ourense from Santiago. But that is rather a long way around to get to Ourense. wow

There are various routes from Seville.

But, double check at the bus station in Merida about a faster bus to Ourense from Merida. Don't think there is one.

Road distance from Santiago de Compostela to Ourense is 82 kilometers.

If the bus from Seville does not stop in Ourense, there are many runs from Santiago to Ourense.

I have ridden buses from Santiago to Seville, Gijon to Seville and Sebastian to Seville many times.
All were overnight. Stopping a few times at gas stops/places to eat.

While not a bad ride. Didn't get much sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Back in 2013 I had to abandon my VDLP camino at Alconetar (about 5 days up from Merida). I took a combination of a train and a bus (over 2 days - personal choice ) to Salamanca. As I had to get to Santiago I took the train which did go through Ourense. If memory serves there was a very limited choice of service and I feel its the same situation you are facing - travel to intermediate places often arrive at less convenient times. Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think I have missed something...
I’m pretty sure I can clarify. In answer to the question I had posted “on foot” (which I still believe to be a wonderful way to get between those two points). Given the fact that my post was removed and that a clear reference was made to Rule 1, I can only assume the moderators felt I was being rude (While I was not intending to be rude, I concede it may have come across this way - I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be saying it was a personal attack) To further clarify, someone (not a mod) sent me a PM telling me I was unhelpful and they are glad there are not more people like me on the forum. I’ve warned them to avoid your thread @domigee!
To the original poster, I am sorry for coming across as rude. I certainly did not mean to be but want to put right any wrong I have committed.
Maybe using www.rome2rio.com might provide you with some other solution.
If all else fails, it truly is a delightful walk.

Just to clarify, PM's are also covered by the forum rules and are taken very seriously, so if you get a PM that you think is a personal attack or in any other way breaches the rules, please report it as you would a post.

I’m pretty sure I can clarify. In answer to the question I had posted “on foot” (which I still believe to be a wonderful way to get between those two points). Given the fact that my post was removed and that a clear reference was made to Rule 1, I can only assume the moderators felt I was being rude (While I was not intending to be rude, I concede it may have come across this way - I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be saying it was a personal attack) To further clarify, someone (not a mod) sent me a PM telling me I was unhelpful and they are glad there are not more people like me on the forum. I’ve warned them to avoid your thread @domigee!
To the original poster, I am sorry for coming across as rude. I certainly did not mean to be but want to put right any wrong I have committed.
Maybe using www.rome2rio.com might provide you with some other solution.
If all else fails, it truly is a delightful walk.
Thank you for the explanation @Kiwi-family

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back