• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting started to start my first Camino

Athena Atterdag

time&space traveller
Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno, Primitivo, Inglés+Fisterra/Muxía
Hi, hola, ciao & bonjour to everyone!

I'm Anna, I live in St Petersburg, Russia, I'm an avid traveller, Gothic architecture lover, and a Roman Catholic.

I first learned about the Camino Santiago and other pilgrimage routes many years ago, but didn't feel inclined to go myself until a couple of years ago or so. Then I started to think about walking the Camino... sometime. Last autumn, I walked a bit of the Via Francigena, from Bard to Pont St Martin in Piedmont (just for a pleasant walk, really), and somehow, that was the turning point.

My ultimate dream is to walk from Chartres to Santiago de Compostela, but my nearest plan - for late May or early June of this year - is to walk from Notre Dame de Paris to Notre Dame de Chartres, my absolutely favourite Gothic cathedral. I know about the Pentecost pilgrimage, but for some personal reasons, I want to walk this way alone.

I'm looking very much forward to this, but I'm also a little anxious. I've been in nearly every part of Europe (and in some parts of the wider world), but for the first time am I going to set off on a journey on foot and without pre-booked hotels and all that.

What I already love about the Camino is the wonderful community - I've been asking lots of naive questions (such as "Where do I get a credencial?" and "Oh, can I really just walk in an albergue and ask for a bed?"), and people have been responding very, very kindly.

I'll be now off to looking through this forum for useful information, but if someone reading this has any advice or knows good topics on the Paris-Chartres route, I'll be very grateful!:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm an avid traveller, Gothic architecture lover, and a Roman Catholic.
Learn something about Romanesque art and architecture before you go. I wish I had. I fell in love with it (and there was a lot of it.)

Last edited:
Welcome, Anna!

if someone reading this has any advice or knows good topics on the Paris-Chartres route, I'll be very grateful!
I don't know a thing, but @mspath may, and she is a font of perfect advice. You might consider sending her a PM, with specific questions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A good guide in French to start you off is Lepere editions Sur Le Chemin de Saint Jacques Paris Chartres Tours.

I have not (yet) walked all the way from Paris but have also found this French guidebook useful; perhaps you will also. See La Via Turonensis , La voie Atlantique.

The Monastery of the Orantes in Bonneuil, 23 km from Igny on the route to Chartres provides pilgrim accommodation. Here is their web with contact info for an email.
http://www.spiritualite2000.com/monasteres/monastere-des-orantes-de-lassomption/
You can write them in English for a reservation and provide a Google translation.

Also see the English editions of
sketch maps of the relevant sections of the GR655 from thelocal FFrp.

31 km further at Epernon the Priory Saint Thomas offersaccommodation for pilgrims. See their email contact on this web
www.guidestchristophe.com/hebergements/centre/prieure-saint-thomas.

From Epernon it is 26 km to Chartres. For much French info on this section of the walk in the Eure et Loir department see
www.compostelle28.org/index.php?version=computer

This web offers a fine overview of the archictural history of Chartres cathedral in English.

http://chartrescathedral.net/

Happy planning, Bon chemin and Buen camino,

Last edited:
Dear @mspath, thank you so much!:)

My copy of Sur Le Chemin de Saint Jacques Paris Chartres Tours is already on its way to me - and I can't wait to see it!

As for the accommodations (and again, thank you for the recommendations!), is it necessary to make a reservation on the Paris-Chartres route in advance? I'm planning to cover the distance between Paris and Chartres in 3 days, but, although I'm an avid walker and a trained runner, I don't think I ever walked this much in several consecutive days, so I'd like to have the opportunity to slow down and take my time should I find out that 30 kilometres in one day are too much for me :)

I understand that on the Camino in Spain, people usually don't make reservations, but there seems to be far less information on the north of France :(

Just got my tickets to and from Paris!
Starting my Camino from Paris on May 23, so happy and excited!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a friend who did this by herself just last year...she did plan her accommodations in advance. It was a tremendous experience for her. Travel well!!!

Thank you @rorerich! I'm sure it will be a tremendous experience for me as well, can't wait for the beginning of my walk!

So, it's finally happening! I'm leaving for Paris this evening and starting my walk tomorrow morning!

Here's something I wanted to share: I'm currently staying with friends in Antwerp, and yesterday, I went for a walk. Looking down on the pavement, I noticed a shell, and looking around, a sign pointing to Sint-Jakobskerk, Church of St James. Sure enough, I went there (and it's magnificently beautiful and well worth a visit!).

Now, it's my third time in Antwerp, and somehow, I've never been to this particular church before. As if I was meant to come here at this precise moment, on the eve of my own Camino!

Attachments

• photo_2018-05-22_17-14-28.jpg
    photo_2018-05-22_17-14-28.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo_2018-05-23_12-09-40.jpg
    photo_2018-05-23_12-09-40.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 4
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, it's finally happening! I'm leaving for Paris this evening and starting my walk tomorrow morning!

Here's something I wanted to share: I'm currently staying with friends in Antwerp, and yesterday, I went for a walk. Looking down on the pavement, I noticed a shell, and looking around, a sign pointing to Sint-Jakobskerk, Church of St James. Sure enough, I went there (and it's magnificently beautiful and well worth a visit!).

Now, it's my third time in Antwerp, and somehow, I've never been to this particular church before. As if I was meant to come here at this precise moment, on the eve of my own Camino!

Buen Camino Athena.
And you are right : the Jacobkerk in Antwerp is wonderful..
Keep us posted if you can...

Athena,

I am certain that today you are VERY excited as you leave for Paris to begin your journey.

Have a wonderful Camino! May all your dreams and planning come true.

As Sir Walter Raleigh wrote in the 16th century in His Pilgrimage

"GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true guage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage....
"

Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Be observant and you will find shells all over the place; churches, art, statuary, and home decor. I even noticed that some of my serving wear is shell-shaped (though probably an homage to seafood, not St. James)! Buen camino.

Oh, I've been seeing shells pretty much everywhere ever since I started to plan my Camino in earnest :D

But honestly, I was surprised to discover just how much Camino-related things there are around - I've been avidly travelling to Europe for the last five years, and I never really noticed all those shells in the pavements, street signs, and churches dedicated to St James.

And of course, when I see a fish restaurant with a shell on its sign, the first thing to come to my mind is the Camino, not the seafood :D

Last edited:
I fthink this is serendipity finding your post, and today is your first day. You have some wonderful recommendations, and people to call on, and apart from that it seems that you are very well prepared. I wish you well, buen camino, and I look forward to following your Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear @mspath, thank you so much!:)

My copy of Sur Le Chemin de Saint Jacques Paris Chartres Tours is already on its way to me - and I can't wait to see it!

As for the accommodations (and again, thank you for the recommendations!), is it necessary to make a reservation on the Paris-Chartres route in advance? ...

Since some of the places where you might be staying are " closed " institutions and not regular pilgrim albergues or ordinary tourist accommodation I think it would be best and most polite to call at least the night before to ask if you might stay and thus book your bed/bunk and meal.

Dear all, thank you so much for your warm and kind words! :)

Since some of the places where you might be staying are " closed " institutions and not regular pilgrim albergues or ordinary tourist accommodation I think it would be best and most polite to call at least the night before to ask if you might stay and thus book your bed/bunk and meal.

I decided to be on the safe side and arranged accommodation in advance - thank you again for your response, it helped me greatly!

Since there is so little information on the Via Turonensis, especially the Paris-Chartres stage, I'm thinking of writing a post on the forum when I'm back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aaaaand... in a little over two months from now, I'm starting my Camino de Invierno - leaving from LeĂłn on December 25 and turning south in Ponferrada on December 29.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back