• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting into Paris from CDG?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'll be spending 3 nights in Paris near Gare Montparnasse before taking the train to SJPDP. What's the best way to get into the city from the airport? I think that I read about a bus, but can't remember where I found the information.

Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be spending 3 nights in Paris near Gare Montparnasse before taking the train to SJPDP. What's the best way to get into the city from the airport? I think that I read about a bus, but can't remember where I found the information.

Thanks
Here you are.
Bon voyage!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Trecile, I am curious if there a reason that you know of that the bus might be preferable to taking the train? I was thinking of taking the train 10.30 RER B to Montparnasse and I think it takes about 50 minutes. I am also going from CDG to Montparnasse in June and I have been meaning to look into this.

Trecile, I am curious if there a reason that you know of that the bus might be preferable to taking the train? I was thinking of taking the train 10.30 RER B to Montparnasse and I think it takes about 50 minutes. I am also going from CDG to Montparnasse in June and I have been meaning to look into this.
I really don't know anything. 😂
I'm just relying on the knowledge of the other members here. If the train is better then that's what I'd like to take. @mspath - what say you?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really don't know anything. 😂
I'm just relying on the knowledge of the other members here. If the train is better then that's what I'd like to take. @mspath - what say you?
By bus you can see the cityscape; with the train besides the hassle of a change much of the journey is underground.

I've never taken the bus so can't compare. I've always taken the train to St Michel Notre Dame metro station and walked to Montparnasse. It gets rid of some cobwebs and is a nice walk.

mspath's advice looks excellent.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I might look at the train next time.

Last Year it was a total 'bun fight' trying to get onto the Bus.
Utter confusion and we waited ages out in the cold.
Big crowd of people trying to jump on. Took us 3 buses before we got a place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve taken the bus twice. Easy to find on both ends, cheaper if you get a return ticket rather than two one-ways. Boarding was orderly (if you have a ticket for a specific time you board first-then it can be a free-for-all like Robo said).

The only problem I’ve encountered is Paris traffic. What used to be a pretty easy trip can now take 90 minutes on the roads.

If time is of the essence, the train will be on time. If you want convenience and don’t care about the journey taking longer but you’re enjoying seeing the landscape or want a nap, take the bus. I go for convenience as I don’t want to have to stay so alert against thieves after I’ve just gotten off a plane.

Thanks
For me a bus will be less confusing after a long flight then the train/metro plus you can see the sites. This is my plan to take the bus from CDG to the Eiffel Tower then walk to the Hostel.

You're getting close to go time? Very exciting. Buen Camino!
:cool:👣

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve taken the bus twice. Easy to find on both ends, cheaper if you get a return ticket rather than two one-ways. Boarding was orderly (if you have a ticket for a specific time you board first-then it can be a free-for-all like Robo said).

The only problem I’ve encountered is Paris traffic. What used to be a pretty easy trip can now take 90 minutes on the roads.

If time is of the essence, the train will be on time. If you want convenience and don’t care about the journey taking longer but you’re enjoying seeing the landscape or want a nap, take the bus. I go for convenience as I don’t want to have to stay so alert against thieves after I’ve just gotten off a plane.

We had a ticket for a specific time i think.
Bought from the machine at the bus station.
Or is there another way?

I think part of the problem, was the buses had no numbers, and everyone surged forward as each bus arrived. 3 years ago it was much more orderly.

For me a bus will be less confusing after a long flight then the train/metro plus you can see the sites. This is my plan to take the bus from CDG to the Eiffel Tower then walk to the Hostel.

You're getting close to go time? Very exciting. Buen Camino!
:cool:👣
I don't know the details of all the bus routes. I am only commenting on the bus from CDG to Montparnasse, it is the only bus I have taken other than the one to Orly.
Robo, I have purchased my ticket from the driver on the bus from CDG to Montparnasse at the airport.

We’ve been renting a flat in Paris for some weeks now and have made a few round trips to Charles de Gaulle airport to pick up/drop off friends and family who are visiting. I highly recommend taking the train. You catch the RER B Line right at the terminal and then make one transfer to the Metro (subway) #4 to get to Montparnasse. The Metro lines run every few minutes, so making your transfer is easy. You buy your RER ticket right at the airport at one of the kiosks. Taking the train you bypass any traffic. If you get the RATP app, which is free, it will show you timetables. I’ve included a screen shot from that app for your itinerary. 56489

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will painfully add clarification. “Painfully” because my wife told me something along the lines of “I am never doing this again...” as we tried to navigate the train option.

The bus is simple. If you don’t fly in from North America or Oz or NZ, it may be a shorter walk to where you board. My many arrivals from Montreal
require a bit of a hike to get to the
CDG train station where you find both trains for continuing to Paris (the RER lines) and for heading to Lyon, Bordeaux, etc. So there is a forest of ticketing machines visible as you descend onto the station floor. There is also a helpful (yes, really helpful information desk). However...
  • The info desk may have a very long line.
  • Some/many of the ticket machines may not be working (like the day my wife mildly erupted).
  • Finding the right machine and figuring out how to use it will probably require the help of a passerby.
  • Any transfer from the RER to the Metro involves a lot of hiking because multiple lines converge at these stations (Correspondances). Do not, as I did, try to drag a piece of luggage on one of these transfer points. A backpack is fine but vigilance is required due to occasional bands of pickpockets.
As usual, the cheapest method involves some hassle. In this case, the cheapest method is also the fastest, at least to the RER stop.

I would also recommend, if you choose the RER option, to bring a paper Google map showing the route from your RER station to your hotel.

I love Paris and hope you have a wonderful time there (no matter how you get into town).

Tom
From near CEE, Spain

Last edited:
Hello, as a Parisian, let me help you.
Basically you have 3 possibilities:
1/ RER B + métro. The fastest and probably the cheapest. However the line to get a ticket at Terminal 2 may be very long...Early in the morning it may be absolutely packed. And transferring with luggage’s at peak time can also be a nightmare...
2/ The Ouibus May be a good alternative but I don’t know it.
3/ Air France has specific buses between CDG and Gare de Lyon, for those going south, and Gare Montparnasse for the western side of the country. You don’t have to have flown with AF. Every 30 minutes and the journey to Montparnasse can be over one hour. For more details google Air France cdg Montparnasse.
Hope this helps. I am on the Camino de Madrid and it is a wonderful one.
Buen Caminos to all
Bernard

I will painfully add clarification. “Painfully” because my wife told me something along the lines of “I am never doing this again...” as we tried to navigate the train option.
Excellent comment, @TMcA. Those of us who are used to taking the RER from CdG and then changing to a metro line have forgotten how confusing and time consuming it was the first time when we did this and when we didn't know much if anything about how it all worked and where to turn and whether, for example, the Porte de Clignancourt (one of the end stations of one of the metro lines) was east, north, south or west. 🙂

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After a transatlantic flight and subsequent jet lag, I think that I'll go with the easy bus option. :)
My flight arrives at 9:25 in the morning, so I have plenty of time to get to my hotel.

Air France has specific buses between CDG and [...] Gare Montparnasse [...]. You don’t have to have flown with AF. Every 30 minutes and the journey to Montparnasse can be over one hour. For more details google Air France cdg Montparnasse.
That's what I would have said, too. But I remember having read that Air France no longer operates these bus connections. It's now called Bus Direct. And surprisingly, when you look up the OuiBus timetables for say Paris - Aéroport Roissy CDG T2 E/F > Paris - Gare Montparnasse they say: "This route is operated by LE BUS DIRECT".

I hope this makes things clearer and not more confusing 😊.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's what I would have said, too. But I remember having read that Air France no longer operates these bus connections. It's now called Bus Direct. And surprisingly, when you look up the OuiBus timetables for say Paris - Aéroport Roissy CDG T2 E/F > Paris - Gare Montparnasse they say: "This route is operated by LE BUS DIRECT".

Hopes this makes things clearer and not more confusing 😊.
Yes, I had already found that I need to look for Le Bus Direct. Thanks

Hi! I have made the journey from CDG by RER B, changing at Gare du Nord, then the Metro to Montparnasse. I am unsure if that is the route that has been mentioned, but if it is I can say that it is a 10-15 minute walk from the Metro platform at Montparnasse to the train station at Montparnasse. One section involves a stairway. I have always been travellng without baggage. The bus, I have no experience of but do know that it drops passengers at the side entrance to the train station at Montparnasse.

@trecile, have you booked your bus ticket? I am having trouble with their website. Have you? I can't seem to figure out how to choose a one way option and then even if I pick a 'fake' return date I keep getting the message that the bus does not go this route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@trecile, have you booked your bus ticket? I am having trouble with their website. Have you? I can't seem to figure out how to choose a one way option and then even if I pick a 'fake' return date I keep getting the message that the bus does not go this route.
or the message is that "no journeys are available" Maybe mid June is too far in advance?

I don't know the details of all the bus routes. I am only commenting on the bus from CDG to Montparnasse, it is the only bus I have taken other than the one to Orly.
Robo, I have purchased my ticket from the driver on the bus from CDG to Montparnasse at the airport.

When did you last use the Bus Don?
It was like that in 2015. (when it was the Air France Bus)
Last year we couldn't even get onto the bus without a ticket.
There was a guy at the bus door turning people away or telling them this was the wrong bus.
It was all rather chaotic.

or the message is that "no journeys are available" Maybe mid June is too far in advance?
I haven't bought the bus ticket yet, because there was a notice that my route may be closed because of demonstrations today - I don't want to buy a ticket and find out the same thing is happening next week.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I haven't bought the bus ticket yet, because there was a notice that my route may be closed because of demonstrations today - I don't want to buy a ticket and find out the same thing is happening next week.
Were you able to take a look at the times, price etc. or navigate the site better than I seem to be able to :) or are you just going to wait?

Were you able to take a look at the times, price etc. or navigate the site better than I seem to be able to :) or are you just going to wait?

Yes, there is a bus leaving CDG every 30 minutes.
It looks pretty easy to purchase a ticket. I will probably do it on my phone when I arrive.
You choose the route - don't worry that it says Gare Montpaparnasse - CDG Airport. You can see that after you select it, there are arrows going both ways, signifying that the ticket that you purchase if good for travel in either direction.

le bus.jpg

https://www.lebusdirect.com/en/lines-and-schedules.html

I think there are rallies in Paris and elsewhere in France on the 1st of May of every year ... 😉. Most of them peacefully but sadly there's often a small group of trouble makers.

PS: Next week is of course the 8th of May holiday in France ...

Last edited:

€83,-
Yes, there is a bus leaving CDG every 30 minutes.
It looks pretty easy to purchase a ticket. I will probably do it on my phone when I arrive.
You choose the route - don't worry that it says Gare Montpaparnasse - CDG Airport. You can see that after you select it, there are arrows going both ways, signifying that the ticket that you purchase if good for travel in either direction.

View attachment 56508

https://www.lebusdirect.com/en/lines-and-schedules.html
Oh! Thanks so much! I was actually looking at a different site (ouibus) This one is much more straightforward. My friend who visits Paris often suggested the train, but I am now thinking I will take the bus. I am very grateful that you started this discussion :)

"Je parle francais" reasonably well, and I have been many times in Paris. And I love trains.
Having said that, navigating the system from CDG to Montparnasse is quite challenging. It has its logic, but you need to know it. The unavoidably transfer to Metro is complicated, especially in the rush hours : a maze of corridors, lots of hurried people, and you are stressed after a long travel, migration, etc.
So, if you have the time, I recommend to choose the bus.
If you are time pressed, your budget is an issue, or want to travel as Parisians do, go to the train.
Two advices, for this case: remember to keep your ticket, because you will need to transfer, and there are inspectors, and fines.
The second comes from experience. Some metro stations (as Denfert Rocherau) have tricky door turnstiles. They open just a second to permit a person go, then close with an audible "thud", to prevent the entry of cheaters. If possible, look for a luggage roller slot, or the point where a station agent can open a gate, so you can go with your backpack. If this is not the case, keep your backpack in front of you, not behind. Otherwise, you risk being trapped, with your backpack in the other side of the ¡"#:(! door turnstile. This makes later for a very good anecdote, but at the moment is not so fun...I discovered later that "Denfert" came from the place where it is, formerly called "the barrier of hell". And rightly so, in my opinion.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure where you are staying "near Gare Montparnasse" but I thought my hotel was "near" there (it is, sort of at 2 miles away..OOPS! lol!) but I will be staying at Hotel Du Mont Blanc which had been recommended on the forum for its location for site seeing and it is actually a 2 minute walk from the Saint-Michel Notre Dame stop. I just talked to my coworker who regularly visits Paris and he highly recommends the train, for me, anyway. The RER B goes direct (no transfers and runs regularly) from the airport, 41 minutes to the Saint-Michel Notre Dame stop. He said that signs for "trains to the city" are clear and helpful in the airport. Thanks again for starting this thread to prompt me to get another planning piece sorted.

Not sure where you are staying "near Gare Montparnasse" but I thought my hotel was "near" there (it is, sort of at 2 miles away..OOPS! lol!)
I'm staying at 9Hotel Montparnasse, which according to Google maps, is a 12 minute walk from Gare Montparnasse.

J
Not sure where you are staying "near Gare Montparnasse" but I thought my hotel was "near" there (it is, sort of at 2 miles away..OOPS! lol!) but I will be staying at Hotel Du Mont Blanc which had been recommended on the forum for its location for site seeing and it is actually a 2 minute walk from the Saint-Michel Notre Dame stop. I just talked to my coworker who regularly visits Paris and he highly recommends the train, for me, anyway. The RER B goes direct (no transfers and runs regularly) from the airport, 41 minutes to the Saint-Michel Notre Dame stop. He said that signs for "trains to the city" are clear and helpful in the airport. Thanks again for starting this thread to prompt me to get another planning piece sorted.

Just watch the signs at the train platform that you don't get on a train terminating at Gare du Nord.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, some really great information here.
Just a question, nobody mentioned a taxi or Uber ?
We are two people traveling into Paris
Seems that two bus tickets are equal to an UberX into the city ??
Less stress and maybe even our own “tour guide”
Any opinion on this option?
Any specific platform we can be collected by Uber ?

Then, of course, there's always the cheapest, slowest, "scenic" route... City bus #351 to Nation. It winds through the east side of Paris eventually ending up at Nation. From there you can catch the Metro line #6 (Direction: Charles de Gaulle Etoile) to Montparnasse. Around 80 minutes + 3 metro tickets (or 6 Euros). Definitely not the typical tourist route... an adventure in itself.

Rome2rio quotes taxis between 80 and 95USD and Uber at 50 to 65USD. I have never tried Uber in Paris.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€46,-
Hello Trecile
Like @BShea above I have taken the city bus from CDG into Paris where I got off at Gare du Nord then it is a lovely walk of 45 mins to an hour to Montparnasse. And once, because I was in no rush I walked from Montparnasse to my hotel which was about two kms. from CDG and that took about four hours including coffee and snack stops.
Paris really is a lovely city to walk through.
buen camino

Attachments

• IMG_8692.JPG
    IMG_8692.JPG
    500.4 KB · Views: 3

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back