• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting the first stamp & question about trains

titania

I'm starting my pilgimage in a couple of weeks from Ponferrada. I'll arrive there early in the morning (around 7 am) by train, and start walking right away. Is it possible to get my pilgrim's passport stamped in Ponferrada even though I'm not staying in the albergue? Can I visit the albergue in the morning and ask for a stamp? I really would like to get one from Ponferrada, as it is my starting place.

Another question about Spanish trains: I'll take the night train from Barcelona to Ponferrada, leaving on Sunday evening. Are the trains usually very full? Should I buy the ticket in advance, or will it be okay to buy it at the station a couple of hours before the departure? I've visited the Renfe website, and I could buy a regular ticket from there, but I'm not sure if it 's possible to book a bed - and I'd really like to have a place to sleep on the train because the next day is going to be hard work! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The trains may not be full but if you can book a bed it will settle your nerves a bit! We booked a bed when we took a hotel-tren from Santiago to Madrid. There were four of us in the cabin and we were given sheets, pillows and a small blanket.
You can get stamps anywhere in Ponferrada that is open at that time of the morning - not necessarily at the albergue - in cafe-bars, church, wherever is open and has a stamp.
Have a great walk.

We started in Ponferrada too, and got our first stamp at the Templar Castle and we had only walked from the bus station.

Have a great Camino.

Jerry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
the train's unlikely to be full (increasingly nowadays people fly rather than use overnight trains), but if you want to be sure of a bed, you're best off booking. You can book on the RENFE site; prices depend on number of people/beds in cabin.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.