• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Sahagún to Porto

OTH86

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017, 2021, 2022
Not sure where to put this -- maybe a Mod can help...

Doing some last minute thinking - leaving the US in 2 1/2 weeks to walk the Madrid - about 3 weeks - I take my time. Was going to continue on the Frances to Santiago, but now thinking about the Portuguese - about 2 1/2 weeks for me. Considered the Invierno - it looks fabulous! But I think maybe that's for next year.

So, I need help figuring how to get from Sahagún / León to Porto. Any suggestions? Have looked on Rome2Rio, but just get confused. Do Alsa & RENFE operate in Portugal, or just go to border cities? I don't imagine this can be done in one day. So, I'll take two - maybe three? I have 8 weeks - so I think there's plenty of time.

I'll get a Tarjeta Dorada from the RENFE office at the Madrid Airport when I arrive, and do I understand that Portugal will just give me a reduced fare for being well over 60? - regular passport works?

Have already checked out postings & blogs by Laurie, Anniesantiago, KinkyOne, and Undermanager for the Madrid, KinkyOne's postings for the Invierno, and some postings for the Portuguese -- of course, I'll stay at the Casa de Fernanda - do I need a rezzie?

Thanks so much for any information, tips, and such!
Terry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As whariwharangi says you will probably need to stay overnight in Vigo, in which case Hotel Nautico is cheap and has good reviews. When I emailed them about arriving late they were friendly and helpful and they have rooms with baths!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've done that very long train shlep to Porto, with the stop in Vigo in between. If I were you, I'd just take the Sahagun-Ponferrada train and walk the Invierno to Monforte, or Lalin.

I've done that very long train shlep to Porto, with the stop in Vigo in between. If I were you, I'd just take the Sahagun-Ponferrada train and walk the Invierno to Monforte, or Lalin.
Funny you should mention this -- I've been trying to decide whether to "backtrack" from Sahagun to Porto or just continue as you suggest. The latter sounds wisest. But I might like to visit Porto again ;). I probably should do more info-gathering on both options so I don't waste time dithering when I get to Sahagun. Might depend on time, my aches and pains, and what does the Camino suggest... :) Looks like the Invierno might have more ups and downs - which I may need to take into account. Thanks, Rebekah, for making me think more about the choice!!
Terry

Last edited:
Hola, Terry,

Well, yes, invierno isn't the easiest of Caminos, but I'm sure you have plenty of time. Maybe even for visiting Porto once you reach SdC (if that is your goal of course). I mean SdC has many very good connections with Porto, OK through Vigo, but you'll be there faster and could spend more time there. What about that and flying back from Porto?

Anyway - Ultreia!

PS (Have you seen this link posted by Charrito recently:
http://www.independentrip.com/caminos-de-santiago
or directly for Invierno for short stages:
http://www.independentrip.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-de-invierno/etapa-1-ponferrada-santalla)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh my goodness, @KinkyOne , these links are wonderful! Thanks so much!!

I'm considering the Portuguese slightly over the Invierno at this time, because I think it will be better considering my level of fitness this time. The Invierno seems a better idea for my next Camino. I've seen the postings by @towanda1961, @peregrina2000, and @KinkyOne , of course - it looks WONDERFUL! And if there are a few more people on it next year, that might be a bit more comfortable for me, as well. BUT - who knows how I'll feel when I arrive in Sahagun. :rolleyes:

Although I haven't walked it yet I think Portugues will be much more pleasant weatherwise this time of year. Anyway Invierno will be there for years waiting for you ;)

Buen Camino (de Madrid)!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back