• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting Ready for the Camino in 2014

D2nmary

I am 53 years old and this will be my first Camino. As a woman going alone I have a lot of concerns. Reading all the posts on all subjects has helped ease my mind a bit. Thank you for all the information.I plan to start my Camino in April of 2014 just after my 55th birthday. I will be flying from LAX . I have been doing training walks and I can walk up to 17 miles a day without worries.My questions are: Should I pack just a a few things for the flight over and get the rest I need in St Jean? Can I purchase a walking stick once I arrive? I'm looking into getting a Aarn Backpack MM33 I am 125 lbs and 5'2'' is this a good choice? Should I be afraid to take this journey alone? ( because I kinda am) I would be grateful for any information you can give.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi!

It sounds like you're already well prepared! I'd suggest using the time you have before leaving to pick up any equipment you need whenever there's a sale on etc and make sure you're happy with it rather than buying when you arrive.

Walking sticks are available when you arrive, but if you have a specific type in mind or want advice it might be better to buy it/them at home.

One of the most regular concerns on this forum is from women travelling alone. I'm not a woman (although I do travel on my own) but the consensus is that you're very safe. You'll be part of a group or alone if/when you want.

April is a nice time of year on the Camino. Just be prepared for mixed weather.

Enjoy your planning! :D Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi.

I'd say buy your sticks ahead of time. They can be pricey (if you get a good pair, which I recommend), and this way you can watch for sales and such. But don't be afraid of going alone! I've walked the VDLP alone and it was absolutely wonderful. No problems or uncomfortable situations at all. But be prepared to have lots of Spanish folks (especially older men) be surprised to see a woman walking alone and ask, "Sola?!" in amazement.

You will love your experience!

Melanie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
D2nMary: Age is not an issue if you are in reasonable health, you easily meet people in their 70's along the way. You will never b alone for long if you don't want to, make conversation with others along the Camino, at the Albergues and you may even get a round of applause from your fellow walkers when you get to the Cathedral!!. Buen Camino
Cote. 8) :arrow:

Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem!

Walking sticks have become a problem on airlines, if you can't telescope them into your backpack you will have to check them in separately with the risk of loss or damage. Spain is a civilized modern country, there are shops, stores, and markets all along the Camino and it is possible to purchase almost anything there. Synthetic clothing and undergarments dry quickly but even when washed daily will quickly develop an unpleasant odor and feeling against the skin, bring less then what you think you need and buy there, that’s what they invented trashcans for. Technical things are easily overcome but prepare yourself well before you go intellectually as well. Read Spanish and European history, read art and architectural styles, know your religious iconography, read other peoples experiences online or choose among the myriad which are out there – examples? Try "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson and excellent the very best and detailed introduction, try "The Road to Santiago de Compostela" by Michael Jacobs a smaller more concise book, try "The Age of Pilgrimage" by Jonathan Sumption, don’t try "The Camino-A Journey of the Spirit" by Shirley Maclaine or "I’m Off Then" by Hape Kerkeling they won’t explain anything except all about Shirley Maclaine and Hape Kerkeling themselves, do try "Roads to Santiago" by Gees Nooteboom. And know your guidebook well and do try to understand the infuriating misorientated maps of Mr. Brierley before you reach Spain. Forewarned is forearmed so be prepared to totally enjoy yourself and to be overwhelmed emotionally every day from sights from other people and most of all from your own self.
The books? Get them used from a reputable online dealer say:

http://www.abebooks.com/

PS One is never alone on the Camino Frances unless you choose to be alone

With this much time to prepare you might want to consider other forms if exercise to balance out your overall health, swimming is great for endurance training.

You might also want to use some oh this time to learn the language. Rosetta Stone has a course in spanish for Spain.

Enjoy your preparations and training.

Dave

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Regarding camino books, try, "The Roads to Santiago", by Derry Brabbs - beautiful photos of all the routes in France, and the CF in Spain.

Thank you, ALL of you for your wonderful advise and support. I can feel better knowing that I will be safe and happy on my pilgrimage. I will study, learn and exercise my body, mind and spirit. A couple more questions: I have Kaiser Perm. Health Insurance and do I need to purchase different Medical Insurance while I am in France/Spain? If so, what? Also can I get a Natural wood walking stick in the shops in France/Spain? Thanks again.

Kaiser may reimburse medical expenses, but no one will recognize the company. You probably will pay for services, then go to Kaiser to see what they will cover.

Wood staves are available everywhere. Natural wood? It would depend what you mean!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi!

I've no idea about insurance from the States, but it has been mentioned fairly recently on the forum so just search for info.

The wooden pilgrims' walking poles are available all along the way. However, there's an elderly man who might approach you in Los Arcos. He sells carved sticks that are by far the nicest that I've seen on the Camino. Apparently he appears from about April onwards and you'll encounter him in the plaza between the bar/restaurant and the church. I think he was asking about 10 Euros for one last year.

Buen Camino!

Hello d2nMary

I am also planning the walk from jean de pied next April and can honestly say it is the most daunting thing I have ever done. My wife is also slightly concerned but very understanding.

Having read many reports here I get the impression that there are many kind and good pilgrims on the walk and if I chicken out I will always regret not attempting the walk before older age becomes a possible consideration.

Perhaps you may pass me next April. Best wishes

Richard

I am 53 years old and this will be my first Camino. As a woman going alone I have a lot of concerns. Reading all the posts on all subjects has helped ease my mind a bit. Thank you for all the information.I plan to start my Camino in April of 2014 just after my 55th birthday. I will be flying from LAX . I have been doing training walks and I can walk up to 17 miles a day without worries.My questions are: Should I pack just a a few things for the flight over and get the rest I need in St Jean? Can I purchase a walking stick once I arrive? I'm looking into getting a Aarn Backpack MM33 I am 125 lbs and 5'2'' is this a good choice? Should I be afraid to take this journey alone? ( because I kinda am) I would be grateful for any information you can give.
HELLO *D2NMARY,,
Do not concern one's self with heartache or concerns regarding your path's & your walk on The path of St. James.
Everything has been written about your walk before you were in your first diaper, or for that matter open your eyes after your birth into this realm.
Peace & health & good weather on your walk.
Although thank the creator for the rain ! It makes the flowers grow & makes us appreciate the Sun when it separates the clouds & drives away the thunder .
my best regards on your path,,,
Doc here in Music City U>S>A

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

ANYONE LEAVING MID OCTOBER 2014?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back