• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from SdC back to Lisbon

Steve Stamps

Time of past OR future Camino
Is it just me being a dumb American or is it difficult to get back to Lisbon? Rome to Rio shows various options, but schedules for renfe or airlines don't seem to match-up.
Any information from your past experiences would be appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are various options as you have probably noted. Fly SdC to Lisbon (via Madrid) ; if you want to travel direct and without experiencing the joys of airport security train to Vigo, change rail stations, train to Lisbon via Porto; or ALSA bus. Nothing in much under 6 hours, the bus takes nearly 11.

Your intended date of travel might help - public holidays can play havoc with schedules and ticket availability - another factor is that airlines and rail companies have no incentive for providing integrated schedules.

Happy planning

Try www.Rome2Rio.com for a handy comparison of transport types/time traveled/costs plus web links re traveling from SdC to Lisbon.

Happy research, Buen camino and Bom caminho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are various options as you have probably noted. Fly SdC to Lisbon (via Madrid) ; if you want to travel direct and without experiencing the joys of airport security train to Vigo, change rail stations, train to Lisbon via Porto; or ALSA bus. Nothing in much under 6 hours, the bus takes nearly 11.

Your intended date of travel might help - public holidays can play havoc with schedules and ticket availability - another factor is that airlines and rail companies have no incentive for providing integrated schedules.

Happy planning
As you say, there is NO co-0rdination between bus/airline/train. So I guess i am going to spend a day enjoying much of the scenery that I will have walked through from the window of an ALSA bus. Not the quickest way, but probably the easiest, just watch, nap and enjoy.

We've gone up to La Coruña before and then taken a TAP Portugal flight from La Coruña (LCG) to Lisbon. It's a tiny plane, just 20 people on board, but it's just a 1.5-hour flight.

From Santiago there are several trains to La Coruña daily, for a price of about 6,50€. The train ride takes 30 - 45 minutes.

Hope you find something that works out!
Faith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Several options

One

Monbus from Santiago to Vigo.

Autna bus from Vigo to Porto

Rede Expressos or Renex from Porto to Lisboa.

Note there is no central bus station in Porto; you have to figure out the Autna stop that coordinates with the Rede Expressos or Renex stop.

Two

Renfe train from Santiago to Vigo. Note Vigo has two stations. Yours is Guixar.

Renfe train from Vigo to Valenca.

CP train from Valenca to Lisboa via Porto

Three

CP/Renfe Celta train from Vigo to Porto.

CP train from Porto to Lisboa.

Four

ALSA operates buses from Santiago to Lisboa. Frequency of service varies throughout the year. Check less than 30 days in advance for consolidated schedule.

Five

Tram in Porto connects airport to Campanha train station. This makes Autna bus from Vigo to Porto Airport and CP train from Porto to Lisboa a viable option.

My pick:

Si yo fuera tu, take Renfe train from Santiago to Vigo. Take CP/Renfe Celta train from Vigo to Porto. CP train from Porto to Lisboa. Main issue is frequency of service of Celta train is twice daily.

Lisboa Oriente is closest station to Airport. Lisboa Metro connects Airport to stations Oriente Santa Apolonia, and bus station Rio Sete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was leaving SdC on a weekday via train (early mornings) - changed the train in Vigo. and off to Porto (where i spend another night) - and then, from Porto Campanha station, down straight to Lisboa, 2hrs or so on those speedy trains.
Good idea to book ahead/reserve a seat on those fast trains.
Was very easy.
best wishes - C

Thanks for all of the inputs, after all this info & further searches, found a flight from A Coruna to Lisbon on TAP (White Airlines) for about 60 USD. for some reason it wasn't showing up earlier. Leaves about 1100 so that should be easily doable with train from SdC. Again, thanks for the input. Wonderful source of information here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I recommend taking the train from Santiago to La Coruna. Catch the airpirt bus outside the train station and fly from La Coruna (LCG).

Is it just me being a dumb American or is it difficult to get back to Lisbon? Rome to Rio shows various options, but schedules for renfe or airlines don't seem to match-up.
Any information from your past experiences would be appreciated.
2 1/2 years ago, we took the train from Santiago to Porto for a couple of days, and then to Lisbon for days before we flew out.

2 1/2 years ago, we took the train from Santiago to Porto for a couple of days, and then to Lisbon for days before we flew out.
In 2014 I caught a bus from Santiago to Lisbon luxury bus with stop over in Porto for lunch took about 7 hours in total. Booked the bus when I was in Santiago, fairly cheap from memory.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back