• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting motivated to return.

lynne marie

Time of past OR future Camino
I made it all the way to Spain to start my pilgrimage on August 17th of last year. I spent an extra day at the airport in Madrid, as flight on Iberia Air was overbooked. Before I caught my flight the next day, my daughter called to tell me that my nephew had died suddenly, and I returned that day to Canada. This is the first time that I have checked out the forum since returning home. I feel as though I want to return and start over, and have lost some of the passion that I experienced before events of last August. Any words of wisdom/advice?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I feel you need to return. So many things get in the way or prevent us from finally doing the Camino. Is there ever a "right" time? Are we ever truly ready? Probably not. Not until we get there and then we are ready and the time becomes right. I think the Camino is more than ever ready for you and will hold you as you heal. I cannot speak of walking a Camino (I will do my first this April) but I can speak to the power of walking long distances and the profound way in which it changes you and heals those spaces in your heart you think can never be healed. You are being called. Trust in that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@lynne marie, I am sorry for your loss. The Camino calls, or it doesn't. If you are still intrigued by its call; if you still feel a need to walk an ancient route to a shrine that is proclaimed as the tomb of an Apostle to the Christ; if you still want to experience the incredible linear city, that Unesco World Heritage site, that is the camino Frances; if you would like to spend some time in quiet contemplation in assured good company; if you would like to test yourself in a long demanding hike; if you have any good reason to walk Camino then go, and walk.

There are times when life, normal, ordinary, indifferent life does things to our hopes and aspirations and plans that no amount of desire, passion or aspiration can overcome. Many walk Camino with broken hearts, stepping out of broken lives, carrying huge burdens of sadness and loss. That is one of the reasons that Camino is there when we need it.
The Camino doesn't change. It will always be there and when it is time for you to walk it you will walk it.

You may not have the same passion - your life is now tinged with a new grief. But do you still have some passion for a camino, a lingering curiosity? If so, you might still want to satisfy that.

The Camino - is many things to many people: a physical test; a mental test; spiritual enlightenment; inner contentment. Your first attempt ended in deep sadness even before it had really started so I can understand a perceived reluctance to return. Are you worried that something similar will happen if you start out again?
My recommendation "don't return until you really feel that call you had last August". Don't fret/worry, the Camino has been there for over a thousand years and will be there for another thousand years. Come when you ready.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry for your loss. I think it is quite understandable given your experience to be a bit hesitant to starting over! You never got the opportunity to "Taste and See" and experienced loss before you began! Your searching the forum now may be a sign that the call to walk is surfacing again! You will know when it is time!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back