• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Getting from Santiago to Lisbon

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
For my Camino this coming Sept/Oct I will be flying to and from Lisbon. That leaves me with the question: when I am done my Camino and looking to get back to Lisbon pretty quickly, what's the best way? And how far in advance can I expect to have to book it? Hoping someone on the forum might have some experience and advice. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The best way in my opinion is to fly.
You may have to go through Madrid... not sure... and if you know when you'll finish, I'd book my flight as early as possible to get good prices.

I was hoping to avoid having to set a finish date before I started. When I last did my CF, it worked very well giving ourselves lots of time in Europe, knowing that we could take as long as we needed and spend any extra time sightseeing in Spain. This time I also hoped to give myself a few days leeway, figuring I could spend the extra days in Lisbon before flying back to Toronto. Ideally would be a form of transit I can book a day or two in advance. Less ideal but workable is one I can book a week or ten days in advance. But anything that I need to book months in advance throws that idea out of the window.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Take a look at rome2rio.com. It looks like you can get from Santiago to Lisbon by a combo of train & bus or just the bus. I know you can also bus to Porto from Santiago and take the train from there to Lisbon.

Hi David,
You can easily get a train up to La Coruña, and from there TAP Portugal does flights from LCG to LIS. We've flown it twice, and it's a tiny 20-seater plane with a cute snack box on each seat and an open view to the cockpit and the front window. You *may* be able to book it one or two days in advance, but you may want to start checking the availability about a week in advance just to make sure.

Buen Camino!
Faith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can either fly direct out of A Coruna (but you have to either taxi or find a way to get there) or take extra time and fly from Santiago to Madrid and then Lisbon. A Coruna was $69 and Santiago was $90. I flew a couple of times out of A Coruna with no problems. Short 40 minute flight to Lisbon

You can either fly direct out of A Coruna (but you have to either taxi or find a way to get there) or take extra time and fly from Santiago to Madrid and then Lisbon. A Coruna was $69 and Santiago was $90. I flew a couple of times out of A Coruna with no problems. Short 40 minute flight to Lisbon

How far in advance did you book the flights from A Coruna?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think it's actually a 1 hour 40 minute flight from La Coruña to Lisbon, but with the time difference you land 40 minutes after you departed from Coruña, clock-wise.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took the bus from Santiago to Lisbon. I bought the ticket at the Pilgrim's Office bus venue. The trip is an all day affair. The bus stops for an hour in Porto. Many people got off and, I later learned, then took the much faster train to Lisbon.

For my Camino this coming Sept/Oct I will be flying to and from Lisbon. That leaves me with the question: when I am done my Camino and looking to get back to Lisbon pretty quickly, what's the best way? And how far in advance can I expect to have to book it? Hoping someone on the forum might have some experience and advice. Thanks!
I took a bus from Santiago to Porto, stayed a couple of nights, then train to Lisbon. Booked in advance, but by someone else, so not sure of how far in advance to book.

I got the bus from Santiago to Lisbon, indeed an all day affair but easy. My bus left at around eight/eight thirty AM from the main bus depot and I booked the ticket the day before. This was mid March this year after my la Plata jaunt.

Good luck

Ed

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last October, we took the bus from Santiago to Braga and spent a couple of days there. Our hotel was very close to the train station so we then took the train to Lisbon.
Last October we took the bus from Santiago to Braga. We spent a couple of days exploring in Braga and stayed in the Basic Braga hotel which was 5 minutes from the train station and then took the train to Lisbon. It was very easy and relaxing.

Last October we took the bus from Santiago to Braga. We spent a couple of days exploring in Braga and stayed in the Basic Braga hotel which was 5 minutes from the train station and then took the train to Lisbon. It was very easy and relaxing.

This is a great idea. I wish I had thought of this option. As the saying goes, "Coimbra studies, Braga prays, Lisbon parties…and Porto works." I only experienced 3 of the 4.

Back