• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting my son from Madrid airport to Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Heidi Cruise

Our son is flying from California to meet up with us on the Camino. I am trying to figure out a way for him to get from Madrid Airport to Santo Domingo de la Calzada on May 14th. I know there are buses but I can't figure out where they leave from. Some searches say they leave from the airport, others say Charmatrin and others say Avenida de las Americas. If anyone knows for sure can you let me know! Or if you have other suggestions of ways for him to meet up with us. We are getting pretty excited now. My husband and I start on May 6th from Saint Jean Pied du Port!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Heidi,
What time of day will your son arrive? Which terminal will he arrive in? I´m asking because there is a bus from T4 at 12:15 (Mon-Sat.), which winds up going back into Madrid to the Av. Américas station but he wouldn´t have to change. As you can see on the link provided above, there are other buses, but he would have to go into the city to catch them. If he arrives in any terminal other than T4, he will have to get a bus from that terminal to T4, but there are frequent intra-airport buses. Iberia and its partners (One World) all arrive in T4; anyone else arrives in T1,2, or 3.

If the 12:15 bus won´t work and he has to go into the city, I would definitely recommend the Avda. Américas station over the Estación Sur station (which is far from the airport). There is a municipal bus, 200, which stops at all airport terminals and will drop him off at the Avda. Américas station. Some information here:
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/A...554326802/City-Buses.html?other=1237554327072

Hope you have a wonderful camino, Laurie

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In the event the PLM Autocares or Samar schedules won't work due to limited service try:

ALSA provides bus service from Avenida de America to Burgos. Some of the buses stop at Madrid Airport T4 enroute.
http://www.alsa.es/en

Autobuses Jiminez provides bus service from Burgos to Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
http://autobusesjimenez.com/

The best way from Madrid Barajas Airport to Avenida de America is the Metro. It departs from T4 and from T1-T2-T3 every few minutes. The Metro station is co-located with Intercambiador de Avenida de America.
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/

The best way from Madrid Barajas Airport to Estacion Sur is the Metro. Estacion de Autobuses de Madrid Sur is co-located with Metro Station Mendez Alvaro.
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for such helpful information. It would be so lovely if in life you could just post a question, and the next thing you know people have reached out to you and given you the answer! :)

Hi, Heidi,
What time of day will your son arrive? Which terminal will he arrive in? I´m asking because there is a bus from T4 at 12:15 (Mon-Sat.), which winds up going back into Madrid to the Av. Américas station but he wouldn´t have to change. As you can see on the link provided above, there are other buses, but he would have to go into the city to catch them. If he arrives in any terminal other than T4, he will have to get a bus from that terminal to T4, but there are frequent intra-airport buses. Iberia and its partners (One World) all arrive in T4; anyone else arrives in T1,2, or 3.

If the 12:15 bus won´t work and he has to go into the city, I would definitely recommend the Avda. Américas station over the Estación Sur station (which is far from the airport). There is a municipal bus, 200, which stops at all airport terminals and will drop him off at the Avda. Américas station. Some information here:
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/A...554326802/City-Buses.html?other=1237554327072

Hope you have a wonderful camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie - he gets into terminal 2 at 7am so can make his way over to terminal 4 to catch a bus, is the bus that goes back into Av. Americas station listed as something else I couldn't find it? Is it possible to send me a link for it? many thanks!

Hi Laurie - he gets into terminal 2 at 7am so can make his way over to terminal 4 to catch a bus, is the bus that goes back into Av. Americas station listed as something else I couldn't find it? Is it possible to send me a link for it? many thanks!

There is a shuttle service between terminals.

The City bus (EMT) route #200 goes from the airport to Avenida de America as per the Aena link provided by Laurie.

Madrid Barajas Airport official website. Look through it carefully and most of your questions will be answered.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/Home.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi, Heidi, I'm not sure which bus you are asking about, but I'll try to answer your question (and am happy to try to answer again if I am not clear here!).

The link provided by ColinPeter shows that there is a 12:15 bus from the airport T4.
http://plmautocares.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Nuevos_Horarios_2014.jpg

Do you see it right at the top of the Madrid - Logrono - Pamplona schedule? To get that bus, your son would just have to get to T4 on the intra-airport bus and then have a long wait.

But there is also a 9 and an 11 am bus from Av. America -- he probably wouldn't make the 9 am, but you never know, but he should definitely make the 11 am one. (And if he were going on a Friday, there is also a non-stop 10 am bus he would probably also make). To get to the Av. America bus station, the easiest way is to just take the city Bus 200 from any Barajas terminal and it goes right there. He won't have to transfer to another terminal or anything like that, just find the bus stop at T2 and get right on the bus going to Av. America.

My advice would be that he should see what time he actually arrives and then make a decision whether to go to T4 and wait for the 12:15 bus or get on the 200 city of Madrid bus and go into the Av. America station, where he can get on the first bus leaving. It is also worth noting that the 12:15 bus from T4 is actually the 1 pm bus from Av. America, which means that that bus just starts at the airport and then drives back into Madrid to the station and then proceeds north.

I've taken the 200 bus and it is very easy and painless. Much easier than the metro would be to get to Av. America.

Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back