• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting ready to walk again :-) with Santiago to Santiago

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
so after two year I will be back on the way for 5 days with my husband and our 8 month son... I am beyond than excited since my son Santiago was a present from my second camino since I met my husband there...
So I have two questions if anyone can help :)
First of all we won't carry sleeping bags and towels since we will be carrying the baby and we will have only one back pack,so I am wondering we can find on the way pensions that are fully equiped (towels,sheets ect) and take the stamps there?also we need two stamps in order to take the Compostela right? We will start in valenca/tui.
And also these pensions might have kitchen that I could use to cook the baby's meal?if not you think it will possible to use the kitchen in the alburgues?
We can't stay in the alburgues because of the baby,although he is quite I wouldnt risk to sleep with many people and wake them up if he cries...

Bom caminho to all!!! Keep walking...keep smiling!!!!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Angeliki,

Gronze.com has this handy on line list in Spanish for most accommodations on the Camino Portugues. Organized by location as you progress north along the camino citations for pilgrim albergues are listed first and regular tourist accomodation second such as hostals or pension. Tap each citation for more on address/email/cost/facilities etc.
Links to Booking.com
are also provided.

Happy planning and Bom caminho to you and your family!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Each pilgrim must have their own credencial and stamps to seek a Compostela. However, Compostelas are not awarded to minor children, like yours. Typically, the child must be "at the age of reason."

There is no hard and fast definition of this, but clearly, a toddler or infant would not be old enough to qualify. Typically, the staff at the pilgrim office will ask if the child is Catholic, has made their First Communion. This easily meets the test of "being at the age of reason."

However, generally speaking, it means the child can answer simple questions put to him or her and is able to walk on their own, thereby potentially earning the Compostela. The latter scenario is waived if the child is medically unable to walk on his or her own.

In three years volunteering at the Pilgrim Office, I have not seen an infant or toddler issued their own Compostela. I HAVE seen them informally listed along with the parent on the parent's Compostela. But, that is not automatic and needs to be requested when you apply for your Compostela. There is no guarantee of this.

What I HAVE seen fairly commonly, are the optional (donativo I think) 'Distance Certificate' issued in a family name for a family group completing the Camino together. In the space where it says the person's name, instead is written "la familia García-Sabadell," or whatever the family name may be.

I suspect this is because the Compostela is a formal Church document with medieval origins, that has been issued for about a thousand years. The 'Distance Certificate' is a modern invention to satisfy arriving pilgrims who want to document the length of their pilgrimage.

I hope this helps.

Congratulations, @angeliki louk! How fun to walk with your husband and son.

Reserving places ahead of time that you know will work for your family will probably be the best way to go. If you already know how far you hope to walk each day, you can use Booking.com to look up available accommodations and even filter by what facilities/ amenities you'll need. For example, you could click on "Apartments" and see the available apartments with bedrooms, kitchenettes, etc. Then you can book right there.

Most pensions and apartments will have towels and sheets for guests. They may or may not have stamps available, but if not you could get your credenciales stamped in bars along the way.

The albergues in Galicia usually don't have fully-equipped kitchens so I wouldn't count on being able to cook in them.

Have a very Buen Camino!
Faith

And yes, you'll need two stamps each day (from two different towns each day) during the last 100kms in order to "qualify" for a Compostela. Have fun! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
so after two year I will be back on the way for 5 days with my husband and our 8 month son... I am beyond than excited since my son Santiago was a present from my second camino since I met my husband there...
So I have two questions if anyone can help :)
First of all we won't carry sleeping bags and towels since we will be carrying the baby and we will have only one back pack,so I am wondering we can find on the way pensions that are fully equiped (towels,sheets ect) and take the stamps there?also we need two stamps in order to take the Compostela right? We will start in valenca/tui.
And also these pensions might have kitchen that I could use to cook the baby's meal?if not you think it will possible to use the kitchen in the alburgues?
We can't stay in the alburgues because of the baby,although he is quite I wouldnt risk to sleep with many people and wake them up if he cries...

Bom caminho to all!!! Keep walking...keep smiling!!!!!!
Wonderful areal Camino family about to share again. We stayed in private rooms at Alberques, as we are an older couple who snore when tired. No need for sleeping bags. We loved the shared meals and the company, but it was great to know we could retire to a room, where we would not disturb or be disturbed by our fellow travellers. There was a young couple with a babe on our Camino. They had a pram, 2 backpacks and a baby carrier. Sometimes the baby was in the pram, sometimes the backpacks.
The people running the alberques were all so nice, I am sure they would assist you with the baby's food. We did not book ahead as our guide book listed all accomodation, adding an * to the alberques with private rooms. We only walked from Leon to Santiago. We plan SJDP to Leon next Spring

Thank you all so much for you replies!!! As I always say the way provides everything that you need!!!!
Take care and smile!!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back