• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting off the trail between Sarria and Portomarín

Kim M

Kim–Salmon Arm, BC, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
I am starting my pilgrimage alone from Roncesvalles in a few days but my wife will join me October 15 at Sarria for the last stretch. After that point we will not be staying in Albergues and going a little more upscale. She is a bit worried about her capacity to walk 24 km her first day and there does not appear to be any places to stay on that route other than Albergues. I see there are numerous hamlets that we walk through. My question is that if she tires out and wants to take a bus or other transportation to Portomarin, will it be relatively easy to do so? What alternatives are there?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, actually, Kim, there are places to stay in between Sarria and Portomarin. In fact, one of my very favorite places on that last stretch is there, the Casa Morgade. It's probably about halfway between the two towns and is a very welcoming place. I was there in 2000 or 2001 when it was just opening and it has morphed into a combo hotel/albergue/restaurant/cafe. But what hasn't changed is the friendliness and caring of the family running the operation. Highly recommended.

http://www.casamorgade.com

buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am starting my pilgrimage alone from Roncesvalles in a few days but my wife will join me October 15 at Sarria for the last stretch. After that point we will not be staying in Albergues and going a little more upscale. She is a bit worried about her capacity to walk 24 km her first day and there does not appear to be any places to stay on that route other than Albergues. I see there are numerous hamlets that we walk through. My question is that if she tires out and wants to take a bus or other transportation to Portomarin, will it be relatively easy to do so? What alternatives are there?

Hi Kim

When I was volunteering twice this year. both times some of the Mochila (rucksack transport vans)were allowing a pilgrim to travel with them, I saw this several times and noticed the pilgrim was either too tired or injured in some way....in these instances the albergue was a private one in Villfrance de bierzo I seen this and the pilgrim waited till around 11 am that morning.....unaware of the fee they charge. I saw this a few times . only a solo pilgrim..

just thought I would mentioned it, so it's another option to hand.. the times I seen this the pilgrims in question asked the albergue owner prior, to arrange this whilst the person was collecting rucksacks.it seems these days anything is possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. We will wait to see what unfolds for us on the Camino.
Buen Camino.

If your wife doesn't carry a pack, then 24km will be a lot easier. If she is just walking the last 100km, don't bother buying a big backpack, just get a small daypack to carry water, food, socks, and raingear, use a bag transport service for her regular luggage, from Sarria to Santiago is €3 per day, so if she can complete the walk in under six days, the total transport cost will be €18 or less.

Kim, I'm starting from Sarria to Santiago starting the route on September 30 - I used a travel agency that made arrangements for small hotels between Sarria and Santiago for the whole route I'm walking. Email me at leaholeary@aol.com and I'll send you the itinerary and list of hotels along the route that they lined up for me - they made reservations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Concello Portomarin provides following about buses from Portomarin to Sarria.
http://www.concellodeportomarin.es/concello/autobuses.php

You would have to contact Empresa Portomarin to find if there are any stops on their route between the towns. Given that much of the camino is off the C-535 highway I would consider it unlikely that it would be of any service to you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.