• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting ready for a virtual walk on the Camino de Madrid

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
As we enter another planning season (i.e. the fall and winter), maybe it is time to walk the Camino de Madrid together, and develop a detailed planning thread.

I am getting some information organized, and propose to start a new thread next week - whoever wants to join us can walk day by day and offer/receive advice on the walk and the facilities available. I hope that experienced walkers as well as those who are thinking about this route will join. This will be similar to other "virtual planning threads" that we've had on the forum for the VDLP, Levante, and others.

I will start by mentioning some good sources of information for the overall route. I have the 2017 guide from the UK Confraternity of Saint James by Angelika Schneider and Johnnie Walker, and have just ordered the 2019-2020 version. I will be comparing kml files on maps.me and google earth, for reference as we walk:
I'm a little uncertain what the dates of these files are, so if you know of more up-to-date tracks, please let me know.

We might even add in the Camino Mendocin0 at the start, if there is interest.

After we have finished, the moderators will tidy up the thread to remove some of the off-topic banter (which is fun while we walk, however) so that the thread will be a good reference thread in the future.

Who wants to join this collection of virtual pilgrims?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
me me me me me. I love these planning threads.

For those who use wikiloc for their GPS tracks, Ray y Rosa (who have a pilgrim ”cabin” on their property outside Manzanares, details later) have posted one long track for the Madrid. But they are from 2009, so changes may have been made.

For a recent Camino de Madrid set of tracks on wikiloc, this user, daniarkansas, has a set from 2020. I will paste them in here.

The tracks are great. Lots of pictures attached as waymarks, and they are beautiful photos. This is one of the many wikiloc advantages — you can look at someone’s tracks and the photos are embedded in the tracks.

@C clearly, do whatever you want with this info.

Madrid - Colmenar https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-madrid-etapa-1-madrid-colmenar-viejo-56478879

Colmenar - Cercedilla. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-madrid-etapa-2-colmenar-viejo-cercedilla-56480672

Cercedilla - Segovia https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-madrid-etapa-3-cercedilla-segovia-56490568

Segovia - Santa María la Real. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...segovia-santa-maria-la-real-de-nieva-56501243

Santa María - Coca. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...-5-santa-maria-la-real-de-nieva-coca-56506966

Coca - Alcazarén. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-madrid-etapa-6-coca-alcazaren-56850997

Alcazarén- Puente Duero https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-madrid-etapa-7-alcazaren-puente-duero-56861303

Puente Duero - Peñaflor de Hornija. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...a-8-puente-duero-penaflor-de-hornija-56865604

Peñaflor - Medina de Rioseco. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...enaflor-de-hornija-medina-de-rioseco-56989932

Medina de Rioseco - Villalón de Campos. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...medina-de-rioseco-villalon-de-campos-56858131

Vilallón - Sahagún https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-de-madrid-etapa-11-villalon-de-campos-sahagun-56844970

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For those who use wikiloc for their GPS tracks, Ray y Rosa (who have a pilgrim ”cabin” on their property outside Manzanares, details later) have posted one long track for the Madrid.
Their albergue cabin is amazing and highly recommended! They also provide tips and great conversation and food! And they're on the forum too @rayyrosa.

I'm in with both feet!
You might lose one of them along the way due to mudcaking!

No mountains (well, just that one day to Segovia), very little Romanesque, but I’m glad to see you are willing to consider it. It is a wonderful camino.
I'd say there's more than very little Romanesque? If nothing else, there are some Romanesque churches in Segovia, the cloister at Santa Maria la Real de Nieva (though that might be transitioning to Gothic?) and the Romanesque-Mudéjar church at Santervás de Campos and several in similar style in Sahagún.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'd say there's more than very little Romanesque? If nothing else, there are some Romanesque churches in Segovia, the cloister at Santa Maria la Real de Nieva (though that might be transitioning to Gothic?) and the Romanesque-Mudéjar church at Santervás de Campos and several in similar style in Sahagún.
Right as always — There’s the one in Alcazarén too, which I also forgot. The octagonal church outside SEgovia, Vera Cruz is reminiscent of Eunate, I think.

Have you ever been inside any of the romanesque churches in Segovia?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey guys, I´m new on the forum but I finished the Norte from Aviles - Muxia about 3 weeks ago and I started walking the Camino de Madrid on my 2 free days per week at the end of September. I´m a long-time resident of Madrid, local hiking guide and proficient in Spanish.
I actually wanted to start posting a guide+photo´s of my 4 days from Madrid to Segovia (haven´t gotten further so far), adding all the information that I feel is either lacking or plain wrong on the Gronze site. How about that? I didn´t encounter any pilgrims until just before Segovia so I may well have had the most recent experience

Btw, before proceeding towards Santiago from Segovia probably during my next holiday I want to walk the Camino Mendocino to Manzanares el Real during the next couple of weeks, so I could help adding there too. I already know an alternative route I´d like to recommend between Soto del Real and Manzanares el Real that will not only make the camino more enjoyable but also more exciting + I have some suggestions missing in Ray y Rosa´s otherwise excellent guide

Last edited:
I'm one who is also considering the Camino de Madrid on my next walk. So I'm interested in this virtual walk, so please sign me up. Unfortunately I'm moving in the next couple of weeks, so my time is limited, but I will do what I can. Thanks for this!

Hey guys, I´m new on the forum but I finished the Norte from Aviles - Muxia about 3 weeks ago and I started walking the Camino de Madrid on my 2 free days per week at the end of September. I´m a long-time resident of Madrid, local hiking guide and proficient in Spanish.
I actually wanted to start posting a guide+photo´s of my 4 days from Madrid to Segovia (haven´t gotten further so far), adding all the information that I feel is either lacking or plain wrong on the Gronze site. How about that? I didn´t encounter any pilgrims until just before Segovia so I may well have had the most recent experience

Btw, before proceeding towards Santiago from Segovia probably during my next holiday I want to walk the Camino Mendocino to Manzanares el Real during the next couple of weeks, so I could help adding there too. I already know an alternative route I´d like to recommend between Soto del Real and Manzanares el Real that will not only make the camino more enjoyable but also more exciting + I have some suggestions missing in Ray y Rosa´s otherwise excellent guide
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you'll be able to help us with this thread, and it will be great to get to know you! As I explained in the first post, I will announce a stage and then everyone can make their contributions and ask questions, on a stage by stage basis. Your information will be very helpful, especially to give us an idea of how Covid has affected the facilities along the route. We are very happy to have a contact there "on the ground.

For the Mendocino, I think I won't start with it in detail, but will mention where it joins the Camino de Madrid in Manzanares el Real. There are some good threads on it in the Camino Mendocino sub-forum. Maybe you can add your information in a new thread there.

In the meantime, I am trying to organize some resources on my desk, before launching the walk!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Who wants to join this collection of virtual pilgrims?
We're slow walkers, and we'll walk along, trying to catch up ☺️
We tend to prefer short stages, average of 15km, hopefully not exceeding 20km, so we'll add our suggestions.
However, don't let that stop you: you peregrin@s walk ahead, we'll get there ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Segovia.
Wamba.
A long meseta walk....
What more does one need?
:cool: 🙃

Actually this + SS & Primitivo has been on my radar for a while...
@VNwalking I think your Madrid, SS, Primitivo idea is a great combo ... and I say that even though the Salvador didn't capture us as much as it has many others - though we did love the 'middle three days' in the mountains. Madrid and Primitivo both among my favourite caminos - that said most of them are favourites!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I think your Madrid, SS, Primitivo idea is a great combo ... and I say that even though the Salvador didn't capture us as much as it has many others -
It just seems perfect~
First, it could not be easier logistically. Fly to Madrid and walk.
Second, the days on the Madrid allow a bit of time to get back into the rhythm of walking (and to build a bit of fitness) before tackling the SS/Primitivo.

I loved the Vasco/CF/Invierno combo, but this has the advantage of many fewer days on the Francés.

I had hoped to walk the Camino de Madrid this past summer but decided to do something in the US because of covid. I ended up bicycling the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal towpath instead, which I really enjoyed but was quite different from walking a Camino. I'm still looking to do the Madrid in the next couple of years, so I'll be following.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Count me in. Had planned to walk the Madrid route last April. Missing walking in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There's another option I was thinking about. CdM to Medina de Rioseco, then head west through Villalpando and Granja de Moreruelo to join the Via de la Plata, and then via Ourense to Santiago. Has anybody done that or thought about it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Has anybody done that or thought about it?.
Yes but not seriously and not that far up. My thought was that one could cross over between the Madrid and the Levante in either direction near Medina del Campo. If going from the M to the L, one could keep going to connect with the VdlP from there.

There's another option I was thinking about. CdM to Medina de Rioseco, then head west through Villalpando and Granja de Moreruelo to join the Via de la Plata, and then via Ourense to Santiago. Has anybody done that or thought about it?
There have been several threads over the years of people interested in making the cross-over, and I will search to see if I can find any reports on how it went.

A look at the FABULOUS IGN map (buy your own here) suggests that there are good places to do that. Look at the places where the purple and red lines get closest.

One as VN says is Olmedo on the Madrid to Medina del Campo, then on the Levante to Zamora and then the Sanabrés.

I met two Spanish pilgrims years ago who left the Madrid at Simancas and went to Tordesillas and then on to the Levante to Zamora.

I think I would take one of these two routes instead of the one you suggest. Not that there’s anything wrong with your idea, but you would miss Zamora. Zamora is one of my favorite small Spanish cities and I would make a bit of extra effort to get there!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
. My thought was that one could cross over between the Madrid and the Levante in either direction near Medina del Campo.
I once crossed over from the Madrid to the Levante between Santa Maria la Real de Nieva and Arévalo. Very easy, mostly on dirt next to a very minor road, although disappointed not to see quail in Codorniz. Further north might work well, especially as the way between Villalpanado etc and Benavente on the Sureste and Santa Marta de Tera on the Sanabrés is marked (or was when I walked that way in 2014)

One of the things we enjoyed about the CdM was what we called 'sandy pine forests' in the middle section of the camino, where the trail typically looks like this:

IMG_5944.jpg

A few days ago, this article was published on the BBC website about the tradition and future of the extraction of pine resin in these areas, which might be of interest: Spain's untapped 'liquid gold'

One of the things we enjoyed about the CdM was what we called 'sandy pine forests' in the middle section of the camino, where the trail typically looks like this:

View attachment 111529

A few days ago, this article was published on the BBC website about the tradition and future of the extraction of pine resin in these areas, which might be of interest: Spain's untapped 'liquid gold'
Ahh great memories. We loved the walks through the pine forests - and not just for the shade. The extraction method was so interesting. I’ll be sure to read the article. Thanks @jungleboy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fascinating article — did you see that there are three museums highlighting the resin extraction process? One is in Navas del Rey, not very far from Nava de la Asunción.

If resin really is a replacement for oil, the possibilities are endless. And another way to stem the tide of depopulation. I was surprised to see that the extraction is still totally manual. And it was good to read about a woman breaking into the ranks of “resin bleeder” despite the barriers! Those are my scattered reactions to this very interesting piece. Thanks, @jungleboy.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back