• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Getting the "run around"...

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear...I feel your frustration @Camino Chrissy..it comes through all too clearly! A circumstance with which many members can relate.
Yes..although an unparalleled situation & of no comfort...lesson learnt. I've been fortunate; my airline of choice is always Qatar & I book directly with them. They have been very proactive with the situation & offered full refunds through an online link...no phone calls, no 'negotiating'...done. They even apologise the refund may take several days to process!
With 8 flight legs in total on 3 different airlines, I'm so relieved the biggest outlay has been the least hassle.
Please keep us updated with how you go...your plight will unfortunately be echoed many times on the Forum alone.
Best wishes for a positive outcome. 🤗
👣 🌏

Tassie Kazrobbo... any luck with Qatar? Nothing this end!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tassie Kazrobbo... any luck with Qatar? Nothing this end!
I rang Qatar in the 48-72hour window prior to my intended departure (Tue 5/5) to clarify where I stood with the one flight segment which hadn't been cancelled by the airline.
They assured me I would receive a full refund regardless.
A few days later, I received an email from Qatar stating they had received my refund request (submitted mid April) & it would be processed in 8 weeks. I'm uncertain if that meant 8 weeks from my refund request date or from the email date. As you still haven't received your refund, I'm assuming the latter!
I have no doubt they'll come good with the refund...it's just a matter of when.
Good luck & please keep me posted. 🤞
👣 🌏

Update #3
I am very frustrated and starting to feel helpless. I am sure this is what Expedia and Iberia want...to wear me down and give up trying for a refund. If I do give up, then I hope my party of 3 are able to accept vouchers as a last resort. I do not even know if the newbies would be able to plan to go again next year so vouchers are not really a good option for them.
I called Expedia today and only had a half hour being on hold this time. They had requested "waiver codes" for the flight refunds from Iberia through emails they sent on April 16th and again on April 23rd but they have received no response back from Iberia either time. (Iberia supposedly tells them they will not accept phone calls from them).
I then called Iberia myself (which I had done on the 16th) and they still say I must only go through Expedia. I then said "but you are not responding to their emails". I was then told that Expedia must not be providing the proper information to them. I know that they are as I have a copy of Expedia's email to Iberia. Every jot, tittle, correct itinerary and booking numbers, and all our names are included in the email.
So then I decided next to contact my credit card company. A recording said my wait time would be an hour, I waited with the music, only to be cut off and disconnected automatically after 40 minutes.
My next plan will be to contact my flight insurance through AIG. I had called them as soon as my flight was canceled and was told my request would be reviewed by an adjustor "case by case" and that I should find out from Expedia first before I fill out a form for a report. I think I know how that will go if I do..."Run around, run around"...it's a merry-go- round, but not any fun. 😐
I am mainly sending this update for myself to let off some steam as I do not expect many forum members to bother reading through this lengthy negative, yet factual post.
Tut, tut, Camino Chrissy, you know how we live to read posts!;)
I have an idea of what you are going through--many times I have wanted to throw my laptop against the wall because of the way these companies are treating us. Don't give up--they all try to give you the runaround in hopes you will despair, as you say. I do suggest to call your bank/credit card folks again. From what my friend said (he works for a major credit card company), your bank that provides your card is your best bet. As I understand it, the legalese boils down to the seller not providing the goods, hence you are not forced to pay. There is some form of Dispute Resolution through the credit card, which means the card company must go to bat for you if you file a complaint. Is there a way to fill out a complaint form using their website so you don't have to phone them again? If you do have to phone any of these folks again, I also suggest reading Winnie-the-Pooh while you are on hold! It keeps the spirits lifted and makes you realize things can be right with the world!🤞 Do keep us informed how things go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
UPDATE #1: BBB shook Orbitz awake, but Orbitz says LATAM will charge 70% of ticket price to cancel. I called LATAM again and they said not true, they are giving vouchers at 100% for one year. I pressed and the agent yielded two years. Orbitz repeated the 70% fine answer.
argghhh!!
Now, Orbitz says, "wait until a few days before. Then, apply again. Which is their standard dodge.
This is so frustrating.
i agree...from now on, I go directly to the airline to book!

I had my flights to & from Peru (Machu Picchu hike) cancelled by United. They gave me an option to use a voucher anywhere in the world until 2023. I took it.
Then, it was on to Orbitz to get my LATAM flights refunded...zzzzzzzzz
same run around as the others: wait until 3 days before.
So, I called LATAM direct. They answered immediately and had no problem refunding my flight as Peru is essentially closed. B U T...they didn't know what I paid for the flight. "Only Orbitz knows that. So, sorry, but they have to do the refund."
On to the BBB and FTC for resolution help! No response yet...

UPDATE #1: BBB shook Orbitz awake, but Orbitz says LATAM will charge 70% of ticket price to cancel. I called LATAM again and they said not true, they are giving vouchers at 100% for one year. I pressed and the agent yielded two years. Orbitz repeated the 70% fine answer.
argghhh!!
Now, Orbitz says, "wait until a few days before. Then, apply again. Which is their standard dodge.
This is so frustrating.
i agree...from now on, I go directly to the airline to book!
It sounds like you are trying to cancel. You need to wait for the airline to cancel, then you will be eligible for a 100% refund, less any fees owed to Orbitz that you agreed to when you purchased the ticket.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But better to get the run around directly from the airline than to get it from the airline and the "agent".
Original poster, here, with an update: About a month before my scheduled departure of May 15, I finally just decided to call United Airlines and ask for a refund. First miracle: no hours-long wait on hold; I was put right through to an agent. Second miracle: I was given a refund. Well, maybe not so miraculous -- although I had a non-refundable ticket, the agent put me on hold for a few minutes, then returned to announce my flight was "refund eligible." What that meant, I found out later, was that United at cancelled the flights, but had not yet posted/informed customers of that decision. Happy for the refund, but sad to know my walk is truly cancelled, at least for the near term.

NEWS FLASH!
Just this morning I had an email saying my credit card was reimbursed for one of our round trip international flights from Chicago to Madrid. It was booked on Expedia, so they did follow through. This particular flight was booked later for my brother in law as he was joining us later on. His flight was on British Airways, whereas the other three of us are on IBERIA...apparently they are the bigger problem.
Either way, I am happy that my efforts have "paid off" for one of us! Yeah! 😀

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had some seperate inter Europeon flights cancelled by the airlines that were scheduled for the latter part of March. Initially, Lufthansa, said they would refund the money. Now they are dragging their feet..even though they tell me in writing that the European Union rules do require them to refund the money. Finally, I contacted Amercan Express and asked them to intervene. I think the airlines are just trying to wait us customers out. Do be persistent!

Same company.
Really? Both are owned by the same company? British Airways responded rather quickly to Expedia's email request for a refund...but Iberia has not replied to two or three attempts by Expedia to email them to get refund approval. I then called Iberia directly myself to see why they do not reply to Expedia and they bordered on rude and refused to help me...just saying.

Both are owned by the same company?
I do not think so but they are in an alliance network. By that I mean to fly from from A to B you may not be able on airline 1 but you can fly from A to C and from C to B on allied airline 2. Airline 1 can thus sell you a ticket for the full A to C to B flight and the airlines split the fare. In this case airline 1 should be able to refund the full fare even if airline 2 does not want this.

Now, in another case, you may have booked from online facilitator company X. X may have bought your tickets from airline 1 separately from airline 2. So we have two allied airlines involved but the tickets were bought outside the alliance methods. You ask X for a refund and before giving you that refund they ask the airlines to refund them, X. Maybe only airline 1 wants to do this.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I do not think so but they are in an alliance network. By that I mean to fly from from A to B you may not be able on airline 1 but you can fly from A to C and from C to B on allied airline 2. Airline 1 can thus sell you a ticket for the full A to C to B flight and the airlines split the fare. In this case airline 1 should be able to refund the full fare even if airline 2 does not want this.

Now, in another case, you may have booked from online facilitator company X. X may have bought your tickets from airline 1 separately from airline 2. So we have two allied airlines involved but the tickets were bought outside the alliance methods. You ask X for a refund and before giving you that refund they ask the airlines to refund them, X. Maybe only airline 1 wants to do this.
They are owned by the same company - International Airlines Group

ABC...XYZ! Thanks Rick, for explaining. I kind of understand...😊

👈 👉 You are getting the timeless trick of it is the other guys fault.

Hang in there persistence usually wins out.

I usually do my search on Kayak or Google air and then book on the airline website if same price.

I have run into the situation of a delayed flight causing me to miss a connection. The issue was my connecting flight only occurred twice a week. So I ended up buying last minute ticket for a ridiculous price and a middle seat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
👈 👉 You are getting the timeless trick of it is the other guys fault.

Hang in there persistence usually wins out.

I usually do my search on Kayak or Google air and then book on the airline website if same price.

I have run into the situation of a delayed flight causing me to miss a connection. The issue was my connecting flight only occurred twice a week. So I ended up buying last minute ticket for a ridiculous price and a middle seat.
I have only used kayak for years, but will now rethink it. Often the main US airlines were often quite a bit more expensive on it, but in the future I will reconsider for sure!

Update #3
I am very frustrated and starting to feel helpless. I am sure this is what Expedia and Iberia want...to wear me down and give up trying for a refund. If I do give up, then I hope my party of 3 are able to accept vouchers as a last resort. I do not even know if the newbies would be able to plan to go again next year so vouchers are not really a good option for them.
I called Expedia today and only had a half hour being on hold this time. They had requested "waiver codes" for the flight refunds from Iberia through emails they sent on April 16th and again on April 23rd but they have received no response back from Iberia either time. (Iberia supposedly tells them they will not accept phone calls from them).
I then called Iberia myself (which I had done on the 16th) and they still say I must only go through Expedia. I then said "but you are not responding to their emails". I was then told that Expedia must not be providing the proper information to them. I know that they are as I have a copy of Expedia's email to Iberia. Every jot, tittle, correct itinerary and booking numbers, and all our names are included in the email.
So then I decided next to contact my credit card company. A recording said my wait time would be an hour, I waited with the music, only to be cut off and disconnected automatically after 40 minutes.
My next plan will be to contact my flight insurance through AIG. I had called them as soon as my flight was canceled and was told my request would be reviewed by an adjustor "case by case" and that I should find out from Expedia first before I fill out a form for a report. I think I know how that will go if I do..."Run around, run around"...it's a merry-go- round, but not any fun. 😐
I am mainly sending this update for myself to let off some steam as I do not expect many forum members to bother reading through this lengthy negative, yet factual post.
I’m sorry you’re having problems with Iberia. I have called twice to reschedule or request a refund. Took about less than five minutes each time to get through to a real person. Maybe that’s because I booked directly with them and not through a third-party.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m sorry you’re having problems with Iberia. I have called twice to reschedule or request a refund. Took about less than five minutes each time to get through to a real person. Maybe that’s because I booked directly with them and not through a third-party.
Yep, that's definately why. I have a friend who had good tesults with them too...booked directly. I think he paid for an upgraded seat.

NEWS FLASH!
Just this morning I had an email saying my credit card was reimbursed for one of our round trip international flights from Chicago to Madrid. It was booked on Expedia, so they did follow through. This particular flight was booked later for my brother in law as he was joining us later on. His flight was on British Airways, whereas the other three of us are on IBERIA...apparently they are the bigger problem.

Yeaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: After reading @CrissyCaminos update I checked my credit card and found it had been credited the amount I had spent purchasing my airfare to Portugal. While I am grateful to have the amount back in my pocket I am still feeling the "sting" of not being able to follow through with my initial travel plans.........

Looking towards next year...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When this is all over, we on this Forum may want to, a) collect our data on which airlines and booking companies were most/least helpful and note that information for everyone, b) double down and find some plain, ol' fashioned, dinosaur-era travel agents to help where available, c) compare notes on travel/flight insurance.
One thing I'm pretty sure about, the nature of reserving flights and of refund policies will be different from now on.

When this is all over, we on this Forum may want to, a) collect our data on which airlines and booking companies were most/least helpful and note that information for everyone, b) double down and find some plain, ol' fashioned, dinosaur-era travel agents to help where available, c) compare notes on travel/flight insurance.
One thing I'm pretty sure about, the nature of reserving flights and of refund policies will be different from now on.

While I believe this could be a helpful thing for all of us, I believe the biggest variable would be this once in a lifetime pandemic we are all part of. I would hate to single out compan(ies) who were alleged to have been most/least helpful and hurt them anymore than this pandemic already has done to them.

While I believe this could be a helpful thing for all of us, I believe the biggest variable would be this once in a lifetime pandemic we are all part of. I would hate to single out compan(ies) who were alleged to have been most/least helpful and hurt them anymore than this pandemic already has done to them.
Hey, Bob, I see your point about trying to hold someone/thing accountable for what they did or didn't do during unprecedented times. Might not be fair.

Perhaps we could see how they change or don't change their policies in the future, in light of what they "learn" from this experience. Will transportation companies offer clearer options in times of unexpected disruptions? Since their customers gave them their $$ in good faith, I would support companies that make it easier to compensate in good faith (subjective, to be sure).

And, it also seems that much distress is caused by a simple lack of communication. It seems to take hours, days, weeks, for people to get hold of a person on the phone. Is this collateral damage of our societies' reliance more and more on computers rather than people? Maybe we need to bring more trained human beings back into the picture. Do we need to re-think these industries more as service and hospitality industries?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It seems I am not alone in this quest for a flight refund. Vueling offered me the option of voucher or refund for a flight from Vienna to San Sebastion via Barcelona. I chose "refund" as who knows what the future will bring!
I then received an email saying they were offering me a "voucher" and to do this online as phones were plugged. I tried on line and was told that because I didn't do the booking, I had to go through my travel agent. I made the booking myself, it was not through a travel agent!!! Dead end. I tried calling the number in Spain, message said to call during business hours. I set my alarm for 4:30 AM because of the time difference, called and they are open Monday to Friday. It was Saturday morning that I called 🙃
On an extended trip to Italy I took a side trip to Oviedo so my wife could do some research and we could walk about 10 miles on the Primitivo route as it left Oviedo. The flight was on Vueling from Naples, to Barcelona, to Oviedo returning on the same route. On the return they decided they would have a strike and wanted to reroute us to Madrid with no flight returning us to Naples. We opted to cancel the return and rebook through Iberia. This worked for us as we made all the connecting flights and were not stranded. But after applying for refunds, filing complaints with first Vueling, then IAG, then the proper EU authorities our airfare seemed to vaporize. This was 2 years ago and we still have not heard a peep and have no hope of getting our money back. Needless to say Vueling is permanently OFF our list of airlines to use.

So I say good luck, you have my prayers, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It seems I am not alone in this quest for a flight refund. Vueling offered me the option of voucher or refund for a flight from Vienna to San Sebastion via Barcelona. I chose "refund" as who knows what the future will bring!
I then received an email saying they were offering me a "voucher" and to do this online as phones were plugged. I tried on line and was told that because I didn't do the booking, I had to go through my travel agent. I made the booking myself, it was not through a travel agent!!! Dead end. I tried calling the number in Spain, message said to call during business hours. I set my alarm for 4:30 AM because of the time difference, called and they are open Monday to Friday. It was Saturday morning that I called 🙃

Vueling update!
I did get through and they are refunding me. Because of the overload they were doing it a month at a time and in order. I'm to watch for the refund on my credit card in the next 8 weeks:)
British Airways and Westjet only offered vouchers☹

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh dear...I feel your frustration @Camino Chrissy..it comes through all too clearly! A circumstance with which many members can relate.
Yes..although an unparalleled situation & of no comfort...lesson learnt. I've been fortunate; my airline of choice is always Qatar & I book directly with them. They have been very proactive with the situation & offered full refunds through an online link...no phone calls, no 'negotiating'...done. They even apologise the refund may take several days to process!
With 8 flight legs in total on 3 different airlines, I'm so relieved the biggest outlay has been the least hassle.
Please keep us updated with how you go...your plight will unfortunately be echoed many times on the Forum alone.
Best wishes for a positive outcome. 🤗
👣 🌏

Today 19 May 2020 I managed to talk to Qatar Airways. First they told me I was to get a Voucher. I said I had already requested a Refund. Long story short they said I would get a Refund in 28 days.
28 Days Latter, wasn't that a movie about 28 days after a zombie virus hit the world? Just sayin 🤔

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
23 May20. Email from Qatar Airways stating that my Full Airfare ☺ is being refunded.
Yes, I will rebook direct with Qatar when it is Covid-19 safe.

Buen Camino
I now have my full refund from Qatar too...just minus the credit card fee. I'm so relieved but like others, it's still a little disappointing to see where I should have been on this day...
If it's any future assistance, like @BruceS, I booked direct with Qatar & they have been upfront, very fair & kept me informed throughout the whole mess. Yes..it's taken awhile but I didn't have to stress about if I was going to be refunded.
Patience & perseverance... 😇
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Update #4 & #5
I never reported on #4 as it was more of the same...run around...merry go round. 🎡
Today I alled Expedia again and was on hold for nearly three hours...seriously! Then when I finally got a human he looked up my itinerary number (it took him at least five minutes on hold). When he came back to the phone he said he needed to put me through to the department that could "help" me, so he put me on hold again. I waited on hold for an additiinal ten minutes and then the call...disconnected.
I booked these international flights on Iberia airlines for three family members so it is no small change.
I'm losing my resolve. I don't think I'll even try to work on getting refunds for our additional six "in Spain" flights through Orbitz.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update #4 & #5
I never reported on #4 as it was more of the same...run around...merry go round. 🎡
Today I alled Expedia again and was on hold for nearly three hours...seriously! Then when I finally got a human he looked up my itinerary number (it took him at least five minutes on hold). When he came back to the phone he said he needed to put me through to the department that could "help" me, so he put me on hold again. I waited on hold for an additiinal ten minutes and then the call...disconnected.
I booked these international flights on Iberia airlines for three family members so it is no small change.
I'm losing my resolve. I don't think I'll even try to work on getting refunds for our additional six "in Spain" flights through Orbitz.
Have you tried contacting them through Twitter? I have found support via Twitter to be much more effective than via phone call. Plus you aren't hanging there on hold.

Were all of these flights cancelled by the airline?

Have you tried contacting them through Twitter? I have found support via Twitter to be much more effective than via phone call. Plus you aren't hanging there on hold.

Were all of these flights cancelled by the airline?
No, I do not use Twitter, but it's a good idea.
When I call Expedia they do give an option right away to have them call you back and it says you will not lose your "place" in its order. I think I will start choosing that option (if I can trust it). I think I'll also go in to their website and see if they have a robotic chatbox I can correspond with... better than nothing.😐

No, I do not use Twitter, but it's a good idea.
When I call Expedia they do give an option right away to have them call you back and it says you will not lose your "place" in its order. I think I will start choosing that option (if I can trust it). I think I'll also go in to their website and see if they have a robotic chatbox I can correspond with... better than nothing.😐
It's worth it to get a Twitter account just for these purposes. I just resolved an issue that I was having with DirecTV/ATT via Twitter after a couple of long phone calls that got me nowhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Newest update!
My credit card has finally been credited for the three international flights from Chicago to Madrid...Yay! Persistence finally paid off as I preferred to not take the vouchers. I'd been calling Expedia on and off since April 16th.
Now I'm just waiting for a few less expensive, shorter flights within Spain to be refunded.

EDIT- One more refund for three of us was just credited for one of our flights within Spain!
Just waiting now on the last one.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Now I'm just waiting for a few less expensive, shorter flights within Spain to be refunded.

They have 8 weeks from when you first asked (complained) before you can access EU Alternative Dispute Resolution. Free to passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back