A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Getting Money

Del Falkowsky

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese [August 2015]
I am leaving for Portugal in one week and I am wondering if anyone has used Canadian debit cards and if they had problems like finding a machine that takes the card. I am also taking a credit card but it would be easier to use a debit if possible.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese.
I can't help with specific Canada specific information but we have no trouble with Australian debit cards. I take a travel money card preloaded with Euros because that way I can lock in the exchange rate, but I've also used an ordinary debit card linked to my bank account. The only time I had a problem was when I had a 6 digit pin - the Spanish machines only take a 4 digit number. It was fine once I went online and changed it.

A

Anemone del Camino

I am leaving for Portugal in one week and I am wondering if anyone has used Canadian debit cards and if they had problems like finding a machine that takes the card. I am also taking a credit card but it would be easier to use a debit if possible.
You'll be fine... In general. In a few occasions an ATM will not accept my card, I just move on to,the next one. Has happened in Santiago and a few other places, so don't leave it to,your last Euro before getting more cash out.

Kip

Camino(s) past & future
CP, Porto-Santiago, Finesterre, 2015.
VDLP, April-June, 2017
A tip--
A tip-- I walked only from Porto onwards. Very rural areas and not many ATM's along the way, so make sure you have enough euros for several days between the larger cities.

Monique S.

Wandering .....
Camino(s) past & future
European Peace Walk 2015
SJPP-SdC or Lisboa-SdC 2018
..... wondering if anyone has used Canadian debit cards and if they had problems like finding a machine that takes the card. I am also taking a credit card but it would be easier to use a debit if possible.
Should be fine - be sure you have a 4 digit pin and be sure your pin does not start with a 'zero'. Check with your bank regarding charges ... RBC charges me $5 each time I use the debit card overseas. Needless to say, I carry it only for emergencies ..... !

If you have access to secure wifi while overseas, a trick I used in 2012 was to transfer funds online from my regular account to my credit card (same institution) and then went into a bank in Portugal and took a cash advance. No charges and no interest on the cash advance because the card was in a credit balance.

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015) Scotland GGW (2017) Primitivo
I can't help with specific Canada specific information but we have no trouble with Australian debit cards. I take a travel money card preloaded with Euros because that way I can lock in the exchange rate, but I've also used an ordinary debit card linked to my bank account. The only time I had a problem was when I had a 6 digit pin - the Spanish machines only take a 4 digit number. It was fine once I went online and changed it.
Kanga how do you go about getting a travel money card already loaded with Euros? I just picked up some Euros that I had ordered from my (Canadian), but the travel card sounds useful, especially for the exchange rate….thanks.

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi Maggie, our banks offer travel money cards. I'd assume your own bank would have a link to one. I just did a search and found this which might be useful!
http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/air/travelling-money
Hi Kanga, just pulled this up and have save the info in a doc. Will take it with me to my bank. Even though I'll be travelling with some Euros, great to have something like this. Thanks so much.

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Should be fine - be sure you have a 4 digit pin and be sure your pin does not start with a 'zero'. Check with your bank regarding charges ... RBC charges me $5 each time I use the debit card overseas. Needless to say, I carry it only for emergencies ..... !

If you have access to secure wifi while overseas, a trick I used in 2012 was to transfer funds online from my regular account to my credit card (same institution) and then went into a bank in Portugal and took a cash advance. No charges and no interest on the cash advance because the card was in a credit balance.
Monique that sounds like a good idea. I guess I could also put funds into my credit card before I leave…..thanks.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%