• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting ready for the Camino Olvidado

peregrina2000

Staff member
In less than two weeks, Susanna and I will be meeting up in Bilbao and walking the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada. Once in Ponferrada we will go onto the Camino de Invierno, where hopefully we will meet KinkyOne or Econodan or some other forum members.

I think AJ is the only forum member who has posted on his walk on the Camino Olvidado, but if there are any others with experiences, now would be a great time to come forward and throw in your advice and opinions.

[EDIT: Oops, how could I have forgotten to mention caminka, whose many posts and detailed information have been a LOT of help to us. Sorry, caminka, no slight intended, we are very grateful to you]

There is a LOT of romanesque on this route, so AlanSykes, you may be interested. We are taking a detour to spend a night in Villasana de Mena in order to walk to the churches at Santa Maria de Siones and San Lorenzo de Vallejo http://www.turismovalledemena.es/romanico.php and there are lots of beautiful romanesque places on the way like San Pedro de Cervatos. http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colegiata_de_San_Pedro_de_Cervatos

I have learned we will be arriving in Aguilar de Campoo during the town's week long fiestas, so I have decided to break with precedent and reserve a place to stay, but it may not be easy. Has anyone on the forum been in Aguilar de Campoo or Cervera de Pisuerga?

Once in Ponferrada, where the Camino de Invierno begins, we will take a detour up to the mountains and I will FINALLY get to visit Penalba de Santiago. There is an albergue there, http://lamasera.blogspot.com, where we will spend several days doing day hikes.

I am not sure how or if we will be in touch from the Camino, but you can be sure I will take good notes and do my best to help future pilgrims once I get back from this adventure! Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Laurie,

As always all the best to you! Give each of those wonderful churches a love tap for me especially Penalba de Santiago! Don't forget your trusty water heating coil.

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In less than two weeks, Susanna and I will be meeting up in Bilbao and walking the Camino Olvidado from Bilbao to Ponferrada. Once in Ponferrada we will go onto the Camino de Invierno, where hopefully we will meet KinkyOne or Econodan or some other forum members.

I think AJ is the only forum member who has posted on his walk on the Camino Olvidado, but if there are any others with experiences, now would be a great time to come forward and throw in your advice and opinions.

There is a LOT of romanesque on this route, so AlanSykes, you may be interested. We are taking a detour to spend a night in Villasana de Mena in order to walk to the churches at Santa Maria de Siones and San Lorenzo de Vallejo http://www.turismovalledemena.es/romanico.php and there are lots of beautiful romanesque places on the way like San Pedro de Cervatos. http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colegiata_de_San_Pedro_de_Cervatos

I have learned we will be arriving in Aguilar de Campoo during the town's week long fiestas, so I have decided to break with precedent and reserve a place to stay, but it may not be easy. Has anyone on the forum been in Aguilar de Campoo or Cervera de Pisuerga?

Once in Ponferrada, where the Camino de Invierno begins, we will take a detour up to the mountains and I will FINALLY get to visit Penalba de Santiago. There is an albergue there, http://lamasera.blogspot.com, where we will spend several days doing day hikes.

I am not sure how or if we will be in touch from the Camino, but you can be sure I will take good notes and do my best to help future pilgrims once I get back from this adventure! Buen camino, Laurie
I just read your post I am not aware of the Camino Olvidado. Can you tell me more about it?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just read your post I am not aware of the Camino Olvidado. Can you tell me more about it?

The Camino Olvidado is an old one, I've read that it pre-dates the Frances and lost its importance after the publication of the Codex (the Brierley of the Middle Ages, I guess). The route goes from Bilbao to Ponferrada, through some mountainous areas, no major cities, not any pilgrims. We have gotten most of our information from these websites,

http://www.elcaminoolvidado.com
http://www.viejocaminodesantiago.com

And from caminka's many posts on this forum, along with a detailed guide, were also extremely helpful.

We've now got a document that roughly resembles a mini-guide, which we will test out soon and hopefully upload tothe forum after we're back. No albergues, except for where the route crosses the Vadiniense (Cistierna0 and the Salvador (La Robla). We are finding double rooms in the 40 range, occasionally as high as 60. Several of the towns have youth hostels, but these will be filled with youth groups in the summer, and we will probably not go for that option. Out of season, they would be a good alternative.

Now getting down to counting the days, and duct taping my plug adaptor to my electric coil so I don't leave the adaptor in the socket again! Buen camino, Laurie

Wish you all the best Laurie and I hope you enjoy this Camino even more that all the other ones.

Where are you planning on staying in Bilbo? I would recommend the Hostel Ganbara in the Casco Viejo.
It´s quite new, clean, well situated and offers discounts to peregrinos.

Ondo Ibili !
Hi Mendi, we decided to go for a pension near the cathedral. The Ganbara looks very nice but given our arrival times we thought a pension would be better. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,
I can highly recommend la posada de Santa Maria la Real in Aguilar. Went there on a regular holiday. History in abundance!!
http://www.alojamientosconhistoria.com/posada/
Thanks, Sabine,
I had seen that, and it is right on the Camino on the way out of town, just a bit out of our budget! I did contact them to see about rooms, though, and have not yet heard back. All the small hostals in town are filled because of the fiestas. Another convent in town, the Clarisas, has accommodation for religious retreats, and I've written to ask whether they might make an exception for peregrinas during the town's fiestas.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino Laurie and Susanna! Looking forward to your postings from along these Ways! (Laurie, are you taking powdered milk?)
Terry

Buen Camino to you both

I live in easy driving distance from Aguilar and Cervera. You get stuck, let me know. I will come and get you. I may even be forced to walk with you some of the way up there!
Reb., who is jealous

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino Olvidado is an old one, I've read that it pre-dates the Frances and lost its importance after the publication of the Codex (the Brierley of the Middle Ages, I guess). The route goes from Bilbao to Ponferrada, through some mountainous areas, no major cities, not any pilgrims.

We've now got a document that roughly resembles a mini-guide, which we will test out soon and hopefully upload tothe forum after we're back.

Laurie, this is most exciting. Looking forward to reading your guide. My good wishes for the journey.

Sounds like a wonderful route.....not for me this time, but i hope to see you along the Invierno......not sure of my dates yet but will keep an eye on your updates...:)

I live in easy driving distance from Aguilar and Cervera. You get stuck, let me know. I will come and get you. I may even be forced to walk with you some of the way up there!
Reb., who is jealous
Are you an xpat? My wife and I are searching the world looking for the next place to call home.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Buen Camino Laurie and Susanna! Looking forward to your postings from along these Ways! (Laurie, are you taking powdered milk?)
Terry

The milk question is still to be determined. :) When I get to Bilbao I will check out my options and carry whichever one is the most reasonable weight. I've been able to reduce my pack weight by a couple of kilos, well maybe a kilo and a half, even with the extra gear like the gps for this camino, and I don't want to keep inching back up on the weight!

Buen camino, Laurie

:) @peregrina2000
Hope to meet you and Susanna somewhere on Invierno too. We won't be too much apart, day or two maybe, so you never know... Enjoy Olvidado!!!

Ultreia!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back