• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting nervous

johnnyman

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2011 and 2013
OK, I leave for Spain a week from tomorrow, and I think I'm starting to get nervous. It seems to be a subtle thing, but I think a little fear and doubt is creeping in, making me kinda cranky. Any thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nervousness is very typical. You will find it quickly becoming exhilaration!

I am afraid that we hit the exhiliration point as we reached the airport. Nervousness only crept in on a few bad etapes (albergues, etc.), which only confirmed how great the rest of the pilgrimage was.

Except, perhaps, for language barriers there are no real problems other than physical ones and weather. Everyone else seems to be going the same way you are haeding, and authomatically an interesting acquaintance and colleage.

We envy you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Johnnyman! I'm leaving just a few days behind you. Last night, I misplaced my "to do list" (packed with a million little outstanding things required to organize my family in my absence.), and it literally brought me to tears. I felt overwhelmingly nervous and stressed, which is generally contrary to my nature. I vowed that I would no longer think about the Camino, search the forum, etc. Perhaps it was the release I needed, because this morning I woke up calm, and with renewed excitement for the trip. I'm hoping this peace lasts until I leave :)

Johnnyman/cmeckley:

A little apprehension of the unknown is perfectly normal. I just walked this Spring from SJPdP to Santiago. I will offer you two pieces of advice. Pack light and start slowly, the Camino will take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings from Leon!

Breathe, just breathe, you´ll do fine! I did :shock: ! The pack is just part of me now. Things sort of fall into their places, it falls on my back and my feet move forward. Sleep and repeat. If I can, you can, promise!

Wishing you well from the road, Karin

@johnnyman
theres a thread on this site about "fear"
many pages list the fears of many pilgrims
i still have to read anything about any of those fears having happened
so im sure you have prepared as well as you can
so if shi7e does happen
youve trained
and lowered the odds
after that, its karma

I'm leaving in 10 days.. I'm starting to get really nervous too :) But in a good way though.. Blisters and that kind of things I can't do anything about.. so I'm just trying to take care of everything that I can prepare..
I just can't wait, soon soon I will be on the camino :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dont worry, its quite normal. Once you get started and into the rhythm of the Camino, you will be on your journey of a life-time.

Hi I will be starting the camino early August with my son. I am only doing part of the way possibly he is going the full way. Getting excited about it just want to make sure i have all i need.
Woody

woody said:
Getting excited about it just want to make sure i have all i need.
Woody

Yep.
You'll have anything you'll need.
And if you don't, it's fore sale over there.
And if it isn't for sale over there, they don't need it, and so won't you.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
woody said:
... just want to make sure i have all i need.
Woody

Be careful! These are dangerous words. :D Weigh every single item. Start with the weight of your empty pack and get that down as low as possible. Believe every word on this forum that says "do not bring anything you 'might need'". Dutchpilgrim's words are very wise.

And, to respond to the original post: I have two journals -- the one I actually took with me and the one I wrote in the days right before I left. That thin journal has pages and pages of "What do I think I am doing??!!" "How can I think that I am a pilgrim?" "What makes a person a pilgrim??" etc. etc. etc. The postcards I wrote in Pamplona while I waited to catch the bus to Roncesvalles were filled with the same doubts. By then I was already regretting that my pack was too full (even though I had weighed and considered each item) -- those were whiny little postcards.

Just begin.
Nancy

Getting excited about it just want to make sure i have all i need.
Woody

Woody.. do yourself a favor and just take the minimum of 'things'
Otherwise, and I PROMISE YOU, you will be either dumping gear (therefore $$$) in free boxes or shipping them home at great expense.

Spain is not a third world country.
Go LIGHT.
There is nothing you need you can not buy there.

You will live simply and easily out of a small pack weighing 10% of your body weight.

You might want to post your packing list and get some feedback from those of us who have walked?

Buen Camino!
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We leave this Thursday, June 9. I feel the same way. The fear hits me in waves. I love this forum because I can read about others who feel the same as I do and also, read reassuring words to alleviate the anxiety, thanks for the posts.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back