• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Pedrafita to O Cebreiro

Bala

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015, 2018, 2022
I plan to restart my Camino from O Cebreiro in October. The bus from Madrid stops about 4 km away in Pedrafita, arriving about 4 pm. If I decide to walk, is there a marked path or trail of any kind? Or would it just be along the same road as a taxi would take me? Any insights or recent experiences greatly appreciated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks. After an overseas flight and a relaxing (haha) six-hour bus ride from Madrid, taxi sounds good. But there were an easy, well-marked path and good weather, I wondered if walking would be a nice alternative. Doesn't sound like it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have walked that road many times during the past decade. If you do walk be sure to follow on the left side verges facing on-coming traffic and if possible wear bright colors and/or a reflective vest. Wave your roadside walking stick a bit so that car coming towards you see/know that you are there.

Give O Cebreiro my "best"; it is a very special spot.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Give O Cebreiro my "best"; it is a very special spot.

Good luck and Buen camino!

And that's exactly why I want to start there! It is so special, and I didn't get to spend nearly the time I wanted to this past spring.

I got there just after 9, when the church opened. The clear, sunny morning had turned overcast and misty by the time we got to the monastery, giving it a mystical, ethereal feeling. But my knees were in serious trouble and the walk up the mountain hadn't done anything to help -- not even with an overnight at the wonderful albergue in La Faba. I spent some time in the church, then hobbled along the mountain top. To this day I'm not sure how I made it to Fonfria! But that was pretty much the end of my walking.

So what better place to restart than O Cebreiro. This time I can go to the pilgrim mass and spend quiet time in the village, preparing for this latest stage of my pilgrimage and thinking about all those who have passed before and will come through in the future. No matter what happens to my knees between there and Santiago, I should be in good shape on day one. ;) I am so looking forward to it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you do walk up from the bus, do take care, @Bala!
I once walked that same road by accident between O Cebreiro and Liñares. The cars were going fast and there was no shoulder, a little like the road after Triacastella on the way to Samos. Fortunately the traffic was not heavy, but still. It just takes one car to ruin your day. ;)

We took a taxi from Pedrafita to OCebriero where we had stayed overnight in March. Flat rate was 10 Euros. It was snowy and icy then. Many drivers, must think they are racing on the Monaco Grand Prix the way they take the turns! Recommend you ride up. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And that's exactly why I want to start there! It is so special, and I didn't get to spend nearly the time I wanted to this past spring.

I got there just after 9, when the church opened. The clear, sunny morning had turned overcast and misty by the time we got to the monastery, giving it a mystical, ethereal feeling. But my knees were in serious trouble and the walk up the mountain hadn't done anything to help -- not even with an overnight at the wonderful albergue in La Faba. I spent some time in the church, then hobbled along the mountain top. To this day I'm not sure how I made it to Fonfria! But that was pretty much the end of my walking.

So what better place to restart than O Cebreiro. This time I can go to the pilgrim mass and spend quiet time in the village, preparing for this latest stage of my pilgrimage and thinking about all those who have passed before and will come through in the future. No matter what happens to my knees between there and Santiago, I should be in good shape on day one. ;) I am so looking forward to it!
Hi Bala Last year my wife and I stayed there because there was no accommodation in O'Cebriero we got a taxi down and a taxi up there are several small shops and cafes who will give you a number The girl who runs it ( I forget her name, is local, and usually sits up in O'Cebreiro)

@Marbe2 , were there taxis at the bus station, or did you call when you got there? Or arrange in advance?

You have to wonder about some drivers, don't you!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No bus station. We used taxi both ways from O,Cebriero. Sides of roads were covered with 3 ft of snow. The bus stop is close to the town hall and it is a two to three minute walk to a restaurant/ Bar. Unless you are in a rush...I would go to the Bar have a refreshment and ask the bar tender to call.

I took a taxi up with another perigrino cuz I had plantar fasciitis. Just loved O'Cebreiro so much. Enjoy! Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We, too, are going to be starting in O Cebreiro in early October (huzzah!) and we're looking for alternate ways of getting to Pedrafita itself. It looks like there's a train from Madrid to Lugo, and then a regular bus from Lugo to Pedrafita.

Unfortunately, the Renfe site being the Renfe site, I can't tell how often or when the Lugo train runs. Does anybody know?

That seems a rather exotic route to Pedrafita when there is a perfectly serviciable ALSA bus, direct. A rummage on Rome2rio.com might reveal options as yet undiscovered or revealed.

Thank you!

I was hoping to avoid a five hour bus, as my wife doesn't handle them all that well physically, and I think this site may have done the trick!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I spent a wild January house-sitting in Laguna de las Tablas, a tiny town just down the trail from O Cebreiro. On the sunny days me and the dog rambled most of the trails thereabouts, including the Pedrafita ones. There is an alternative to the road up to OC, but it´s definitely not for starting late in the day, or when you´re already tired. BUT it finishes up on the route followed by the legendary villager who participated in the Eucharistic miracle one wintery day a zillion years ago.

Hey Bala
I was at O Cebreiro recently and met a couple of Italians who got picked up from Madrid airport to OC using Bla Bla car ... so it’s was literally a “door to door “ transfer from the airport to the start of their Camino from OC! Sounds like a great car pooling arrangement!

There is an alternative to the road up to OC, but it´s definitely not for starting late in the day, or when you´re already tired. BUT it finishes up on the route followed by the legendary villager who participated in the Eucharistic miracle one wintery day a zillion years ago.

If I were arriving about 10 am, or not just getting off an international flight, this is exactly what I would want to do. But since I'm not and I am ..... oh, well.... taxi it is, I guess. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back