• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting .gpx file onto Goggle Earth on an iPad

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés and routes in Andalucia
Hi,
Can anyone help me figure out how to get a gpx file onto Google Earth on on my iPad mini? I successfully used Base Camp to get the file onto Google Earth on my computer, but I have no idea how to get the file onto Google Earth on the iPad which is going with me to Spain.

Thank you for all the wonderful information I have gleaned from this forum. What a treasure to have stumbled upon!
Elaine

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Google earth may claim to read .gpx files, but they don't work very well. Convert it to a .kmz file using gps visualizer.

Thanks, Newfydog. Once I have the .kmz file on my computer, how do I get it from the computer to the iPad? Since there is no "desktop" on the iPad, how do I send a file to the iPad's Google Earth (as opposed to the computer's Google Earth)?
Elaine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd like to say email it to yourself and open it but that would be too logical.

it is a horrible process:

Go to google maps. If you don't have an account for "my Maps" make one. Click the tool icon(cog like thingy), go to "create maps" and click "create in classic" I can't make it work in the new version.
upload the .kmz file and save the custom map with the track

Now, when you go to Google earth on the ipad, click "layers"
, At bottom of the layers list click "my maps". Sign in.
The track will be there.

As I said, google earth is my favorite program on the desktop and a bit evil on the ipad, but I was able to beat next year's trip .kmz onto it in about 10 minutes with the help of some profanity. Send me a PM of where you are if you don't get through it.

newf

Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your reply. I used it to start the process, but ended up going a slightly different route which worked perfectly!

Here's my method:

1. On your computer, convert .gpx file to .kmz file using GPS Visualizer [gpsvisualizer.com].
2. After receiving .kmz file from GPS Visualizer, save it to desktop.
3. Email it to yourself as an attachment.
4. Open email on your iPad.
5. Touch-hold on the attachment and choose Open in Google Earth from popup.
6. Tracks show up in Google Earth on the iPad.

Thanks again for getting me going on this - and to all who contribute to this forum. I've gotten a lot of information that will help us on our walk.
Elaine

oh good....that method bombed on mine, but I updated the app and now the email files open. Thanks for getting it to go.

If you can get through the more arduous route you'll have it in google maps as well, and have it stored in your maps, but the email is much easier.

Have you loaded motionX GPS? That is the favorite navigation app for many of us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.