• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting STUFF from St. Jean to Santiago

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
Greetings All,

In a few days I will be starting my first Camino. I will fly from Chicago to BIQ and then shuttle it to St. Jean.

When I fly over, I will be checking my backpack. I will put my backpack in one of my old hockey duffle bags (for all you hockey players...don't worry I washed it first :) )... hoping it will provide a little protection to my backpack.

Soooooooooo, my question is:
  1. When I get to St. Jean, what is the best way to get my duffle bag (plus my "normal street clothes" I wore on the flight) to Santiago?
  2. Costs???
  3. Any other tips??
THANKS!!!

-jj

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings All,

In a few days I will be starting my first Camino. I will fly from Chicago to BIQ and then shuttle it to St. Jean.

When I fly over, I will be checking my backpack. I will put my backpack in one of my old hockey duffle bags (for all you hockey players...don't worry I washed it first :) )... hoping it will provide a little protection to my backpack.

1. When I get to St. Jean, what is the best way to get my duffle bag (plus my "normal street clothes" I wore on the flight) to Santiago?
  2. Costs???
  3. Any other tips??
THANKS!!!

-jj

Express Bourricot offers a good system. See more here in their web
https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/

Happy packing and Buen camino!

Thanks for the info... But,

From their website:

"Price: 70 € per suitcase, 20kg max, transport and storage included. You won’t have to pay anything else once in Santiago."

YIKES!!!! 70 €

At that price I would be better off donating my stuff & buying it again in Santiago.

Are there any other cheaper options???

Cheers,

-jj

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's cheaper if you wait until you cross the border and send it to Santiago via Correos. Sending things from France is considered "international" so it is more expensive. It was a huge hassle, but once I carried extra stuff all the way to Pamplona and sent it from there, it was an easy process, I think about 10 euros for a standard box and they hold it at Santiago for you for up to 30 days. Another time I had it sent forward to a hotel in Santiago from Valcarlos (lower route). This was a few years ago, however, considering how much the costs have increased along the Camino, possibly this is also a premium service now.
Possibly you could find out if there are lockers in Biarritz if you are returning there after the Camino?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's cheaper if you wait until you cross the border and send it to Santiago via Correos. Sending things from France is considered "international" so it is more expensive. It was a huge hassle, but once I carried extra stuff all the way to Pamplona and sent it from there, it was an easy process, I think about 10 euros for a standard box and they hold it at Santiago for you for up to 30 days. Another time I had it sent forward to a hotel in Santiago from Valcarlos (lower route). This was a few years ago, however, considering how much the costs have increased along the Camino, possibly this is also a premium service now.
Possibly you could find out if there are lockers in Biarritz if you are returning there after the Camino?

Good to know about crossing into Spain...

Thanks for the tip!!!

Cheers,

Yes, it is expensive, but for me Express Bourricot was a good option. After you add up the cost of mailing your bag, ~ 18.50€ http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/luggage-transport plus the cost of storage ~20€ at Casa Ivar. http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html plus ~5€ per day to transport it until you get to a post office in Spain + the hassle factor, 70€ isn't bad. Especially since it's sooo easy. You just go to Express Bourricot's office, fill out some forms and pay the 70€. Then they will give you a tag to attach to your bag, which you then leave at your hotel or hostel in the morning before you start walking. As a bonus, Hostal Lasalle, where the luggage is stored will give you a 20% discount on a room in Santiago. I paid about 22€ for a pro ate room with en suite bath. I had friends who paid almost as much for a bed at the Last Stamp albergue.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings All,

2. Costs???
  3. Any other tips??
THANKS!!!
-jj

WalksInWinter's suggestion is a good one for your current plan.

A lot of backpackers, when checking backpacks, will use a heavy mil utility plastic bag for that purpose. They can then use that bag as a waterproof liner for the backpack in lieu of a rain cover, or just toss it in the bin upon arrival at baggage claim. For travel clothes, I wore a set of what I wore on Camino. They are comfortable for travel, so all was good :). Just a thought.

WalksInWinter's suggestion is a good one for your current plan.

A lot of backpackers, when checking backpacks, will use a heavy mil utility plastic bag for that purpose. They can then use that bag as a waterproof liner for the backpack in lieu of a rain cover, or just toss it in the bin upon arrival at baggage claim. For travel clothes, I wore a set of what I wore on Camino. They are comfortable for travel, so all was good :). Just a thought.

Couldn't have put it better! And no hassles. :)

Yes, it is expensive, but for me Express Bourricot was a good option. After you add up the cost of mailing your bag, ~ 18.50€ http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/luggage-transport plus the cost of storage ~20€ at Casa Ivar. http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html plus ~5€ per day to transport it until you get to a post office in Spain + the hassle factor, 70€ isn't bad. Especially since it's sooo easy. You just go to Express Bourricot's office, fill out some forms and pay the 70€. Then they will give you a tag to attach to your bag, which you then leave at your hotel or hostel in the morning before you start walking. As a bonus, Hostal Lasalle, where the luggage is stored will give you a 20% discount on a room in Santiago. I paid about 22€ for a pro ate room with en suite bath. I had friends who paid almost as much for a bed at the Last Stamp albergue.

Hola - this is exactly what I did last year. I agree the E70 does seem over the top - but as you say add in the "extras" and the room discount and it comes out almost even. Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola - this is exactly what I did last year. I agree the E70 does seem over the top - but as you say add in the "extras" and the room discount and it comes out almost even. Cheers
The extra money was well worth it to me to make it easier on my jet lagged self.

Greetings All,

2. Costs???
  3. Any other tips??
THANKS!!!

-jj
Hi, I shipped my travel clothes to Ivar in Santiago from the SJPdP post office. I'm sorry, I don't recall the cost but it wasn't as much as I thought it would be. I'm almost positive it won't cost as much as the other option mentioned.

As you are walking to the Pilgrims Office from the train station the Post Office will be on your right. I'm so sorry I don't have exact directions for you but I'm sure someone on here does or you can ask the Pilgrims Office.

I'm so excited for you!!
Buen Camino!!

That would be the office with the large "La Poste" signs out front. As GlobeTrekker says, on the right as you walk up the street leading form the train station.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Where in Santiago did you send stuff to?

Thanks for the info... But,

From their website:

"Price: 70 € per suitcase, 20kg max, transport and storage included. You won’t have to pay anything else once in Santiago."

YIKES!!!! 70 €

At that price I would be better off donating my stuff & buying it again in Santiago.

Are there any other cheaper options???

Cheers,

-jj

You are absolutely right. There is wonderful and inexpensive shopping in Santiago.

Last edited:
The last three years I flew in my walking clothes and put my “checked” backpack in a mesh laundry bag. While your walking put the mesh laundry bag in the bottom of your pack. It weighs nothing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I re in Lisbon. e are either going to walk from Lisbon or Porto. We have 1 18L payback we would like to send to Santiago de Compostela and store while we walk. From Lisbon I have been told I need to use the postal service. Two questions,
1. From Porto is there another method, and what would the cost be?
2.Most importantly...where does one send a bag to and what would the cost be?

We have no time limit really to walk the Camino, we will start on Sept 7th, or 8th, and finish mid to late October.....probably stop on the way to rest and site see....is the fee a daily fee??

I guess that was 5 questions!

Thank you

Instead of using a hockey duffle, how about a super light weight dry sac. I used one that weighed 5.2 oz. and upon arrival, popped backpack out, folded dry sac up (to about the size of 2 pairs of panties) and stuffed it in the bottom of my pack. The one I have is Sea to Summit Evac Dry Sac 65L. That sounds big but it was perfect size for my 36L pack and allowed top to be rolled up and clasped. No need to ship a duffel. And wear the clothes you will walk in on flight. Wash them day before you start walking. Good practice for daily hand wash

hello Walkerooni, thank you for the suggestion...however...we are currently in Lisbon getting ready for the Camino. I have my back pack as well as a day pack. We have packed light for the walk, which we will have in our back packs, but I also have a day pack with me. After our walk on the Camino, we are heading to Nepal, then to southern India, then over to Sri Lanka, back to India, and then we are not sure. We have been on thre road since January 16th, and are not going home until next April...hence we have a few items that we will not need on the Camino, but will need later on our journey. The day pack I use when we travel on buses, and I keep valuable materials in it I do not want to possibly go astray while on the bus.... so...I need to ship the day pack to Santiago de Compostela.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings All,

2. Costs???
  3. Any other tips??
THANKS!!!

-jj

Why are you travelling in different / extra clothes?
I've used the Express Bouricott service. It was well worth it!
(we has extra gear for a touring trip post Camino)

Normally I travel in my Camino gear with my back pack as carry on.
Poles and liquids/sharps etc are checked in using a mailing tube.

hello Walkerooni, thank you for the suggestion...however...we are currently in Lisbon getting ready for the Camino. I have my back pack as well as a day pack. We have packed light for the walk, which we will have in our back packs, but I also have a day pack with me. After our walk on the Camino, we are heading to Nepal, then to southern India, then over to Sri Lanka, back to India, and then we are not sure. We have been on thre road since January 16th, and are not going home until next April...hence we have a few items that we will not need on the Camino, but will need later on our journey. The day pack I use when we travel on buses, and I keep valuable materials in it I do not want to possibly go astray while on the bus.... so...I need to ship the day pack to Santiago de Compostela.
Ah, my post was intended as a reply to original poster. But lucky you, adding other travel onto your Camino! Enjoy all your travel pieces!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back