Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Norte to Oviedo

Ozrob

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Nord
I'm currently in Bilbao recovering from the shock to my system of the last week from Irun 😅. I plan to follow the primitivo from Oviedo. Can someone please suggest the best point on the Norte to turn into Oviedo? Is it Villaviciosa or Aviles or somewhere else? Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm currently in Bilbao recovering from the shock to my system of the last week from Irun 😅. I plan to follow the primitivo from Oviedo. Can someone please suggest the best point on the Norte to turn into Oviedo? Is it Villaviciosa or Aviles or somewhere else? Thanks

There is a marked detour after Villaviciosa, which clearly points you to Oviedo. I have taken that route a couple of times and it’s fine. If you are a fan of ancient architecture, I would also HIGHLY recommend a detour off to visit the church at Valdediós. It is a pre-romanesque jewel, opens only at 11, though, and only about 9 km from Villaviciosa, so you will either have a long wait or a late start. Another option is to sleep in the albergue at Villaviciosa. I haven’t done that, but the last time I was there it was under “new management” and was vastly improved in its maintenance from the time I was there before. The “old management” was the monks, who were removed and replaced by the “new management” the nuns. And the result was spectacular!

Anyway, back to your question, there are two obvious places to break up the day into Oviedo, either in Vega de Sariego or in Pola de Siero. Gronze gives info on all of this.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/villaviciosa/pola-siero

If you are not going to take a rest day to enjoy the lovely city of Oviedo, sleeping the night before in Pola de Siero will at least give you a very short day so you can enjoy an afternoon there.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks so much. That all makes sense now. I couldnt find Valdedios in my app. His is a great reply and so prompt. Very much appreciated

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take the regular bus from Pola as the walk in to Oviedo is tarmac anyway and uninspiring.

Take the regular bus from Pola as the walk in to Oviedo is tarmac anyway and uninspiring.
That is not my memory. I do remember a lot of tarmac the first time I walked into Oviedo, but I have a clear impression of being pleasantly surprised on my second walk. I do remember that there is asphalt, as there always is on the way into a big city, but I don’t remember it starting In Pola. Others can correct me, though.

Just pick a spot! Northern Spain has excellent bus and rail service and Oviedo is a big city so it is just a couple hours travel from almost anywhere on the del Norte! I would suggest Ribadeo. That is where the del Norte heads inland and the beautiful seaside walking ends. Just take the train from Ribadeo to Oviedo, roughly 4 hours on the narrow gauge rails of Asturias and you are ready to begin the Primitivo!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't take the path to Oviedo but it is SO well marked you cannot miss it. And Oviedo is a lovely city. Buen camino.

My daughter and I took the bus from Santander to Oviedo. Not expensive and you don't miss much.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back