• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Santiago to Bilbao

pennyinyk

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (April 2017)
Hoping someone might have advice as I'm getting nowhere online....I have to go to England after my camino, and have a flight booked to Bristol from Bilbao May 11 late afternoon. I can't seem to find an easy way to get from Santiago to Bilbao that doesn't involve leaving Santiago on the 10th, or paying a fortune for a flight there. Any advice? Much appreciated.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Renfe train from Santiago to Bilbao. Its an all day evolution.

You could try going train via Madrid but there won't be much if any time savings.

Else fly from Santiago to Madrid and Madrid to Bilbao.

There are flights from Santiago to London.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola pennyink, whariwharangi gives great advice as always, plus Turkish Airlines now flies direct from Santiago to Bilbao. But perhaps that was one of the expensive flights you found?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks like Turkish Airlines stopped flying out of Santiago as of June 2016. Bummer! The other flights to Bilbao need to go through Madrid or Barcelona, hardly worth it if there's already a train from Santiago to Bilbao.

Hope you find something that works for you. Buen Camino!

Hate to state the obvious but Santiago-Bilbao is the same distance as the Camino, i.e. around 800km. There's no way you'll make that distance leaving on the day of the 11th for an afternoon flight on the 11th - that is, unless you fly.

Why are you so against leaving on the 10th? Why not break your journey up into two legs, maybe spend the night somewhere along the north coast? Maybe even in an albergue on the del Norte, if you're pressed for cash?

Santiago to Santander by train took us all day . 08.30 departure we changed trains in Palencia at lunchtime and arrived Santander around 18.30.

You could night stop there as others have suggested. It's a really nice place, rail station and bus stations are right in the town as is the ferry port.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ALSA have a night bus leaving 6.00pm on the 10th arriving Bilbao on the 11th at 5.15am, you can buy tickets online.
Duncan

ALSA have a night bus leaving 6.00pm on the 10th arriving Bilbao on the 11th at 5.15am, you can buy tickets online.
Duncan

Hi Duncan, that bus has 22 stops! Nightmares come in all sorts and sizes and this would certainly be one of mine :p

There is a direct flight from Vigo to Bilbao in the morning, but then Penny would have to travel there the day before. Price around €100 if I am not mistaken. Cheapest option is the day bus, the day before. I think I'd prefer the train.

If you are a senior buy a senior rail card and benefit from 40% discount on Mon to Thu train travel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back