• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting somewhere from Biarritz

Walden

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan changes mean I’m not going to SJDP to start my walk as I’ve a small medical issue lately. I don’t think the big climb would be good.

I’m flying into Biarritz, but now I don’t know what to do, or where to go. Pretty lost for ideas actually.

I thought maybe a bus to pamplona but it doesn’t arrive in Pamplona til 9.30pm so I’ll barely see Pamplona then.
I don’t really want to miss a day walking the next day, as I’m really looking forward to getting going.
I read about the Baztan but I believe it’s very quiet and muddy this time of year. I’m not sure I would like to walk all day alone.

I land in Biarritz at 2.50 pm but there is a bus leaving at 3.30.
would it take long to get through Biarritz airport? If I miss this it’s 6.30pm bus arriving in Pamplona at 9.30, where my albergue would lock me in at 11.

I’ve run out of ideas, I wish I had booked to fly into madrid. Biarritz is so cut off. I’m lost.

Any ideas please?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My choice would be the bus to Pamplona but take a day off there to experience it. Also book non albergue accommodation there, hotel or something that does not have a curfew. Gives you time to check in and a late night tapas.

If the Baztanes is not for you why not just walk from Biarritz to Irun and start the Norte?

Or walk from Biarritz to SJpDP (nice walk not too strenuous) then walk the Valcarlos route?(Or get a bus to Roncessvales/Pamplona from St Jean)?

I am sat here bored, I wish I had your options!

Let us know how you get on, Bon Chemin/Buen Camino

Davey

There are trains from Biarritz to Irun/Hendaye every hour; only take around 25 minutes. From Irun you'll find a lot of transport options to Pamplona - even if you get in the next day, the trip only takes 1h20 from Irun, so you can start walking early!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My choice would be the bus to Pamplona but take a day off there to experience it. Also book non albergue accommodation there, hotel or something that does not have a curfew. Gives you time to check in and a late night tapas.

If the Baztanes is not for you why not just walk from Biarritz to Irun and start the Norte?

Or walk from Biarritz to SJpDP (nice walk not too strenuous) then walk the Valcarlos route?(Or get a bus to Roncessvales/Pamplona from St Jean)?

I am sat here bored, I wish I had your options!

Let us know how you get on, Bon Chemin/Buen Camino

Davey
Is there a name on that Camino Davey? The one from Biarritz to SJDP

Is there a name on that Camino Davey? The one from Biarritz to SJDP

The way I did it was Biarritz - Anglet - Bayonne.
From Bayonne the way is called the Voie de la Neve, it follows the River Neve to SJpdP, and is well signposted.

I wasn't too keen on walking between Biarritz and Bayonne though, it was a bit too urban for me. Could easily catch a bus to Bayonne and start there.

Davey

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh wow, I’m very interested.. so I could get an airport connection to Bayonne and walk three days to walk to SJDP. Are there albergues at the end of each etape/ stage davey?

Private accommodation I think, not sure as I was freecamping when I walked it. (I walked the other direction too).

Check out Kinky's links above. The stages seem to be Bayonne, Ustaritz, Helette, St. Jean according to the above. Check booking.com or similar to see what is available.

Davey

There are accommodations in the following places. Seems there is a Gite communal in Helette too. :)

- Bayonne : Hotels ou auberges de jeunesse d'Anglet et de Biarritz
- Ustaritz : hôtels
- Cambo les Bains : hôtels
- Macaye : hôtel
- Hélette : Hôtel ou gîte d'étape communal
- Irissary : Hôtel
- St jean pied de Port : gîtes d'étape - chambres d'hotes- hôtels

Check out this current thread of someone walking that route at the moment:

Davey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The stages seem to be Bayonne, Ustaritz, Helette, St. Jean according to the above.

Ustaritz is only 14km away, so it seems many continue to Cambo on the first day (although Walden might consider walking to Ustaritz right after landing - looking at the map, the path isn't too far from the airport!)

Seems there's a couple of "trail angels" in Ustaritz who would pick you up from the village and take you back to their place (donativo) but this would need to be arranged in advance. Then there's a "gite d'etape" in Helette. Got the info here - says it was updated March 2019, so hopefully all accurate.

You will likely be as alone on the Voie de Nive as on the Baztan.
And the Baztan was not very muddy - my experience, anyway. It's five very nice days direct to Pamplona. The deal breaker might be the hills; it is a bit up and down. That said, there is nothing that is at all as steep or long as the walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles (on either route). And if you walk the Voie de Nive you still have to go up to Roncesvalles.

I’m really very grateful to you all. I am going to walk from Biarritz to SJDP.

Do I need a credential? Can I use my old del Norte one?

I’m wondering why the albergues along the route aren’t open yet as it’s Easter weekend, this weekend, I think I’ll call the stops tomorrow. Thanks Jan D for the options too. I think maybe I’ll spend the first night in Bayonne. Is it nice? Any recommendations for a nice pilgrim style hostel or albergue?

How your day can open with possibility when you ask helpful people. Thank you everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ustaritz is only 14km away, so it seems many continue to Cambo on the first day (although Walden might consider walking to Ustaritz right after landing - looking at the map, the path isn't too far from the airport!)

Seems there's a couple of "trail angels" in Ustaritz who would pick you up from the village and take you back to their place (donativo) but this would need to be arranged in advance. Then there's a "gite d'etape" in Helette. Got the info here - says it was updated March 2019, so hopefully all accurate.

But where do the many stay in Cambo? Looks like Ustaritz has lots of options but if I stay in Bayonne, then a 14km day is very light. Walking to Cambo would be a nice walk.
Thanks for the advice Jan.

I’m wondering why the albergues along the route aren’t open yet as it’s Easter weekend, this weekend, I think I’ll call the stops tomorrow. Thanks Jan D for the options too. I think maybe I’ll spend the first night in Bayonne. Is it nice? Any recommendations for a nice pilgrim style hostel or albergue?

How your day can open with possibility when you ask helpful people. Thank you everyone.
Bayonne is very nice. Not so touristy as Biarritz and with a bit more history attached. Many hotels, pensions, at least one albergue and plenty of private rooms (air b'n'b style). Just google it. Many people stay in the vicinity of train station to catch the first morning train to SJPdP but especially if you would walk Nive/Baztan route I really suggest to find something in the old part of Bayonne. It's straight over the bridge from the train station but if you will walk from Biarritz/Anglet you'l actually walk on Via de Bayona backward and will come to the old part by the river. It's charming.

You can get order a credential from the shop here if you have time for it to arrive. Or you can get a new one from the Cathedral in Bayonne "Just head across the bridge in to city. It is about 10/15 minute walk. There is a little desk on your right about 3/4 down towards the altar inside the Cathedral".

You can of course use your Norte one if you wish.

Bayonne is stunningly beautiful!

Enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ooo, how exciting! :D

I've never had a problem using an "old" credential on a new camino - and I doubt you'll need to show it to anyone before SJPP (except possibly the communal gite in Helette). This camino path is a bit off the beaten track, and I imagine there are very few pilgrims outside of the summer months. You'll probably need to use private accommodation at least once, especially if you decide to stay in Cambo-les-bains.

No idea where people stay in Cambo-les-bains, but on a couple of the French websites they list it as an potential ending for Day 1, hence I assumed it was quite common. The hotels on booking.com do seem quite pricey (minimum £52)... alternatively there's a campsite but obviously this won't work if you don't have a tent. 🤔 hmmm. Not sure. You might need to splash out on a hotel. The town seems to be popular for its thermal spa treatments (as you can tell from the name), so might be busy over the Easter period.

Ooo, how exciting! :D

I've never had a problem using an "old" credential on a new camino - and I doubt you'll need to show it to anyone before SJPP (except possibly the communal gite in Helette). This camino path is a bit off the beaten track, and I imagine there are very few pilgrims outside of the summer months. You'll probably need to use private accommodation at least once, especially if you decide to stay in Cambo-les-bains.

No idea where people stay in Cambo-les-bains, but on a couple of the French websites they list it as an potential ending for Day 1, hence I assumed it was quite common. The hotels on booking.com do seem quite pricey (minimum £52)... alternatively there's a campsite but obviously this won't work if you don't have a tent. 🤔 hmmm. Not sure. You might need to splash out on a hotel. The town seems to be popular for its thermal spa treatments (as you can tell from the name), so might be busy over the Easter period.

I camp a lot in France. Many campsites in France have chalets to rent, sometimes for the same price as pitching your own tent. Might be worth Walden checking it out, could be a cheaper option than a hotel.

Currently IN Cambo right now!!!! My link was referenced above as my wife and I are walking from Biarritz to SJPdP at this very moment. Happy to share info as current as it can get!

The path is well-marked and flat until Ustaritz where there’s a small amount of ups and downs. You CAN walk direct from the airport to Ustaritz if you are up for such a quick departure, otherwise it’s a short walk to Bayonne (which is a beautiful city and worth the visit).

You can get a credential at a table inside the church during specific hours (1000-1200, 1500-1800 but it may change) but you really don’t need it since you’ll probably end up having to stay in hotels most of the nights. Cambo has a “unofficial” albuergue which was covered in previous posts if you search for it.

Ustaritz had signs for two albuerges (Albuerge Fronton and Le Petit Albuerge) but they didn’t appear open as we walked by today. See the photo below and blow it up to get the phone number if you want to contact them. There was also a hand-painted sign indicating a Camino albuergue (“Natalie” I think) right as you enter Ustaritz, but it was a bit off the pate so we didn’t walk by it. Google maps shows several gites enroute but all looked like they haven’t opened for the season. In Cambo our hotel is 60€ for two with breakfast, so it’s not cheap.

We saw a few pilgrims on the route, but they were apparently headed for Pamplona on the Batzan since they went right when we headed left. It will be very quiet on your walk, but lots of locals use the Nive River path in the morning so you won’t be alone.

Contact me directly if you have more q’s I can answer!

294631B4-63D1-496B-9BE0-058A89DE04D2.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, so i can’t get a place with the lovely lady who runs the albergue in Bayonne, and incredibly airb&b and booking have nothing. So we used gronze and found chez habitat Veronique. Can’t find anything anywhere about it but gronze says it’s for pilgrims. Anyone been there?

Cambo looks like a hotel, as Jan said. That’s ok.
And I’ve been in touch with helettte tourist office and got keys sorted. Then SJDP!

So, despite going to Bayonne with no real leads apart from gronze, it looks ok. I think

The walk from Cambo to Helette is definitely a different beast than the first day. Lots of rolling hills, some steep climbs, and plenty of amazing views without a person in sight! It’s definitely pilgrim-free, so realize that not only will you be walking alone, you really won’t see anyone either.

However, definitely beautiful and we had THE best meal of any Camino at the Basque restaurant in Macaye (there’s only one...). Definitely plan a stop there for lunch (opens at noon, Menu of the Day was 13€ for FIVE courses PLUS wine and coffee!!!!!). Nicest women in the world, too.

Ok, so i can’t get a place with the lovely lady who runs the albergue in Bayonne, and incredibly airb&b and booking have nothing. So we used gronze and found chez habitat Veronique. Can’t find anything anywhere about it but gronze says it’s for pilgrims. Anyone been there?

Cambo looks like a hotel, as Jan said. That’s ok.
And I’ve been in touch with helettte tourist office and got keys sorted. Then SJDP!

So, despite going to Bayonne with no real leads apart from gronze, it looks ok. I think
In 2016 when I started Via de Bayona I had this info:
A (??pl, PRIV, »Albergue Pension Veronica«, Rue de la Monnaie 11, +33/687-305-415) ??€ / TA

A (??pl, PAR, »Association Maison Diocesiane«, Av.Jean Darrigrand, +33/559-584-747) 21€/1p, 26€/2p

A (4pl, PRIV, catx@albergue-bayonne.com, +33/651-596-016 or +33/666-851-024 (Catharina & Gregory), reserv.2w in adv.!!!) don€

I tried to reserve with Catharina & Gregory but they were absent on the day I needed accommodation and they redirect me to "Eloixa Ospital" on Rue du Luc 13 (just on the other side of the church and cloister as you come from Bayonne train station and easy to find). Phone number is +33 689 334 830. Eloixa (Basque for Heloise) is single mother, contemporary dancer and is offering a room with matrimony mattress (on floor but it's very cozy and nice!!!) use of kitchen and bathroom for 20€ (25€ with breakfast). Well, that was three years ago. E-mail: eloixa@hotmail.com
She speaks English.

Bon Chemin!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not till July but I'm staying the night in Bayonne before heading to SJPP on the train for my Frances! Been there for a day before it is very nice so want to spend a evening and morning there. Great food and beer, as well as wine. The airport is just as close to Bayonne as Biarritz! Plus you can get a Credencial from Cathedrale de Bayonne! Buen Camino

@Walden
In Sept 2018 We stayed at chez l'habitant Veronique. I booked via email she quickly replied saying 4 beds were waiting for us. It's just one room off her top floor apartment. Shower room etc off the corridor. It's very close to the cathedral.
We arrived to find another female pilgrim in the room for 4 so it was a bit tight on space. We were an all female group. A mattress was found and our youngest member slept on the floor.
Breakfast next day in Veronique's apartment was excellent and definitely made up for any short comings on accommodation.

Just thought you'd like to know I'm on the voie. I walked off the Ryanair plane straight to Bayonne, lovely easy walk. I stayed in the second albergue listed on Gronze, Veronique's place. Right beside the cathedral. It was good. She's a great character, lively. We had a nice breakfast with her. Note her place is no. 11, not 2 as on Gronze. €20 with breakfast. I'm in Cabo now, 26km of beautiful walking. Very scenic, I'll post pictures when I get better signal. Bayonne is lovely too. Thanks to Davey, Jan and all you guys for advice that sent me this way. Id recommend this way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walden. Good to hear from you. When we stayed I read the address on the Buen Camino app and thought it was no. 2 ( interpreting it as Roman numerals!! ) We spent time ringing all the bells at no. 2 ! Fortunately one of our group had arrived earlier and found the correct address. Yes Veronique is a great character and the breakfast was fantastic.

Last edited:
I'm glad you decided to do it Walden! Even more that you are enjoying this way!

Keep us informed (your notes will help others in the future) and
Bon Chemin!

Davey

I walked Voie de Nive last April, after walking to SJPdP from Le Puy. I had visited SJPdP twice before and was bored, so decided to fill time until my train reservation by walking to Bayonne. SJPdP to Helette was a bit difficult to follow in reverse, but I remember the Helette to Cambo stage as being particularly beautiful, though perhaps tougher going uphill. The Helette communal gite is basic, unstaffed, and not exclusively for pilgrims. But it is clean and has all the essentials.
I agree with all who posted good comments on Bayonne as a stopover. It's a great, lively French Basque city. A bit less cosmopolitan than Biarritz and with no beaches of its own, but the Bar du Marche is an institution for breakfast or lunch and the Cathedral more than worth a visit - and with an attractive tampon/sello.
Try hot chocolate in one of the old fashioned salons du the (tea shops) It is a delicious local speciality, thanks to several generations of Jewish chocolate makers who crossed the border from Spain to escape the Inquisition or, centuries later, Franco's nationalism.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Let GRONZE know about any discrepancies in addresses, phone #s, etc to help future walkers. And congrats on choosing a great route!

Walden?!?!!? Any updates?!? Did you keep walking?

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back