• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting home from Santiago de Compostela

PEI_Heather

Canadian Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - Voie de la Nive
2012, 2016 - Frances
2013 - Portuguese
2012, 2013 - Finesterre & Muxia
I haven't yet started my Camino; I leave for Europe in less than a month (start my walk on 9 Oct)! Because I am taking a course outside of London after I finish, I will need to get back that way for 17-18 November--lots of time to do my walk (I hope)! Knowing I have a date with a classroom afterwards, I have started to think about how I will get back to London from Santiago. What is the best way to return to London but at the same time being able to visit a few places along the way?

What I would like to do is to go to Paris to try to meet up with a friend. After that, I guess I can take the train from Paris to Belgium (to meet another friend) then travel over to London.

I've found an airline ticket for 55E from Santiago to Paris (Orly); it overnights in Barcelona. It would be lovely to take advantage and visit Barcelona, but the flight leaves at 10:15 pm and arrives in Barcelona at 11:15. Then it leaves in the morning to arrive at my time of choice into Paris.

Taking the train is my preferred method of transportation but it seems like it's not the easiest way; I'm not having a lot of luck navigating the Spanish rail or the Eurorail websites. And from the information I am able to get, it looks like I would be on the train for a full day without even leaving Spain. I don't know if that is on the high-speed rail or not!

I am figuring that my departure day from Santiago will be 14 November. That gives me three days of travel and some fast visiting/looking around time. If the travel takes up lots of time, I may have to postpone catching up with the friends (which would be a shame, since I will be so close)!

Getting out of Santiago seems a wee bit more difficult than getting into it!

Any advice, suggestions and stories of your experience in leaving Santiago after you have completed your Camino would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My group walked the Camino Frances in July and finished in Santiago on the 10th of August. We had a flight booked from Madrid to London for August 13 and then the flight from London to Vancouver the next day. What we were unable to do was book the train from Santiago to Madrid on the Renfe website from Canada or in Spain, either because we were incompetent or needed a Spanish address or? What we ended up doing was going to a travel agent in Santiago and having the "tren hotel" booked for us which travels at night to Madrid, arriving in the morning. The cheaper way of doing this however might have been to go to the train station in Santiago a few days earlier than the day we left and buying a ticket from there. The train station is small and is not overwhelming. The train arrives around eight in the morning and leaves around 10:30 in the evening. I believe there is also a overnight train to Paris from Madrid but am not sure about this. We also thought later that another way to have booked the train might have been on a rest day in Leon, Burgos or any other city at a travel agents. Hope this helps,

Kelly

There is a RENFE train which goes from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye which is the French border everyday. This leaves Santiago about 9 am and arrives at the border about 9 pm. In Hendaye you can get a night sleeper train to Paris which leaves about 11 pm. arriving at Paris Austerlitz about 8 am the next morning. If you prefer you could stay the night in a small hotel near the Hendaye station and then take the fast TGV train in the morning to Paris Montparnasse. Whenever you wish to leave from Paris to London take the Eurostar TGV train from the Gare de Nord.

All these trains NEED reservations. After many of my Caminos I have traveled on the RENFE to Hendaye and the connecting night train to Paris. Both were easily booked directly at the rr station when I arrived in Santiago. As long as you are NOT traveling at a peak time such as a holiday you should have no trouble booking these trains two or three days before you wish to travel.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not sure if my experience is right for all. After my Le Puy-Pamplona Camino, I elected to check out just two towns which lay on the track back to Paris: San Sebastian and Bordeaux. It broke the trip, and both towns turned out to be good choices.

After my second Camino, Pamplona-Santiago-Valenca-Santiago-Fisterra, I just took a bus from Fisterra to Santiago and got on a train to Segovia, which was right on the track back to Madrid. Easy! I can certainly recommend Segovia, by the way. If Pontevedra is my fave Spanish city, I found Segovia the loveliest (so far).

Using some sight-seeing to break a long trip is a way of adding to the interest while reducing the fatigue. I even insist on stopping in Singapore en route to and from Oz. (Plus, I have a thing about chicken-rice.)

Anyway, Heather, a great experience is in front of you

Rob

Thank you everyone; most helpful! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back