A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Getting Pilgrim Credential starting in Bilbao

NomadBoomer

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (September 2017), Vdlp (April 2018)
I'll be starting the Norte June 9 2020 in Bilbao. I fly into Bilbao evening of the 8th so probably book a room somewhere central? I read that the municipal alburge is the only place to get a credential but it is quite far from the city centre. Does anyone know if this is accurate?
I presume that the alburge is very close to the way. Do you think it would be wise to wait and pick up the credential in the morning on the way out of the city? I live in Australia but will be visiting my family in England prior to the walk. Would it be better to get one sent there?
Thanks for any advice
Cheers Paul

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
I found one at the Cathedral on the other side of the river one time.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
You can get a credential from Ivar - something like 2 €. Go to the shop and order one. I think they are even called “official”. The only “problem” I found with them: they do not have marked places for the stamps. So I pencilled them in myself....

I see at the top of this page in the blue line next to Forum you have “Camino passport”

Last edited:

aidan macdhorcaidh

Camino(s) past & future
camino frances (2017)
I'll be starting the Norte June 9 2020 in Bilbao. I fly into Bilbao evening of the 8th so probably book a room somewhere central? I read that the municipal alburge is the only place to get a credential but it is quite far from the city centre. Does anyone know if this is accurate?
I presume that the alburge is very close to the way. Do you think it would be wise to wait and pick up the credential in the morning on the way out of the city? I live in Australia but will be visiting my family in England prior to the walk. Would it be better to get one sent there?
Thanks for any advice
Cheers Paul
Get them posted before you go. Little to do items can be burdensome on arrival in a town you do not know. Amcg

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi Nomad. As you have plenty of time, maybe just order one here from the forum and start stamping from the moment you get to Bilbao :)

WayneG

Beginning life
Camino(s) past & future
Oct. 17 - Frances.
Sept.18 - Portugese.
Apr 2019 - del Norte.
2020 - Planning Via Francesco.
Get one before you go would be my advice. If you buy a guide on-line you often get one freely included.
Enjoy the del Norte, It is wonderful. Be sure to see the Guggenheim facade at dawn.
Buen Camino

Pilgy

Camino(s) past & future
C. Francés April 06, C. Fisterre May 06, C. Frances Oct 17, C. Portuguese Oct 18, C. Inglese Nov 18

Bert45

Camino(s) past & future
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
I would not get the credencial before you go. I would buy one in Bilbao. Bilbao is on the Camino del Norte and I am 99.9% sure that you will be able to buy one in the cathedral there, or in the albergue (note spelling).. But do take a plastic bag with a seal to put it in, to protect it from the weather and wear and tear as you will be getting it out of your pocket/ bumbag/ rucksack at least once a day. You may be given one with the credencial, but I can't guarantee it. I was given a plastic pouch when I bought mine in Bayonne cathedral in 2018.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 378 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock