• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting the credential in Santiago for the Camino to Finiste

fshs

Hi,

I've never done a Camino before, and I have only 6 days to start with it this year, but I still want do do it. So I thought of doing the Camino to Finisterra in Mai.
How do I get the credential only fot this camino? Can I pick it up in Santiago or after the first day of walk in the albergue on the way?

Thanks for the Info!:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JohnnieWalker said:
You get the credencial at the first albergue on the route to Finisterre.

Just out of curiosity...say you get to Santiago from the usual starting points (like SJPP, Porto, Pamplona, etc.) and wanted to continue on to Finisterre.

Would you continue using the same credencial (provided you had room for the stamps), or get a new one in Santiago (or the "first albergue on the route to Finisterre") just to have a separate one for a souvenier/record of the Santiago to Finisterre route? :arrow:

VT

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We've done more than one camino on one credencial (for example, Camino de Madrid and Camino Ingles, separated by 2 days). We inquired at the office and were told we could use the same credencial for both routes, but perhaps leave a little space between the two to make it easier for personnel in the office. I'm guessing this would work the same for your question.

lynne

In 2008 I carried on from Santiago to Finisterre on the same credencial as I was using on the VdlP. I set off for Finisterre the day after arriving in Santiago..

vinotinto said:
JohnnieWalker said:

Just out of curiosity...say you get to Santiago from the usual starting points (like SJPP, Porto, Pamplona, etc.) and wanted to continue on to Finisterre.

Would you continue using the same credencial (provided you had room for the stamps), or get a new one in Santiago (or the "first albergue on the route to Finisterre") just to have a separate one for a souvenier/record of the Santiago to Finisterre route? :arrow:

VT

This is interesting. If there is room in the Credencial you have been using en route to Santiago then you can continue to use it on the way to Finisterre/Muxia. This is what I did and Lynne has confirmed she did the same. I think a lot of people do that. However if you want to start in Santiago and walk to Finisterre/Muxia using the albergues you will need a Credencial. The Pilgrims' Office won't give you one because they feel the "pilgrimage" ends in Santiago and will tell you that you can get a credencial at the first albergue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used the same credential each time, the first time I did the CF and photocopied a blank page from my CSJ credential before I filled it up and used that and received my Fisterrana from the alburgue in Fisterra. When I did the VDLP I had stamps everywhere on my VDLP credential and used that again to reach Fisterra and Muxia, I'm not sure what you call the certicate you receive in Muxia but I got that from the police station, a couple of Spanish pilgrims got their credential at the first alburgue.
Liz

I was in the Pilgrim Office with a young woman who had come to Santiago to begin the walk to Muxía and Finesterre. She was told at the Pilgrim Office that they did not give a credencial there and she would receive it at the first Albergue. My concern is that when I reached the first albergue it was full and there was no hospitalero in sight. I was informed that she "would be around some time later". Since the place was already "completo", I did not wait around but went with some other pilgrims to a private hostel.
I did have space left on mine as it was from the French Sociète and they use both sides of the credencial. But it might have been tricky to try to obtain a credencial in that location. I would suggest, if possible, to have an extra page photocopied or try to have some room on your credencial for your Santiago/Muxía/Fisterra sellos.
Buen Camino,

Deirdre

That is the only way to do it - I've added pages on to my Credencial many times and it is perfectly acceptable in albergues.

The Pilgrims' Office are very firm on this - when people ask for information about the route to Finisterre they are referred down the road to the Tourist Office - as far as the PO is concerned they promote the pilgrimage to Santiago!

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm afraid it's not possible to obtain a credential in the Pilgrim Office. The Camino to Fisterra doesn't exist for them.

If you have enough space in your old credential, it may be perfectly used for that.

Buen Camino!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Javier Martin said:
I'm afraid it's not possible to obtain a credential in the Pilgrim Office. The Camino to Fisterra doesn't exist for them.

If you have enough space in your old credential, it may be perfectly used for that.

Buen Camino!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I forgot to say, when you arrive in Fisterra, the ONLY important think for the hospitaler@ is if you have arrived walking or by bus, as Sil knows. It is not important where you stamp.

Buen Camino!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

JohnnieWalker said:

Buen Camino

John

Sorry to highjack this thread but I'm a bit confused here.

If you don't have a credential since before, should you just start walking without the "passport" and pick one up on your first stop in Negreira? If I get a stamp there, am I allowed to sleep in the refugio?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, indeed. The hospitalero will sell it to you.
Buen Camino!
mspath

Yes, bascially:

If you have walked to Santiago and have space in your pilgrim credencial you can keep on walking to Finisterre and get stamps in that.

If you are starting in Santiago you walk out to Negreira and you can buy a credential in the main albergue there (a little way out of town off the the left of the route).

There was a sign outside the albergue in Negreira stating that you cannot stay there without a credencial which put us off for a bit but infact if you walk in and buy a credencial you can then stay there! :D

I'm done with my little trip and I just have to say that you can buy your credential at the pilgrims pffice in Santiago. I did it and I'm lucky I did, cause when I came to the Negreira albergue it clearly said that you needed to have a credential with you. They did NOT sell any.

Don't know if they changed their policy or something but I wouldn't go from Santiago with out one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for that information. And what about your boots? What did you finally walk with?
Josefine

You can purchase a credential online from Ivar in this forum, and have it mailed to you worldwide. Minimum 2 euro + 4 euro shipping ( 2-3 week delivery ) for DHL 2 day delivery it is more expensive, about 12 euros.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back