• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting the compostela same day?

MAW6

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2022
So - I’m on the Camino now and I’m hearing record numbers getting to Santiago every day. What time would someone need to arrive in Santiago to get a Compostella the same day!
I’m actually literally asking for a friend. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So - I’m on the Camino now and I’m hearing record numbers getting to Santiago every day. What time would someone need to arrive in Santiago to get a Compostella the same day!
To maximize changes of getting a same-day Compostela, I would:
a) Make sure you go to the web page and register your information for the Compostela ahead of time, probably the day before or earlier. Remember that you click "Create a group" in the upper right to submit your information, counter-intuitive as it may be.
b) Get there before the Pilgrimage Office opens at 9 am.

a) Make sure you go to the web page and register your information for the Compostela ahead of time, probably the day before or earlier. Remember that you click "Create a group" in the upper right to submit your information, counter-intuitive as it may be.
My friend was planning to walk from O Pedrouzo to Santiago and get the compostella the same day. I don’t think getting there at 9am is feasible unless she walks through the night. I need to know how late one could get to Santiago and still get the compostella the same day. If it’s not feasible, she will need to change her plans.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My friend was planning to walk from O Pedrouzo to Santiago and get the compostella the same day. I don’t think getting there at 9am is feasible unless she walks through the night. I need to know how late one could get to Santiago and still get the compostella the same day. If it’s not feasible, she will need to change her plans.
It all depends on the pilgrim traffic the day that she arrives. Back on September 2019 not long after the new system was implemented I was able to get a ticket when I arrived shortly after noon. However, less than an hour later the daily allotment of tickets had been given out.

If your friend can add some distance I suggest that she try to go a little farther than O Pedrouzo, and definitely get an early start when she walks to Santiago.

Here's the Gronze page with that stage

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It all depends on the number off Pilgrims who are already there.

The thing is - no one really has a definitive answer because there is no definitive answer. It depends on how many pilgrims arrive that day. Some days everyone will get a Compostela same day. Other days anyone arriving after noon may not be able to get on the same day. Arriving earlier in the day always increases the odds of getting the compostela the same day. How early your friend will arrive depends on how early she starts walking, how fast she walks, and how many breaks she takes. She can increase the odds of an early arrival by walking as far past O Pedrouzo is she can before stopping for the night - therefore reducing the distance she has to walk that final day. But honestly - if at all possible, just plan to spend 2 nights in Santiago - that way if she doesn't get that compostela or she doesn't get to see the Botafumeiro that first day - she can attempt to do eitehr of those things the following day. Also - Santiago is a nice enough town to hang out in for that extra day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think every day is different but we arrived in Santiago today (whoops of delight) at about 12.30. We had already completed our application for compostella and had the QR code. We were directed to a queue and given a number - about 20 mins later we had our compostella and certificate of distance. It was very organised and efficient. Well done to all at the pilgrims office.

Went to the web page but there is no USA in the nationalities. What an I missing?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just went to the website to sign up and I will arrive tomorrow but I can’t find the US on the dropdown menu. What am I missing?

Went to the web page but there is no USA in the nationalities. What an I missing?
I know it is there - but I can't pull up the page at work due to firewall - look for Estados Unidos or United States instead of USA. Hopefully if it is listed differently someone will chime in - since I can't open the page right now!

I know it is there - but I can't pull up the page at work due to firewall - look for Estados Unidos or United States instead of USA. Hopefully if it is listed differently someone will chime in - since I can't open the page right now!
It's Estados Unidos

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are running a VPN - TURN IT OFF temporarily! That will enable you to connect.

I arrived yesterday at 10.30ish and waited approximately 30mins, Santiago seemed less busy than on previous visits

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How many days in advance can one apply for the QR code for credential? We arrive on Friday and want to be as prepared as possible.

How many days in advance can one apply for the QR code for credential? We arrive on Friday and want to be as prepared as possible.
I believe that you can do the pre-registration now. Save the QR code you receive, and maybe write the alphanumeric code on your credential. They will ask for this code when you arrive at the Pilgrims Office before giving you your numbered ticket for your place in the queue.

You can register anytime that suits you, best to do it when you're relaxed. Please don't leave it until you get to the pilgrims office.

If you choose to write your code on your credential, it's important to differentiate between the number 0 and the letter O.
Other option is to take a screenshot so you can access it easy, even without phone signal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back