• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Santiago to Lisbon

Shane Joseph

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2017
Does anyone have any tips on how to get from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon? Flights are too lengthy and expensive and I'm not sure trains go all the way. (Do they?) I have a full day to travel so the bus may be an option. Any advice would be much appreciated. (Shane Joseph).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ALSA run one bus per day direct from Santiago to Lisboa Oriente. Currently leaves at 12:00 and arrives at 20:45. Today's price is 53 euro.
www.alsa.es
There is a daily bus (Internorte) from Santiago to Oporto, taking 3,15 hours and then you can take a train from Oporto to Lisbon. The bus ticket costs €33.0.

I have taken the bus from Santiago to Lisbon on two occasions and would go to great lengths to avoid it in the future. Taking the train, even with the changes, would be preferable, IMO. The bus takes the highway route, not surprisingly, but that is not the most attractive swath of Portuguese countryside. Both times I was on it, it made a long (45 min ?) stop at a highway rest stop that seemed interminable. And another thing, remember that Portugal is an hour behind Spain, so what may look like an 8 h 45 min ride (12 pm to 8:45 pm) is actually 9 h 45 min.

I know that there are many on the forum who love bus travel, and for them my words are heretical. ;)

Does anyone have any tips on how to get from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon? Flights are too lengthy and expensive and I'm not sure trains go all the way. (Do they?) I have a full day to travel so the bus may be an option. Any advice would be much appreciated. (Shane Joseph).
Hi
I Have traveled this route many times and would think train is best option and is not expensive
Regards
tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Renfe train from Santiago to Vigo Guixar.

Renfe train from Vigo to Valenca

CP Celta train from Vigo to Porto Campanha

CP train from Valenca or Porto to Lisboa. Oriente is closest to Lisboa Airport.

Monbus from Santiago to Vigo.

Autna bus from Vigo to Porto.

Rede Expressos and Renex operate buses from Porto to Lisboa.

Note there is no central bus station in Porto.

Autna and Renex both have a stop at OPorto Campo Mártires da Patria 37.

ALSA operates bus service from Santiago to Lisboa Oriente

There are flights from A Coruna to Lisboa.

Note there is one hour time difference between Portugal and Spain.

I have taken the bus from Santiago to Lisbon on two occasions and would go to great lengths to avoid it in the future. Taking the train, even with the changes, would be preferable, IMO. The bus takes the highway route, not surprisingly, but that is not the most attractive swath of Portuguese countryside. Both times I was on it, it made a long (45 min ?) stop at a highway rest stop that seemed interminable. And another thing, remember that Portugal is an hour behind Spain, so what may look like an 8 h 45 min ride (12 pm to 8:45 pm) is actually 9 h 45 min.

I know that there are many on the forum who love bus travel, and for them my words are heretical. ;)
Hola Laurie - it looks like we had the same bus driver - that stop (at what I recall as a major truck stop) - in Portugal(?) was about a 1 on the 1 to 10 scale. I only took the bus because the RENFE web site was not cooperating and the booking/info office at SDC Station was closed. The train from Porto to Lisboa was a significant improvement. (About 2 or 2.5 hours I think). Cheers

I believe European regulations says that solo bus drivers should make 1-hour rest stops for every 4 hours on the road. It doesn't matter if the stop has a restaurant or just toilets - or just shrubbery.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think that's right, Carlos, in fact I think there are devices on the bus that record the distances, time, and speed driven by each driver. What some bus companies do is switch drivers when the time is up, which is much better for the riders but probably more of a hassle for the bus company.

I believe European regulations says that solo bus drivers should make 1-hour rest stops for every 4 hours on the road. It doesn't matter if the stop has a restaurant or just toilets - or just shrubbery.
I have never heard of it but the following regulation, instead: The 8 hours are consecutive hours, so they include driving and all other time (including any breaks that are less than 30 minutes). The rules say you have to stop driving CMVs once you reach 8 consecutive hours past the end of your last break of at least 30 consecutive minutes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back