• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting set up with cell phone in France

birnbaumclara

Time of past OR future Camino
the Frances, and Finisterre and Muxia (summer, 2012). Will walk from Le Puy to SJPP (summer, 2014)
I hope to be walking in France in August /some September perhaps along part of the Le Puy route GR65, with a donkey. I walked the full route to SJPP a few years ago (without donkey) and didn`t have a phone, and was inconvenienced because really there were virtually no pay phones (I was shocked) and in France one must reserve ahead, so I had to bother people a lot for the use of theirs. I don`t own a cellphone in Japan because I feel no need of one here, so it`s comic that it was on the ancient Camino de Santiago that I felt the need to hook up. This time the need for a phone may be greater because of my future donkey companion and the added logistical challenges. I did find a related thread on this forum, but my specific concerns were not addressed, so I`m starting this new thread. I have many Q`s but am sure that I don`t even know most of the obvious ones to ask. I would appreciate any tips on the subject. Thanks to anyone who sees this and has something to teach me.
- Given I don`t have a phone now, does one buy/rent a phone in France?
- A major Japanese shop here knew little about this, so I guess people don`t take their J phones. (?)
- I heard that one could get set up with a phone at the airport. If so, is that advised?
- Are such airport shops open at night? I`ll land early evening.
- I read somewhere about phone`s having to be "open", whatever that means.
- I understand a SIM chip is used that can easily be topped up when the call allotment runs out. True?
- If one buys a phone, what is a likely cost? / Can it be sold back at the end?
- How about normal operating costs? (making reservations, researching gites, etc online, some email)
- Any prep I should do here in Japan?
- Can I pick up enough about basic use of a phone on the road? I can get by quite well in French.
- Hmmm . . . I don`t know what else to ask.

Again, merci beaucoup, Clara

-

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Clara here. I just started this new thread and then thought of another question. I will arrive in Paris in the evening, and am hoping to take a train the next day. I presume I can get set up with a cell phone anywhere these days, right? I don`t have to be in Paris, or another major city, do I? Or, assuming I can`t do it at the airport in the evening, should I spend a day in Paris working this out? Thanks, Clara

Hi Clara!

Welcome to the Forum!

You can buy a phone and plan almost anywhere in France. The shops in the airport may be able to help you or shops in town. Check out this helpful earlier Forum thread re cell phones on the Le Puy camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ch-cell-phone-company-for-le-puy-route.14582/

Orange is a good source and their service widespread. Look for an Orange boutique when you land.
Another good shop often in cities is Darty which sells phones and plans from many suppliers.

Good luck with your research and Bon chemin!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Clara!

Welcome to the Forum!

You can buy a phone and plan almost anywhere in France. The shops in the airport may be able to help you or shops in town. Check out this helpful earlier Forum thread re cell phones on the Le Puy camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ch-cell-phone-company-for-le-puy-route.14582/

Orange is a good source and their service widespread. Look for an Orange boutique when you land.
Another good shop often in cities is Darty which sells phones and plans from many suppliers.

Good luck with your research and Bon chemin!

Thanks so much for your tips, and for the thread. I hadn`t seen that one. It answers several of my questions.

'Open' means that the chip has been unlocked to allow any service provider. Here in Canada they are usually 'locked' by the service provider so that they are the only service provider. 'Lock' is a software encryption. Cell phones are often 'locked' because the customer is 'given' a phone and the cost of the phone is recovered via monthly recurring charges and usage fees over the life of the phone.

'Open' means that the chip has been unlocked to allow any service provider. Here in Canada they are usually 'locked' by the service provider so that they are the only service provider. 'Lock' is a software encryption. Cell phones are often 'locked' because the customer is 'given' a phone and the cost of the phone is recovered via monthly recurring charges and usage fees over the life of the phone.
Thanks for this. I`m from Canada but living in Japan. I think here too, phones are generally locked and the same logic applies. I understand that it`s possible, however, to get unlocked phones, so I`m asking around here to see if it`s worth getting a phone here that I can easily use once I come back to Japan, or if I should do all the purchasing in France. I figure too, that it makes sense to get a decent phone that can also be my camera while in France. Ohhh, Ohhh, so many logistical challenges. I just want to walk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one thing you have to do after buying your phone and SIM card is "registering" your phone with the French authorities. Together with the SIM card you get a form that you need to fill out and send back with a copy of your passport, at least that was what I needed to do in 2014 and I had 2 weeks time to do that. Buen Camino, SY

I am walking the Camino d'Arles from Oloron Ste Marie to Somport, then the Aragones to Puenta la Reina and so on to Santiago. If I get a phone in France, can I use it in Spain? I managed without a phone on the Frances last year, except for arriving in a pension which I had booked in Finisterre to discover that the only way to check in was to telephone the management. Fortunately, a guest coming out called the management for me. If I cannot use a French phone in Spain, I shall probably do without, but I am unsure whether I might need a phone on the Aragones. Anyone have any information on this?

I am walking the Camino d'Arles from Oloron Ste Marie to Somport, then the Aragones to Puenta la Reina and so on to Santiago. If I get a phone in France, can I use it in Spain? I managed without a phone on the Frances last year, except for arriving in a pension which I had booked in Finisterre to discover that the only way to check in was to telephone the management. Fortunately, a guest coming out called the management for me. If I cannot use a French phone in Spain, I shall probably do without, but I am unsure whether I might need a phone on the Aragones. Anyone have any information on this?

Albertagirl,
Generally you can not use a phone + plan bought in one country easily in another unless it has been set for "roaming". Roaming will then automatically pick up the service provided within the second country by its providers. (I use and presently pay for such a system when travelling outside France. Next year roaming will be free throughout Europe.)

Since you will be in France for only roughly 50km why not wait to purchase your phone + plan until after the border is crossed and you are in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Albertagirl,
Generally you can not use a phone + plan bought in one country easily in another unless it has been set for "roaming". Roaming will then automatically pick up the service provided within the second country by its providers. (I use and presently pay for such a system when travelling outside France. Next year roaming will be free throughout Europe.)

Since you will be in France for only roughly 50km why not wait to purchase your phone + plan until after the border is crossed and you are in Spain.
Thank you, @mspath:
This would be the obvious solution. But I have heard that use of a phone is almost obligatory on the camino in France. I do not want to be out in the cold. Perhaps I can request that my hosts at my first night's stay in Oloron Ste Marie phone ahead for me to where I plan to stay the next night. I am not at all sure about accommodation on the Aragones route, but I should perhaps just take my chances. I expect to be okay on the Frances after Puenta la Reina. Just a little bit of cold feet on unfamiliar routes, I guess. Once I get into Spain, I can use my ipad to book on Gronze.com. But they don't seem to be available in France and I can't be bothered getting Miam Miam Dodo for just a couple of nights. Thanks again.

Thank you, @mspath:
This would be the obvious solution. But I have heard that use of a phone is almost obligatory on the camino in France. I do not want to be out in the cold. Perhaps I can request that my hosts at my first night's stay in Oloron Ste Marie phone ahead for me to where I plan to stay the next night. I am not at all sure about accommodation on the Aragones route, but I should perhaps just take my chances. I expect to be okay on the Frances after Puenta la Reina. Just a little bit of cold feet on unfamiliar routes, I guess. Once I get into Spain, I can use my ipad to book on Gronze.com. But they don't seem to be available in France and I can't be bothered getting Miam Miam Dodo for just a couple of nights. Thanks again.

The Camino from Arles is a completely different one to the Le Puy one and the Aragones is even more relaxed! Unless you walk in winter and need to know for safety reasons that albergues are open, you will do fine without a phone on these ones. Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Take your cell phone to your local dealer and ask to have the sim card 'unlocked'.

Then when you get to France you go to a cell phone dealer and ask for a sim card for use in France.

Then when you get to Spain you do the same.

The main problem will be in getting your service provider to 'unlock' the phone.

If they refuse you could try to get a 'roaming' package that allows you to use France and Spain networks without incurring long distance roaming charges.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back