• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting in shape for the Camino

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
After my then 12 yr old daughter's near death cardiac arrest in May 2021, I stopped worrying about myself entirely. My stress was through the roof that summer and along with that I stopped watching my diet and exercising. She is a fighter and with medicine and some lifestyle changes, she can live a long life just as we all can. But my habits weren't looking good for me. I weighed myself on December 31st, 2021 and realized I was 25 pounds higher than I ever been. I was 287. I thought I was out of shape when I was 250 but this way beyond that. My blood sugar had gotten high and I was lethargic. I had still discussed going on my Camino in summer of 2022 but my wife sat me down one day and said "While I'm 100 percent supportive of you going, I need you to take better care of yourself. I don't think you can do the Camino until you take better care of yourself. We all need you."

It was a conversation I needed to get me back focusing on my health. So at the point in early January 2022, I changed my plan to walking the Camino Frances in Summer 2023. And I began changing my eating habits and exercising. As of today, I'm now 235. So 55 pounds down in about 11 months. I still have a ways to go but my blood sugar is now in the normal range again and I feel a lot better.
Now...to add climbing some mountains to my routine :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry to hear of your daughter’s illness and congratulations on getting a grip of yourself. Well done.

The major difference between most forms of physical activity and a long Camino is the number of sequential days walking. Taking the Frances as an example; any day is within the capability of someone reasonably active; but to repeat it for (in my case) 26+ days takes its toll.

That’s pretty hard to practice for specifically; but you can use your preparation to really fine-tune your choice of footwear and accustom yourself to carrying a moderate load.

Moderate your ambition for the first few days and let your body tell you when you can push the distance a little more.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry to hear of your daughter’s illness and congratulations on getting a grip of yourself. Well done.

The major difference between most forms of physical activity and a long Camino is the number of sequential days walking. Taking the Frances as an example; any day is within the capability of someone reasonably active; but to repeat it for (in my case) 26+ days takes its toll.

That’s pretty hard to practice for specifically; but you can use your preparation to really fine-tune your choice of footwear and accustom yourself to carrying a moderate load.

Moderate your ambition for the first few days and let your body tell you when you can push the distance a little more.
Thank you. We discovered she has a genetic heart condition called CPVT. She was running at school in a running event and collapsed. The school nurse saved her life with an AED. We also know now our youngest child, also has the same genetic condition.
As out of shape as I was, I have always been able to walk long distances. However I'm doing much better at it now. I am just going to implement more incline walking in the next month or so to get ready for Day 1 haha!

There are a few between Springer Mountain and Mount Katahdin. 😈

Congratulations on your weight loss. It must have been a tough time.
I never knew what PTSD felt like but I have a form of it since her near death. She'll have to deal with this the rest of her life but medicine can keep her healthy. However, I also know that I need to be here for her so getting healthy is my way of doing that!

As important as some conditioning is, it is much more important to know what your comfortable walking zone is. It differs from person to person. Some people can walk 30 k a day and not think about it. Others can only do 15 or even less. If you are more traditional you need to know how far you can walk if you have to skip a town due a stop being full. If you're less so, you need to know when you might have to think about taking a taxi. Other posts are right as well. You do get used to the Camino after a few days or a week. But, my bet is more Caminos have been cut short or impacted by trying to do more than you really should. It's not a race or a competition. Yes, it is difficult. But, it is meant to be savored and enjoyed. Self-flagellation went out with the middle ages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After having been on the Camino 5 times I would suggest just be smart about it. Start the first week slow and see how your body responds. No need to keep yourself to the stages in books. I took 4 days instead of 3 to get from St Jean Pied de port to Pamplona and am glad I did. As far as prep goes, just make sure you have tested your shoes plenty to prevent blisters (taping heels and toes always helped me too) and just walk several weeks prior very regularly 2 to 4 miles. I suck at going uphill lol and so for me going to the gym, starting 6 weeks prior to trip, to do some incline walking on treadmill is a good thing (Living in Florida without hills ) Have fun.

Thank you. We discovered she has a genetic heart condition called CPVT. She was running at school in a running event and collapsed. The school nurse saved her life with an AED. We also know now our youngest child, also has the same genetic condition.
As out of shape as I was, I have always been able to walk long distances. However I'm doing much better at it now. I am just going to implement more incline walking in the next month or so to get ready for Day 1 haha!
Yes, hill walking or even climbing up flights of stairs is a good training practice. I am lucky to live in an area that has quite a few opportunities to do this. Walking around a track in the park puts in the "steps", sure but those hills and inclines help practice the breathing techniques you will need. You can avoid panting which does not deliver much oxygen to muscles that need it by mindfully expelling as much air as you can so that the lungs can fill up properly - instead of just topping up. Helped me anyway. Do not underestimate the shock you lived. A bit of PTSD haunts many of us - I found so much relief just walking in the open countryside of the camino. Good luck to you and it will be a great example to your kids. Cheers

When I describe what walking a Camino is like to those that have never done one, or never done any long distance hiking, 'I say it is like doing a half marathon per day for a month straight.'

That said, the Camino isn't a 'death race.' How far you walk each day is entirely up to you. The amount of time you have is the only constraint. The stages in the guide books are suggestions, not requirements or performance indicators.

As others have suggested, start slow and work up your daily distances. Day one is the easiest day as nothing hurts yet, so there is a tendency sometimes to go on a tear which come day 2 or 3 you will regret.

Build in a number of rest days as well. Usually on my rest days I still walk, but do a short distance on those days just for a change of scenery.

Your current weight loss is admirable. In addition to daily walking, I would also suggest exercises that build up core strength as this is as important as fit legs. I would also strongly suggest getting some trekking poles. I personally find them invaluable. I use mine 100% of the time while walking. Properly used they really help reduce stress on your knees and help alot when ascending or decending hills.

As far as the amount of training required, personally I never stop. I am always training as Camino's aside, good personal fitness should be a life goal. I have logged 1450 kilometers of walking so far this year with none of that being on a Camino.

Anyway, good luck on your training and walk. Camino's are like Doritos though as you can't 'eat just one.' As you have seen on this forum, many members have walked a bunch of them.FB_IMG_1473647572077.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations on your weight loss so far and well done indeed for taking yourself in hand. Remember there is no official start point for any Camino. I had Covid in August and knew I wouldn't be able to get myself fit enough to cross the Pyrenees in September so I started in Logrono. Your Camino can be very flexible. Do listen to your body as you walk and be kind to yourself (whatever that means for you).
Buen Camino

As I’m in my 60s, I started my training with 6x/week cardio sessions that required me to get my heart rate up to 135 beats/minute and hold it there for 30 minutes. That’s what a trainer had recommended, and I used a treadmill and my local favorite hikes to focus on heart rate. I was astounded how my heart responded—135 bpm became harder and harder to hold, much less attain. My heart got stronger.

My training hikes were usually 5 miles of lots of uphill/downhill but a couple months before I tried some 12-mile hikes, and the month before I left, I always carried my backpack which was “fake packed” with 15-20 lbs of clothing. I also worked with a trainer on leg strength workouts and lost about 15 lbs, but I think your weight matters less than your heart and leg strength. I completed the Camino Frances last month. My heart is still in Spain…

Congrats on your weight loss and Buen Camino!

Congratulations to you (and your daughter). It would seem she is not the only fighter in the family.
Set your goals, approach them with intent, achieve them then bathe in the satisfaction of knowing you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to doing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You know... your wife is right, but that doesn't mean you can't do the Camino sooner rather than later. I know you are under medical care. Talk to your team and get their input as to whether or not a walk across Spain will be harmful to your health. They may advise you to set a few goals before you go - or they may surprise you and tell you to just do it. While planning - get out and walk - A LOT. As often as you can and for as long of distances as you can fit in with your regular schedule.

When I can - I take 2 hours out of my day to do an 8 mile walk. And then every Sunday as I prepare for departure - I get up early and I walk 21 miles to my husbands work and then he drives me home. Of course - I built up to that, I did a lot less mileage in the beginning. But just in 2019 I was overweight and tackling my health as you are. I took measures to get it under control and I planned to do a 2020 walk which of course got cancelled due to COVID. 2021 I had lost a lot of weight - but was still not "in shape". I went. I walked my pace and listened to my body. I took my time on the Pyrenees and stayed in Orisson to break up that first day. Good choice. I was definitely slower than almost everyone else... but I didn't stop for lots of breaks so timewise I still got to my next destination earlier than most (my choice). I liked slow but steady days of walking. Others like to walk faster and then take longer breakfast/lunch breaks.

Do what works for your body, and listen to your body. Don't carry extra weight. Only carry what you must have. Because that extra pack weight makes the weight on your body feel even heavier. Lots of walking when you can. And other workouts? Well - I will leave that to you and your medical team to determine what is best for you.

Anyhow - by the end of the Frances - I was in so much better shape than when I started! And when I hiked the Norte/Primitivo in 2022... it was a piece of cake. So - yes - eat healthy and get in better shape if you can before leaving... but as long as you listen to your body as you walk - you will most likely be just fine. I did see a few very heavy people walking and yes - they all did make it to Santiago (if that was their final destination - some picked shorter routes).

Anyhow - glad your daughter is doing better - and please - continue in your quest to get healthier for your wife and your daughter!

When I describe what walking a Camino is like to those that have never done one, or never done any long distance hiking, 'I say it is like doing a half marathon per day for a month straight.'

That said, the Camino isn't a 'death race.'
The only reason I wouldn't use the "half marathon" to describe the Camino is because that would sound like a death march to many. LOL Yes - mileage I definitely did between a half to full marathon daily - but it was at such a leisurely pace as opposed to a running/race.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You know... your wife is right, but that doesn't mean you can't do the Camino sooner rather than later. I know you are under medical care. Talk to your team and get their input as to whether or not a walk across Spain will be harmful to your health. They may advise you to set a few goals before you go - or they may surprise you and tell you to just do it. While planning - get out and walk - A LOT. As often as you can and for as long of distances as you can fit in with your regular schedule.

When I can - I take 2 hours out of my day to do an 8 mile walk. And then every Sunday as I prepare for departure - I get up early and I walk 21 miles to my husbands work and then he drives me home. Of course - I built up to that, I did a lot less mileage in the beginning. But just in 2019 I was overweight and tackling my health as you are. I took measures to get it under control and I planned to do a 2020 walk which of course got cancelled due to COVID. 2021 I had lost a lot of weight - but was still not "in shape". I went. I walked my pace and listened to my body. I took my time on the Pyrenees and stayed in Orisson to break up that first day. Good choice. I was definitely slower than almost everyone else... but I didn't stop for lots of breaks so timewise I still got to my next destination earlier than most (my choice). I liked slow but steady days of walking. Others like to walk faster and then take longer breakfast/lunch breaks.

Do what works for your body, and listen to your body. Don't carry extra weight. Only carry what you must have. Because that extra pack weight makes the weight on your body feel even heavier. Lots of walking when you can. And other workouts? Well - I will leave that to you and your medical team to determine what is best for you.

Anyhow - by the end of the Frances - I was in so much better shape than when I started! And when I hiked the Norte/Primitivo in 2022... it was a piece of cake. So - yes - eat healthy and get in better shape if you can before leaving... but as long as you listen to your body as you walk - you will most likely be just fine. I did see a few very heavy people walking and yes - they all did make it to Santiago (if that was their final destination - some picked shorter routes).

Anyhow - glad your daughter is doing better - and please - continue in your quest to get healthier for your wife and your daughter!
Oh I'm going this May 2023. She's fine with it. When we talked was January or so. I've gotten a clean bill of health for the most part! I'm just working on being in better shape! I'm most likely stopping in Orisson to ease into it also!

The only reason I wouldn't use the "half marathon" to describe the Camino is because that would sound like a death march to many. LOL Yes - mileage I definitely did between a half to full marathon daily - but it was at such a leisurely pace as opposed to a running/race.
Exactly. When you are running a half or full marathon you don't stop for breakfast, second breakfast, and lunch!

After my then 12 yr old daughter's near death cardiac arrest in May 2021, I stopped worrying about myself entirely. My stress was through the roof that summer and along with that I stopped watching my diet and exercising. She is a fighter and with medicine and some lifestyle changes, she can live a long life just as we all can. But my habits weren't looking good for me. I weighed myself on December 31st, 2021 and realized I was 25 pounds higher than I ever been. I was 287. I thought I was out of shape when I was 250 but this way beyond that. My blood sugar had gotten high and I was lethargic. I had still discussed going on my Camino in summer of 2022 but my wife sat me down one day and said "While I'm 100 percent supportive of you going, I need you to take better care of yourself. I don't think you can do the Camino until you take better care of yourself. We all need you."

It was a conversation I needed to get me back focusing on my health. So at the point in early January 2022, I changed my plan to walking the Camino Frances in Summer 2023. And I began changing my eating habits and exercising. As of today, I'm now 235. So 55 pounds down in about 11 months. I still have a ways to go but my blood sugar is now in the normal range again and I feel a lot better.
Now...to add climbing some mountains to my routine :)Hello,

I was sorry to hear about your daughter but delighted that she seems to be on the road to recovery and it’s perfectly understandable that you have ‘put on a bit of timber on’ as we say in some parts of the UK and well done for shifting it ( as we also say in some parts of the UK).

Everyone sees the challenge of a Camino differently from a physical standpoint which is understandable. I don’t agree with the ‘half marathon’ comparison, mainly because I can barely run 100 metres, probably bacause I never run, but I can walk long distances, it’s just something that is within me plus I tend to walk 20k steps a day albeit slowly, just in my normal life. I think if you are reasonably active in your everyday life you don’t need to train much though I have poor upper body strength so you may want to train for that, or do as I do, virtually carry nothing apart from a change of clothes and flips flops!

As stated we all have different and valid views on here. I sometimes think the physical aspect of it can be overdone ( I think there is an older demographic on here), …..before I did one, I wasn’t sure I could do it, but it was pleasantly fine, quite civilised really. Breakfast, walk, lunch/wine, walk, dinner/cold beer and wine, repeat. Others will think differently of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've not done this myself but I've seen many webpages saying that working out with weights can help you lose weight, especially if mixed in with cardio exercises.

Here's a quote:
Strength training builds muscle mass, and muscle burns more calories even while your body is at rest. So when you have more muscle, you burn more calories throughout the day, even when you’re at your desk, watching tv, or sleeping.

My quote came from the following webpage. The site is promoting its own program but you can Google "weight lifting" "weight loss" to find more information.

Could also be a male/female thing.
Yes - I definitely saw quite a few Americans (males especially) doing quite a bit of drinking... but they were usually with European Camino friends (males especially) who also partook in the wine/beer all throughout their walks. The women tended to drink more with and after dinner. Of course - plenty didn't drink alcohol too. I did once in a while - but not very often. I usually even had water with dinner. I saved my day of lots of wine for in Santiago, celebrating and saying goodbye to friends. .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh I'm going this May 2023. She's fine with it. When we talked was January or so. I've gotten a clean bill of health for the most part! I'm just working on being in better shape! I'm most likely stopping in Orisson to ease into it also!
Reserve Orisson now if you know what date you will be stopping! You have the option of spending the night in SJPDP and then walking to Orisson the next morning OR, if you arrive in SJPDP early enough in the day you can walk straight to Orisson. Most I think spend the night in SJPDP, which is what I did. SJPDP is a cute little town and work spending a few hours wandering. But next time - I will probably just go straight to Orisson. But for Orisson - you must arrive before dinner is served. When you reserve on their website during the winter season you get an auto-reply stating that your request has been received... and then you have to wait for the invoice. That invoice might not come for a few weeks (2-3 is pretty common). Once you get it - pay it - then you are good to go. Check spam folders!

And as for getting in shape - just keep walking at a minimum!

Reserve Orisson now if you know what date you will be stopping! You have the option of spending the night in SJPDP and then walking to Orisson the next morning OR, if you arrive in SJPDP early enough in the day you can walk straight to Orisson. Most I think spend the night in SJPDP, which is what I did. SJPDP is a cute little town and work spending a few hours wandering. But next time - I will probably just go straight to Orisson. But for Orisson - you must arrive before dinner is served. When you reserve on their website during the winter season you get an auto-reply stating that your request has been received... and then you have to wait for the invoice. That invoice might not come for a few weeks (2-3 is pretty common). Once you get it - pay it - then you are good to go. Check spam folders!

And as for getting in shape - just keep walking at a minimum!
You can’t reserve this early

Correct, but on their website it says that they will start taking reservations in December.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can’t reserve what this early? Orisson is closed, shut, unopen. But their website is still active and they are renowned for responding eventually during hibernation. Think Bear, and be gentle 😉

In general you can reserve whatever you want to whenever you want to. In practice it depends on the inclination of the individual business and their attitude to accepting a booking from so far in the future that maybe none of us will still be here by then. Of course if it’s fully cancellable on Berking.con no problem. The main reason no one can book a private room on any Camino is that I’ve already booked them 😮
I also have a table reserved at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. They have my credit card number but I’m not over exercised by the threat of their “no show” fee

Sincere congratulations on the weight loss, Sirron. It’s not easy, especially when the weight represents emotional as well as physical burdens. But you’re doing great. It’s wonderful that your wife is so supportive as well.

My husband and I have both struggled with our weight at times. It’ll probably always be a challenge. One thing that made an impression in Camino preps, years ago, was watching the old show “The Biggest Loser.” It has questionable weight-loss techniques, but the stories and individuals were often interesting. Contestants who had advanced to the final stages one season were challenged to hike, carrying packs loaded with exactly how much weight they’d lost to date. 50 pounds, 70 pounds, 100 pounds…. When they got to certain points in the hike, they were allowed to remove some weights from their packs. To a person, they couldn’t believe how much easier it became, how they felt like they could almost fly. Many cried when they realized they used to carry that weight around on the daily.

Personally, I feel that your weight loss alone will lead to such a healthier Camino experience already, including less pressure on your feet and joints – like your pack is already 55 pounds lighter! Very well done, peregrino. Ultreya.

I also have a table reserved at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. They have my credit card number but I’m not over exercised by the threat of their “no show” fee

They take credit cards now? Goes on my wish list, along with drinks at Bea Arthur’s Cantina on Tatooine.

You can’t reserve what this early? Orisson is closed, shut, unopen. But their website is still active and they are renowned for responding eventually during hibernation. Think Bear, and be gentle 😉

In general you can reserve whatever you want to whenever you want to. In practice it depends on the inclination of the individual business and their attitude to accepting a booking from so far in the future that maybe none of us will still be here by then. Of course if it’s fully cancellable on Berking.con no problem. The main reason no one can book a private room on any Camino is that I’ve already booked them 😮
I also have a table reserved at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. They have my credit card number but I’m not over exercised by the threat of their “no show” fe

1) because when I contacted them they told me to contact back in December. So I did "think". Thanks though ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Very touching when tragedy turns into positivity and I am pleased that your daughter is now on road to recovery and for you to be ready for the Frances . I jumped into the deep end in March when I set out from SJPDP without no training yet despite a swollen calf muscle I had a lovely experience , at first it is hard but the pilgrims you come across are lovely from all walks of life with one common goal to find themselves you sure will have a lovely time God bless you and your family

Way to go.....Congratulations!!!!!

Totally agree with doing it over 26 days! I just finished the Camino Frances and it was awesome but the feet and body do feel it the first week 😂😂

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sirron~! What a story you've told us -- I think your Camino has started already! I'm happy to hear your daughter is doing better, and I commend you on your weight loss. I must say that you're lucky to have such a wonderful wife to focus you on what matters the most. Everyone here has focused on building up your walking and your hill-walking will certainly benefit you long-term. I just want to add *with your bag* -- that additional weight placed back on your ankles and feet when your body isn't used to it can change your Camino on Day 1 if your body responds negatively (she says with experience... cough, cough). Indeed, my Camino was abandoned this year because I thought I could 'get fit' whilst on the Camino. Well, I was not in good enough shape to have that strategy, and my feet and ankles disagreed with my methodology. Your routine sounds great, you will be fine -- keep it up! Just consider adding some days carrying your pack to your training schedule to see how your body (back, hips, knees, calves, ankles, feet) responds to the changes in posture and weight distribution. It's better to face those surprises at home whilst in training. Buen Camino~!!

Walking and hiking in the mountains are certainly good ways to get fit for a camino, and they are necessary to test your footwear and other equipment. However, hitting the gym is a much, much more efficient way to get in shape than just walking. Many of us don’t have time to walk for several hours, plus possibly driving to a trail head, every day or even more than once a week. However, probably most of us can fit in an at-home 15 minute strength workout 2-3 times a week. Combine that with a walking/hiking routine, and you’ll be ready.

(Sirron, I realize that with your impressive weight loss, you probably alreading are doing some of this, but the following is meant for you or anyone who comes along with the same question.)

Strength training (weight lifting is a somewhat outmoded term) can target the specific areas that you need the most, and using your own body weight is all that’s needed for something like the camino. If you already have them and want to incorporate some light weight dumbbells, all the better.

For your legs, do squats, lunges, step ups/step downs, and calf raises. That’ll give you power on the hills. For your core, do planks, push ups, hip bridges, and supermans. That’s all that’s necessary, but if you know what you’re doing or can get some instruction (so you don’t hurt your back), do some good mornings and flies. Pull-ups are good, too, if you have a suitable way to do them. A strong core will help with carrying your pack and general endurance.

A stair machine is excellent preparation for hills, both for leg strength and cardio, and also very efficient time-wise.

Good luck and bien camino!

Walking and hiking in the mountains are certainly good ways to get fit for a camino, and they are necessary to test your footwear and other equipment. However, hitting the gym is a much, much more efficient way to get in shape than just walking. Many of us don’t have time to walk for several hours, plus possibly driving to a trail head, every day or even more than once a week. However, probably most of us can fit in an at-home 15 minute strength workout 2-3 times a week. Combine that with a walking/hiking routine, and you’ll be ready.

(Sirron, I realize that with your impressive weight loss, you probably alreading are doing some of this, but the following is meant for you or anyone who comes along with the same question.)

Strength training (weight lifting is a somewhat outmoded term) can target the specific areas that you need the most, and using your own body weight is all that’s needed for something like the camino. If you already have them and want to incorporate some light weight dumbbells, all the better.

For your legs, do squats, lunges, step ups/step downs, and calf raises. That’ll give you power on the hills. For your core, do planks, push ups, hip bridges, and supermans. That’s all that’s necessary, but if you know what you’re doing or can get some instruction (so you don’t hurt your back), do some good mornings and flies. Pull-ups are good, too, if you have a suitable way to do them. A strong core will help with carrying your pack and general endurance.

A stair machine is excellent preparation for hills, both for leg strength and cardio, and also very efficient time-wise.

Good luck and bien camino!
I hit the gym as I can! I'm fighting off some tendonitis in my arm at the moment so focusing on everything but the arms haha. Legs are doing well. Honestly I've always had strong legs and even when not in the best shap could still do okay. I'm looking forward to further improvements though thank you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I dropped about 30 pounds in the year before my Camino. The way I looked at it, I lost more than my pack weight. I’m glad I did. It clearly lessened the pounding my legs and feet took. You are on a good trajectory. Buen Camino.

I always reserve this early (November) for May/June. If they aren't accepting reservations yet - they will be soon. But again - after you send in your reservation request - it can take 2-3 weeks for them to send you the invoice (during their closed season).

I always reserve this early (November) for May/June. If they aren't accepting reservations yet - they will be soon. But again - after you send in your reservation request - it can take 2-3 weeks for them to send you the invoice (during their closed season).
I will email again but I swore that is what I was told last month!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will email again but I swore that is what I was told last month!
I didn't do it by email - I just completed the online form - which they respond to probably in first come first serve order - but again - it takes a couple weeks (and then of course those responses are by email). So maybe I filled out the online form in early November and paid the invoice in late November/early December? Who knows. Not sure if I still have the emails from them or not to look.

But I do know I filled out the online form in November for late May 2020, late May 2021 (both of which had to be cancelled sadly due to COVID). Then in June 2021 I called them the morning I started (because Spain literally had just reopened to vaccinated tourists so only a few of us returned to the Camino - so they had last minute space for that reason). Then again for Late May 2022 ( but that Camino I ended up cancelling in advance to do a different route).

Anyhow - if you are already in communication with them - that is all that matters! I am sure if you book anytime between now and the start of 2023 - you shouldn't have a problem getting your desired reservation dates. Just don't wait TOO long as they do fill up pretty fast.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.